Patient Comments: Gallstones - Symptoms

For gallstones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: curly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I experienced severe pain in the chest, and abdomen one night in Jan 2013 after I had dinner as usual not a heavy one. The episodic pain reduced after an inflammatory injection at home. Initially I thought it to be a cardiac pain. But next day when I went to the emergency room to find out the cause, a CT scan was suggested which revealed tiny multiple gallstones. Since then I am watching my diet. I have no pain but experience bloating and gas. I am scared to undergo surgery as I am diabetic, hypertensive, had an attack of arrhythmia and have hypothyroidism and on medication.

Comment from: LC8923, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

When I first experienced gallbladder symptoms I was 3 or 4 months pregnant. I was 19 at the time. It was by far the worst pain I've ever experienced! At that time the pain was located in my ribs and back. I couldn't eat or drink anything without having an attack. I was losing weight instead of gaining and it caused me to have a high risk pregnancy; I got sick all the time so nothing stayed in my body so I was hospitalized until I got healthy enough. And they told me I had gallstones but surgery wasn't an option because my pregnancy has been high risk. Finally when I hit 9 months it stopped! It made me scared to have kids again. But now, 5 years later, I am having attacks again! At first I thought I was having a heart attack! It's been every day and for a few months. Now I have pain through my back, my ribs and up to my chest. I don't get sick like before but I feel sick to my stomach, get cold chills, and get really bad headaches where I can't move or be in light without it hurting 20 times worse. My doctor before made it seem like its nothing serious, but after doing my research I am very worried that after 5 years maybe it is a lot worse. I am going to see a doctor when my insurance goes through and hopefully I can get my gallbladder taken out with no serious problems. These attacks are no joke!

Comment from: Fariha, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

One year back I got a severe back and stomach pain. I went to the doctor and got scanned. Then I found that I have 3mm gallstone. Five months back I again got pain in my back total spine and lower back, I am wondering if these symptoms reflect gallstone side effects.

Comment from: gatita, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I started having gallstones symptoms one year ago that landed me in the emergency room. I was never really diagnosed with gallstones until one year later. The pain I experience is directly under my left breast and covers a radius the size of a golf ball. It's concentrated pressure that requires me to lay down immediately. I take 3 Tums antacid tablets ASAP and it usually subsides within one hour. A few months ago, my episode lasted 4 hours which scared me. That's when I went to the doctor and he started running tests. After an X-ray on my stomach area, he found gallstones so I have an appointment in 3 months with a gastroenterologist.

Comment from: pedsrn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My gallstone symptoms started about a month ago. I woke up in the middle of the night with severe bilateral back pain that radiated under my rib cage. Because I have a history of back problems (including two spinal fusions), I didn't think anything of the back pain. After three nights of waking up with pain, I finally went to see my doctor. Based on my symptoms and my medical history, she sent me for an X-ray of my back. Her thoughts were that some of my hardware had broken or shifted. The X-ray was clear. I went five weeks without another episode. Within the last seven days, I have woken up four nights with right-side back pain that radiates under my rib cage, pain in my mid-upper abdomen, abdominal tenderness, nausea, vomiting, and some chest discomfort. I went for an ultrasound, which revealed multiple gallstones. I have an appointment for this week with a surgeon to discuss my options.

Comment from: sandy, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

i have gallstones and i just recently went to the hospital and they had told me i had to wait 2 years to get surgery because their is a waiting list for surgery . now every time i eat i get pain and wen i get the pain i go to hospital and they just give me medicine . Can any one help me ? what can i do ?

Gallstones - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your gallstones?
Gallstones - Causes Question: If known, describe the causes of your gallstones. Have any relatives had problems with gallstones?
Gallstones - Complications Question: Have you ever had any complications of gallstones? If so, what were they?
Gallstones - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gallstones.