Patient Comments: Gardner's Syndrome - Share Your Experience

Have you been diagnosed with adenomatous polyposis? Please share your experience with Gardner's syndrome.

Comment from: Katie2010, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

My mother passed on her Gardner's syndrome gene to me and one of my brothers. I got tested for the disease with the rest of my siblings at a young age. At the age of 13 I got my first colonoscopy. It showed only 2 or 3 polyps. Now, at 21, I have undergone my 5th colonoscopy and first endoscopy. The results showed around 100 polyps in my stomach, and about 100 more in my large intestine. Many were biopsied, and I am currently waiting for the pathology results. The doctor said we should begin to think about surgery.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: IRENE, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am one of five children who were diagnosed with Gardner"s Syndrome. At the age of 19 a colectomy was performed on myself and all of my siblings who were all under the age of 20. After 10 years it was decided that we should all have ileostomies. Sadly only two of the five children survived after a number of years. The eldest and the two youngest all died under the age of 38. Gardner"s syndrome was traced back to the female side of the family.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Gardner's Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with Gardner's Syndrome? What kinds of tests or procedures have you received?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.