Patient Comments: Gangrene - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gangrene.

A Doctor's View on Gangrene Causes and Risk Factors

Read the Comment by Gayle M. Galletta, MD, FACEP

Bacterial infection and lack of blood supply can cause gangrene, or tissue death. Gangrene risk factors include diabetes, age, smoking, IV drug use, and Raynaud's phenomenon. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: sunshinerita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I am now 64 years old. When I was 15 years old in 1965, I was admitted to the hospital with sinusitis, meningitis, Bell's palsy and a fever of 106. It was determined ultimately that the sinus condition caused the leaking of bacteria into my brain and gangrene was formed in the frontal lobes of my brain. I went through bilateral sinus surgeries, a temperature of 106 for about 2 to 3 weeks, bone marrow depression from massive dosages of antibiotics, anemia, and bleeding in my intestines. I suffered from difficulty recognizing faces and poor impulse control for many years. To this day, I still experience residual weakness, difficulty recognizing faces, occasional depression, and an inability to walk/stand for more than 3 to 5 minutes.

Comment from: ZAHEER, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My wife was suffering from the wet gangrene in the right foot sole (heel) and she is also diabetic (IDDM). We had gone for treating this problem at the hospital and the doctors cleaned her wound and removed the dead tissue and skin; they did this 4 times. Every time they cut the wound they advised us to maintain the blood glucose and not walk or use that foot. She first took antibiotic Augmentin 1G twice a day for ten days. After the third time when they removed black tissue from the foot they changed to Avelox 400mg once a day for further ten days along with pain killers. But during that she was suffering many times with acute fever and cold and the dressing of wound with antiseptic lotion (Eusol) was painful and she would tell me to avoid cleaning the wound in the hospital because the infection was close to heel bone. They did not admit her in the hospital for proper hospitalized treatment. Now in serious condition we decided to try other therapies for healing the wound. Last night I took my wife to a remedy clinic, which also treats diabetic patient's wounds. They checked her and advised some additional medicines for clots and painkiller tablets with antibiotic injection Tienam 500mg (imipenem and cilastatin sodium MSD) plus dressing of the wound. Last night she slept well.

Comment from: migslife, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 06

Almost 1 year ago my mother was admitted in a rehab facility during this time a podiatrist arrived and in his attempt to clean my mother's toe nails he accidentally cut a piece of her skin. Due to this insanity my mother has progressive gangrene on three of her toes. Her toes never healed due to her diabetes and she will possibly get all her toes amputated. My mother has been receiving HBOT for 2 weeks now, but I am not sure how much will this help her. It's outrages how something like this could happen to her at a professional facility. Patients aren't safe even in hospitals and in the hands of doctors. My mother has and continues to suffer great pain.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 05

My dad had stage III advance to Stage IV with sepsis, staph and MRSA. After he had a debrivement, the bedsores still advanced. With all the trials of antibiotics, he started to smell like a dead animal. His ears, his ankles, his whole body seemed to rot away and he loss 40 lbs. now only weighing 128 lbs. at 5'11" tall. He was in a nursing home when all this started. Even bedsores on the bottom of his feet. He was so tall in his wheel chair, his feet sat flat on the floor. Once my dad was diagnosed with Sepsis and MRSA to the point of debrievement. Does he have any chance of survival? I've been researching on this web site I think the answere is no.

Comment from: ZAHEER, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 26

My wife is suffering from wet gangrene in her right foot heel for the last 36 days and treatment is still continuing.

Comment from: Chris, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My dad with diabetes hit his leg on a stool leg. Later he experienced that the wound never healed because of self-medication. Severe gangrene developed and his small toe was amputated improperly by the doctor. Later the remaining toes and back of the leg developed gangrene and his forefoot was amputated. He died grief-stricken. I think severity in gangrene leads to fatality. Stop smoking is what the doctors say. I was with my dad nearby during his hospitalization and amputation.

Gangrene - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your gangrene?
Gangrene - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your gangrene?