What other names is Gamma-hydroxybutyrate (ghb) known by?
4-Hydroxybutanoate, 4-Hydroxy Butyrate, 4-hydroxybutyric acid, Acide 4-hydroxybutanoïque, Acide Gamma-Hydroxybutyrique, Acide Gamma-Hydroxy-Butyrique, Ecstasy Liquide, Gamma Hydrate, Gamma-Hydroxybutyrate, Gamma-Hydroxy-Butyrate, Gamma Hydroxy-Butyrate de Sodium, Gamma Hydroxybutyrate Sodium, Gamma Hydroxybutyric Acid, Gamma-Hidroxibutirato, Gamma-OH, Oxybate de Sodium, Oxybutyrate de Sodium, Sodium 4-hydroxybutyrate, Sodium gamma-hydroxybutyrate, Sodium Oxybate, Sodium Oxybutyrate.
What is Gamma-hydroxybutyrate (ghb)?
Gamma hydroxybutyrate (GHB) is a chemical found in the brain and other areas of the body. It can also be made in a laboratory. People use it as medicine.
Possibly Effective for...
- Pain, fatigue, and sleep problems associated with a condition called fibromyalgia.
- Alcohol dependence and withdrawal.
- Treatment of loss of muscle control and weakness associated with a condition called narcolepsy.
- Withdrawal from heroin, opium, morphine, and other opiate drugs.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Reducing weight, enhancing muscle growth, use as an aphrodisiac, reducing pressure in the brain caused by head injury, and other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).