Patient Comments: Ganglion - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your ganglion? Please share your experience.

Comment from: MJS0613, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

When I was 11 a ganglion cyst formed on my right wrist at the joint. It was the size of a golf ball. I went to the doctors for months getting it drained. The doctor was shocked at the size. The doctor would draw no less than 3cc of fluid each time. The cyst never softened or went down. I would warm it with heating pad and roll with a shot glass to try to get it to go away. This went on for 2 1/2 years. Finally the doctor informed me that it would need to be removed surgically since it was not going away and draining it did not help. Two weeks before I was scheduled to have it removed, I remember hitting my wrist against the wall. The next day it was gone. It has not returned. Other than a little pinching in that area if I do a lot of typing with no support, I have not had any issues.

Comment from: polly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had a ganglion removed when I was 14. I had the same operation twice more. This was on my right inner ankle. In the end 25 years later, I had my below knee amputation, due to the surgeon making a mess of sewing it up. He attached nerve endings and tendons to scar, this was very painful for a lot of years. I was in and out of the hospital having different treatments, i.e., physiotherapy, guanethidine blocks, and nothing seemed to work. So I opted for amputation in the end which was 5 years ago. I have not had any reaction to pain since I have had it done.

Comment from: bakersix, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I had a large ganglion cyst removed from my knee when I was 15 that has not returned. I am 26 now and have been dealing with large cysts on my knuckles for years, which usually occur only during the winter months.

Ganglion - Experience Question: What was your experience with a ganglion?