Patient Comments: Gallstones - Symptoms

For gallstones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: July 17

I had sudden excruciating pain in my mid-back about an hour after dinner. I was also quite nauseous. I felt better the next morning until I ate breakfast, then the nausea returned. As the day progressed, I had increasing pain in my right abdomen, just under my bust. The next day I developed stabbing pain in my abdomen just above the waist. It was painful to breathe. After a few hours of this, I went to the emergency room. After an ultrasound, I was diagnosed with gallstones. The attack eased in the evening with pain meds, and I was advised to see a surgeon. I had my gall bladder removed several weeks later. The surgery was uneventful, and less painful than the gallbladder attack.

Published: July 10

The first symptoms started about 2 years ago; I remember having a sharp, burning pain in my stomach (upper right area). It went away after about 10 min. and didn't have another "attack" until about a year later. Then it started happening a lot. It would wake me up out of a sound sleep and nothing would help it. Finally my husband insisted I go to the ER. After tests and an ultrasound I was told I had gallstones and needed my Gallbladder removed. Two weeks later I had the surgery. Now however, after a year and a half, I am starting to have similar symptoms. The pain is not as localized as the pain felt with the gallstones, but still severe. I am trying to wait to see if it gets better, but I am afraid it may get worse.

Published: July 09

I woke up feeling like mt stomach was on fire. Tums did not work so I tried some crackers. The pain was then up on my right side directly under my ribs and also the middle of my spine felt like it was on fire. A family member told me it was gas so I took two X-tra strength Gas X and that did nothing. I went to Urgent care and was diagnosed with a gall bladder problem and told to go to the ER. In the ER all my tests were normal, blood work, liver enzymes everything. Then they did an ultrasound that showed a ton of stones. One was caught in the bile duct. I had a laparoscopic cholecystectomy the next morning and the gallbladder was already gangrenous. I had never had a single symptom before.

Published: July 01

I knew that I had gallstones because of an ultrasound for an unrelated condition. In the past 3 or 4 years I have had 3 incidents of pain lasting about 15 minutes. The most recent was this evening. The pain was under the breastbone and soon my whole abdominal area was in pain. It took my breath away; I could barely speak. Nausea but no vomiting. This time I broke into a heavy sweat which had me a bit worried. I have been having a lot of itching lately, but that is probably just my sensitive skin. I feel fine now, after half an hour, but will be watchful and careful. I generally eat a very low fat diet but 2 of these episodes were preceded by higher fat meals.

Published: June 17

I started hurting in my chest and upper abdomen on the right side. It lasted for two weeks until I went to the emergency room and the doctor did an ultrasound and found gallstones.

Published: June 11

My pain started as a burning sensation, like heartburn, and quickly progressed to a sharp pain right in the middle of my abdomen, like a spear was going right through me. The pain would last for a couple of hours and I also felt very nauseated. Just as I felt I was on the verge of vomiting, the pain would go away as quickly as it came. At the onset of my third "attack" (over the course of a week) I went to the doctor and he promptly sent me to the emergency room. After examination by another doctor, they performed an ultrasound and confirmed that I had gallstones and the attacks were caused by the stones "passing". I had surgery the next day to remove my gallbladder.

Published: June 11

I had never experienced symptoms that would lead to a diagnosis of gallbladder disorder until the unfortunate weekend I was on a trip in another state and began to have extreme pain in the middle of my upper abdomen. I thought at first that I might be experiencing gas pains although I had never had them before. The pains got so painful that I couldn't bear to have my abdomen touched at all and I was finally taken to an emergency room over 100 miles from my home. By then I was running a high fever, had a high white blood cell count, low blood pressure, and an elevated alkaline phosphatase level. Transabdominal ultrasonography showed no gallstones, but the wall of the gallbladder apparently was very thickened. A MCRP later revealed that the bile duct was kinked and infection had set in. The blood supply to the gallbladder had been shut off and a confined perforation had occurred before I was taken to surgery. There they removed the gallbladder and nearby infected ligaments and tissues.

Gallstones - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your gallstones?
Gallstones - Causes Question: If known, describe the causes of your gallstones. Have any relatives had problems with gallstones?
Gallstones - Complications Question: Have you ever had any complications of gallstones? If so, what were they?
Gallstones - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gallstones.