Patient Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Comment from: Bloating, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I think I have gastritis however I have not only had heart burn, but really bad low abdominal pain and serious bloating, and the pain even overpowers the heart burn.

Comment from: LONEYGIRL1962, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

When I eat anything, I belch like crazy and my stomach is bloated bad, after a couple of days it goes away. I am so sick of feeling so bad with gastritis.

Comment from: Susie q, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have had gastritis on and off from the time I was young. The wonder cure for me was aloe vera taken as a drink. Not only did it sooth my burning stomach but it went away for years. Flax seed mixed with a little hot water to make quite a thick but drinkable mixture is also wonderful for taking away the burning. It has lots of beneficial properties also, as does aloe vera. These are tried and tested and worked for me during pregnancy to get rid of heart burn and I swear by them to this day.

Comment from: Gajanan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

My gastritis started as a pain after meals, then at night when I lay down to sleep it literally felt like contractions in my upper stomach. The pain was dull and I used to ignore it for 2 to 3 months, I suppose I found reason also. I consumed a lot of alcohol and smoked cigarettes last year. It had started when I smoked that morning. I could feel that something was wrong with my stomach. I could feel burning inside me. Now, it is 2 months after and I can still feel that something is wrong with my stomach. I've visited the doctor and am on medication. But now, I still feel some pain.

Comment from: Sully, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I too suffer from gastritis and colitis after years of taking meloxicam and other NSAIDS. Although not a cure all, I have found that eating quinoa in a morning egg casserole has helped me immensely. I stumbled on this as an aid when trying to add more nutrition to my diet through good eating. It keeps my bowel movements totally regular, since irregularity was another major issue from my diagnosis. Now my flare-ups are more associated with the gastritis pain. Just google quinoa egg breakfast casserole for a recipe. When in a flare-up, I make my morning casserole without the veggies. I have grown to love quinoa.

Comment from: Marichold, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have had chronic gastritis for about seven years. During an attack I am in absolute agony and cannot function. I was admitted to hospital the first time I had an attack, doctors suspected gallstones but gastroscopy showed gastritis. For some reason I was told I had gastritis but not that the agonizing attacks were the result so I had no idea what was wrong! It was another four years before another doctor said "that sounds like gastritis". Since then I have been taking lansoprazole every day. Last summer I was told to double the dose as I was having one attack after another. I was to go back to one dose after about two weeks if I could tolerate it. I still can"t! Despite a year of double doses I still have frequent horrendous attacks. Medical profession isn"t interested. My current record during an attack is 43 Buscopan tablets! If anyone has any advice I am interested.

Comment from: Philos17, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am a 19 year old who suffered with gastritis for 3 years before a doctor did basic tests. Unlike others it seems, I have a constant urge to vomit when I have it, I can't help it, I will just keep throwing up even when there is nothing left in my stomach to throw up. It's painful and makes me feel absolutely horrible. In the end, whenever I had it I would vomit blood. It was down to helicobacter pylori and thank goodness that I managed to find a decent doctor to test for it as a course of antibiotics has really helped me.

Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis?
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis? Did you go to a doctor?
Gastritis - Diagnosis Question: What types of exams or tests led to a diagnosis of gastritis? If you had an endoscopy, please describe the procedure.
Gastritis - OTC and Prescription Medications Question: What types of treatment, including medications, did you receive for gastritis?
Gastritis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic gastritis.
Gastritis - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your gastritis?
Gastritis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with gastritis?
Gastritis - Diet to Sooth Symptoms Question: What foods have you found help sooth or treat your gastritis/