Patient Comments: Gallstones - Symptoms

For gallstones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: MeMe, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

My first attack was when I was 18, I was out with friends and felt a sudden sharp pain on my right side just under my bust which radiated to my right shoulder blade and nausea. Within minutes I was doubled over in pain and finding it very hard to breathe which made me panic making breathing even harder. I was rushed to the emergency room and the doctor diagnosed me with a chest infection. It took another 10 months until I was finally diagnosed with gallstones. I learned to cope with the pain by using a hot water bottle or heat pads on my side or back/shoulder, taking ibuprofen and drinking apple or pear juice. It's now been 4 years since I've had a gallbladder attack.

Comment from: mz Williams, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I noticed severe pain under my right breast while I was pregnant with my second baby. It was sharp and consistent. I was unable to walk standing straight up and moaned during the attack. It wasn"t until she was 2 months that I got an ultrasound and was told about the gallstones. I have noticed that if I eat greasy food such as collard greens, fried chicken, macaroni and cheese I will normally have an attack. The attack involves that same pain under my breast, nausea, and chills. I try very much to watch what I eat.

Comment from: curly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I experienced severe pain in the chest, and abdomen one night in Jan 2013 after I had dinner as usual not a heavy one. The episodic pain reduced after an inflammatory injection at home. Initially I thought it to be a cardiac pain. But next day when I went to the emergency room to find out the cause, a CT scan was suggested which revealed tiny multiple gallstones. Since then I am watching my diet. I have no pain but experience bloating and gas. I am scared to undergo surgery as I am diabetic, hypertensive, had an attack of arrhythmia and have hypothyroidism and on medication.

Comment from: LC8923, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

When I first experienced gallbladder symptoms I was 3 or 4 months pregnant. I was 19 at the time. It was by far the worst pain I've ever experienced! At that time the pain was located in my ribs and back. I couldn't eat or drink anything without having an attack. I was losing weight instead of gaining and it caused me to have a high risk pregnancy; I got sick all the time so nothing stayed in my body so I was hospitalized until I got healthy enough. And they told me I had gallstones but surgery wasn't an option because my pregnancy has been high risk. Finally when I hit 9 months it stopped! It made me scared to have kids again. But now, 5 years later, I am having attacks again! At first I thought I was having a heart attack! It's been every day and for a few months. Now I have pain through my back, my ribs and up to my chest. I don't get sick like before but I feel sick to my stomach, get cold chills, and get really bad headaches where I can't move or be in light without it hurting 20 times worse. My doctor before made it seem like its nothing serious, but after doing my research I am very worried that after 5 years maybe it is a lot worse. I am going to see a doctor when my insurance goes through and hopefully I can get my gallbladder taken out with no serious problems. These attacks are no joke!

Comment from: Fariha, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

One year back I got a severe back and stomach pain. I went to the doctor and got scanned. Then I found that I have 3mm gallstone. Five months back I again got pain in my back total spine and lower back, I am wondering if these symptoms reflect gallstone side effects.

Comment from: gatita, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I started having gallstones symptoms one year ago that landed me in the emergency room. I was never really diagnosed with gallstones until one year later. The pain I experience is directly under my left breast and covers a radius the size of a golf ball. It's concentrated pressure that requires me to lay down immediately. I take 3 Tums antacid tablets ASAP and it usually subsides within one hour. A few months ago, my episode lasted 4 hours which scared me. That's when I went to the doctor and he started running tests. After an X-ray on my stomach area, he found gallstones so I have an appointment in 3 months with a gastroenterologist.

Gallstones - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your gallstones?
Gallstones - Causes Question: If known, describe the causes of your gallstones. Have any relatives had problems with gallstones?
Gallstones - Complications Question: Have you ever had any complications of gallstones? If so, what were they?
Gallstones - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gallstones.