Patient Comments: Gallstones - Symptoms

For gallstones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: fred1234, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I am a 44 year old male in average shape, only problem I have had is anxiety besides the big problem! I was diagnosed with a gallbladder that is functioning at 4 percent three years ago, when I got very sick and had pain in stomach. After the HIDA scan and ultrasound there were no stones. After a month and a half pain went away, I only had a few attacks for three years. I have seen two surgeons when all that started, one said take it out the other said if it is not bothering not to worry about it. Well, here I am three years later with severe stomach pain, bloating, and pain going from center of my stomach to back upper right. I went to the emergency room, they did a CT and ultra sound and said no stones, but biliary colic. They referred me to a surgeon but he can't see me till June. So, in the meanwhile I feel miserable each day, extremely tired and no energy. I started vomiting recently which is totally new, I never vomit. No fever but dry itchy skin. I'm so confused. If I had stones I would understand, I can get it out but I wonder if a dysfunctional gallbladder can cause all these problems. I don't want a surgery as that is not going to solve my problems and I have heard so many mixed things online.

Comment from: MeMe, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

My first attack was when I was 18, I was out with friends and felt a sudden sharp pain on my right side just under my bust which radiated to my right shoulder blade and nausea. Within minutes I was doubled over in pain and finding it very hard to breathe which made me panic making breathing even harder. I was rushed to the emergency room and the doctor diagnosed me with a chest infection. It took another 10 months until I was finally diagnosed with gallstones. I learned to cope with the pain by using a hot water bottle or heat pads on my side or back/shoulder, taking ibuprofen and drinking apple or pear juice. It's now been 4 years since I've had a gallbladder attack.

Comment from: mz Williams, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I noticed severe pain under my right breast while I was pregnant with my second baby. It was sharp and consistent. I was unable to walk standing straight up and moaned during the attack. It wasn"t until she was 2 months that I got an ultrasound and was told about the gallstones. I have noticed that if I eat greasy food such as collard greens, fried chicken, macaroni and cheese I will normally have an attack. The attack involves that same pain under my breast, nausea, and chills. I try very much to watch what I eat.

Comment from: curly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I experienced severe pain in the chest, and abdomen one night in Jan 2013 after I had dinner as usual not a heavy one. The episodic pain reduced after an inflammatory injection at home. Initially I thought it to be a cardiac pain. But next day when I went to the emergency room to find out the cause, a CT scan was suggested which revealed tiny multiple gallstones. Since then I am watching my diet. I have no pain but experience bloating and gas. I am scared to undergo surgery as I am diabetic, hypertensive, had an attack of arrhythmia and have hypothyroidism and on medication.

Comment from: LC8923, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

When I first experienced gallbladder symptoms I was 3 or 4 months pregnant. I was 19 at the time. It was by far the worst pain I've ever experienced! At that time the pain was located in my ribs and back. I couldn't eat or drink anything without having an attack. I was losing weight instead of gaining and it caused me to have a high risk pregnancy; I got sick all the time so nothing stayed in my body so I was hospitalized until I got healthy enough. And they told me I had gallstones but surgery wasn't an option because my pregnancy has been high risk. Finally when I hit 9 months it stopped! It made me scared to have kids again. But now, 5 years later, I am having attacks again! At first I thought I was having a heart attack! It's been every day and for a few months. Now I have pain through my back, my ribs and up to my chest. I don't get sick like before but I feel sick to my stomach, get cold chills, and get really bad headaches where I can't move or be in light without it hurting 20 times worse. My doctor before made it seem like its nothing serious, but after doing my research I am very worried that after 5 years maybe it is a lot worse. I am going to see a doctor when my insurance goes through and hopefully I can get my gallbladder taken out with no serious problems. These attacks are no joke!

Gallstones - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your gallstones?
Gallstones - Causes Question: If known, describe the causes of your gallstones. Have any relatives had problems with gallstones?
Gallstones - Complications Question: Have you ever had any complications of gallstones? If so, what were they?
Gallstones - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gallstones.