Patient Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: kimmie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have just been diagnosed with gastritis. I have had a lot of stomach pain for over a week now. I've ended up in the emergency room twice for this. I came home and researched it and have all the symptoms. I have a lot of itching with this.

Comment from: Ayya, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Because of gastritis I have difficulties in eating especially in morning.

Comment from: Jilly B., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I can feel quite hungry and have a bite and the feeling goes. Also I have been ok since May but I had an Indian and was so ill all night vomiting acid and burning my throat, so no more for me. I have to be very careful what I eat because of my gastritis.

Comment from: Faisal M., 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I have been suffering from gastritis since last 10 years but no one diagnosed that this is a type of gastritis. The doctor has just given me medicines like omeprazole but my problem is I am getting headache and I feel that it is because of gas.

Comment from: swekel9580, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 29

I have had gastritis for a little over a year now. I have had 2 upper endoscopies done, the last one was this past August. The upper endoscopies showed nothing but mild gastritis and I was put on 20 mg of Prilosec once in the morning and that has been for a year now. I recently went back to my gastroenterologist and he upped the dose to 40 mg once in the morning. It has been 3 weeks now and I really don't feel a difference. I am also taking 1 gm of Carafate 4 times a day which helps a little. But I am starting to get heart burn which is getting worse and I can feel it in my back and in my stomach. I heard that drugs like Prilosec are really bad for you and too little acid in your stomach can cause heartburn. I am going back to my gastroenterologist on March 9th to talk about this and possibly get another endoscopy to see what's going on and see if the gastritis is healed so I can get off of these drugs. I am scared to death of getting cancer. I am only 35 and I shouldn't have to deal with this. I am sure stress has a lot to do with what's happening to me but I can't help it, stress is in my genes. After my appointment I will let everyone know what's going on. Thanks for letting me rant.

Comment from: fungooleyruley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in October 2012 and part of my treatment was radiation therapy. Not long after that I was diagnosed with gastritis after having an endoscopy and colonoscopy to work out what was causing my symptoms. I was prescribed Nexium which seemed to work for me and the symptoms subsided until last week. I also suffer from diverticulosis which has flared up into diverticulitis on two occasions, one being very recently, and subsequently I was hospitalized for IV antibiotic treatment for 48 hours. It's been a real roller coaster ride for me these past few years and now that the gastritis has once again reared its ugly head I will just have to try harder to avoid things that are causing it, like soft drinks. After all is said and done though, it would appear as though in my case the initial cause was the radiation treatment for the breast cancer. Life can sure be cruel sometimes!

Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - OTC and Prescription Medications Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?
Gastritis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis?
Gastritis - Diet to Sooth Symptoms Question: What foods have you found help sooth or treat your gastritis/