Patient Comments: Gallstones - Symptoms

For gallstones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: May 27

It started in my stomach area and felt a lot like really bad reflux at first. Then it radiated to my upper back, just under my ribs, and was more on the right side of my body. It felt like pressure under my ribs and in my back. It made me feel nauseous and lightheaded, and it was hard to breathe. It was without a doubt, the worst pain I'd ever felt. Within 2 hours of the onset of pain, I couldn't stand up straight because the pain was so severe.

Comment from: Phoebe72, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I just discovered I have gallstones after two trips to the ER/ED in the last two and a half months. My pain began as a severe clenching pain under my xiphisternum (directly under my ribs in the centre). It was cyclic and lasted 45 minutes or so each time and having just had a baby, I likened it to contractions, but under my ribs rather than in my abdomen. I have also had episodes of back pain centered at the level of my shoulder blades, which I now wonder were related to the gall stones as they were often after eating. I had an ultrasound this morning which revealed a lovely collection (30 or so) small gallstones. At least I now know what it is.

Published: October 15

I had my gallbladder removed about 1year ago and have been great up until about 1 month ago and have been feeling the same symptoms, the gassy felling in my tummy and the feeling that I am starving, but only need a bite of something to relieve this. Can the gallbladder return?

Published: October 15

Don't delay in seeking treatment. A friend of mine died when the passing of gallstones caused something to burst, this lead to infection and then his organs shutting down. Then death. All in a period of two weeks.

Comment from: KP, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

While walking toward my vehicle at a gas station, I had a severe onset of pain, centered above my belly button. It ran across my abdomen, like a belt. Then there was the sensation of not being able to inhale, like a large air bubble was blocking my breathing. Dizziness and fainting sensation overcame me and eventually my knees buckled. I dropped to the ground. I sat upright on the ground, my breathing recovered, but I felt queazy and dizzy. I got inside my car and sat for 15-20 minutes before driving myself to the ER.

Comment from: marty, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I just got diagnosed today. My symptoms were not like those listed previously. I had no pain, just a feeling of discomfort. My stomach was making strange gurgling sounds that had nothing to do with hunger. I felt bloated, gaseous, and my upper abdomen was tender. My friend convinced me to get it checked out, and sure enough I was diagnosed with multiple gallstones and my doc recommends surgery.

Gallstones - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your gallstones?
Gallstones - Causes Question: If known, describe the causes of your gallstones. Have any relatives had problems with gallstones?
Gallstones - Complications Question: Have you ever had any complications of gallstones? If so, what were they?
Gallstones - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gallstones.