Table of Contents
- Gastritis facts
- What is gastritis?
- What causes gastritis?
- What are the symptoms of gastritis?
- How is gastritis diagnosed?
- What OTC and prescription medications treat gastritis?
- What home remedies are available to treat gastritis?
- What foods reduce stop H. pylori growth and or soothe gastritis symptoms?
- What foods aggravate gastritis symptoms?
- What are the complications of gastritis?
- What is the prognosis of gastritis?
- How is gastritis prevented?
What causes gastritis?
A major cause of both acute and chronic gastritis is infection of the stomach mucosa by a bacterial species named Helicobacter pylori. Usually, this bacterium first infects the stomach antrum (stomach mucosa without acid-producing cells) acutely and may progress to infect most or all of the stomach's mucosa over time (chronic gastritis) and remain there for years. This infection generates an initial strong inflammatory response and eventually, a long-term chronic inflammation with intestinal cell changes may develop. Another major cause of acute and chronic gastritis is the use (and overuse) of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
However, there are many other causes of gastritis; the following is a list of common causes of both acute and chronic gastritis; chronic gastritis may occur with repeated or continual presence of most of these causes:
- Bacterial, viral and parasitic infections
- Certain drugs (cocaine)
- Bile reflux
- Fungal infections
- Allergic reactions
- Stress reaction
- Certain food poisonings (infectious and chemical)
In general, infectious agents, especially Helicobacter pylori, and NSAIDs are responsible for the majority of people with gastritis. Continue Reading
Marcus, A., MD. "Chronic Gastritis." Medscape. Dec 19,2014
NutritionMD. "Gastritis and Peptic Ulcer Disease: Nutritional Considerations."
Oregon State University, Linus Puling Pauling Institute, Micronutrient Information Center. "Flavonoids."
University of Maryland Medical Center. Gastritis. Aug 15, 2013
Univeristy of Michigan; Integrative Medicine. "Healing Foods Pyramid™"
Wehbi, M. MD. "Acute Gastritis." Medscape. Sep 18,2014
1. Getty Images
2. Getty Images
3. Getty Images
4. Getty Images
5. Getty Images
7. Getty Images
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Newsletters
Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!