Patient Comments: Ganglion - Experience

What was your experience with a ganglion?

Comment from: McKinneyflowerlady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

Back in the early 70s, I developed a ganglion cyst on my wrist. The doctor said he could surgically remove it but as a young person, married with a baby, this wasn't for me (let alone the expense). I told my (wonderful) mother-in-law about it and she told me how people took care of them many, many years ago. She said I should take the heaviest book in the house, and whack the cyst hard. Well, it did work for me. You do have to whack it hard, kind of like a cartoon "bong" seeing stars. What it actually does is break the sac of fluid and the body absorbs it on its own. It never came back. I would I do it again. Most certainly!

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had one on my left wrist at that point where you take pulse readings. It was the size of a blueberry and it was there for about a year. It is now gone without any intervention whatsoever. It did not hurt or bother me. It did not grow any bigger, it just disappeared.

Comment from: Hairzone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had a ganglion covering the Guyon's canal in the palm of my hand. It was cutting off the nerves to my pinky and ring finger. I have neuropathy from it. It was removed after it was discovered but the damage was already done.

Ganglion - Treatment Question: What treatment did you receive for your ganglion? Please share your experience.