Patient Comments: Gallstones - Symptoms

For gallstones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: June 27

The first episode began gradually with a burning pain and a lot of pressure just beneath my ribs on the right side, straight down from my breast. The pain and pressure got worse over the course of an hour until I could hardly move or take a deep breath. When I tried to manipulate the area (thinking it must be trapped gas) I could feel a hardening and enlarging of (what I now know was) my gallbladder. After a couple of hours, the pain slowly subsided. The second episode began the same way, same spot, but this time it radiated to my back. I tried to burp, thinking it would relieve the horrible pain, and I immediately and violently vomited until my throat bled. Two days later, an ultrasound showed two small gallstones.

Published: June 26

Looking backwards from surgery date to symptoms, I had jaundice, uncontrollable itching, nausea, chest pain (that felt like someone took a belt and cinched it under my breasts as tight as they could), abdominal pain from under my breasts down to my lower abdomen, back pain from under my shoulder blades to my spine and then other times I would feel perfectly normal. Of all the symptoms, the only one that seemed to be consistent was the itching.

Comment from: sandy, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

i have gallstones and i just recently went to the hospital and they had told me i had to wait 2 years to get surgery because their is a waiting list for surgery . now every time i eat i get pain and wen i get the pain i go to hospital and they just give me medicine . Can any one help me ? what can i do ?

Comment from: Tootsie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I have just been diagnosed with an enlarged gallbladder with numerous stones. I first went to my medical doctor with a sharp knife life pain on the left side of my back. I had previously had all the tests for gallbladder. I was told it was not my gallbladder due to the pain being on my left side of my back. I was given a Ct and that is when the gallstones were found. I am still confused as to the paid on the left side of my back. Has anyone had a symptom like this? I am scheduled with a surgeon this week.

Comment from: Liv ing and Learning, Female (Patient) Published: February 06

About 8 years ago I had this excruciating pain. My children took me to the hospital on emergency. After several tests, the doctor asked me if I had eaten, I said no. So I ate I left the emergency room. Three years later I got the same pain. I thought it was gas and let it subside. Then it happened again with chills and pains similar to birth. This time after reflecting on the previous pains and feeling unconsciously weak, I left work and went to my doctor who sent me to the emergency room. My gall bladder was removed, I was really scared. Now I await my recovery. I'm still really scared because I was watching my diet.

Comment from: jonsie08, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Months before having my gallbladder removed, I had an attack of strong pains in my stomach, just below where the rib cage separates, and in my back. I became flushed and hot and couldn't sit still until the pain subsided after 10 or 15 minutes. I didn't have another attack for three or four months, but when I did, I began to have them regularly. Even when I wasn't having an attack, I had persistent pain in my back (between the shoulder blades). After being diagnosed with gallstones, I ate a very bland diet until it was removed via laproscopic surgery.

Comment from: socialworkmom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

When I had gallstones, I had intense nausea that kept me up all night, along with chills, and diarrhea. I am of childbearing age, so everyone kept thinking I was pregnant. After having an ultrasound of my abdomen, they found a 6 mm gallstone and a 4 mm polyp on my gallbladder. My symptoms occurred primarily at night, and I've had about three episodes over the past few months (about four weeks apart). I don't wish it on anybody. I just want to get my gallbladder out and to get on with my life.

Comment from: Maz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

With my gallstones, I experienced pain and discomfort in my sternum, radiating directly to the back just below the shoulder blades and central in the back. If you pressed that area of the back, it would make you feel more nauseous. I felt very sick, and I was unable to sit in a chair. I had to lie down a lot.

Gallstones - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your gallstones?
Gallstones - Causes Question: If known, describe the causes of your gallstones. Have any relatives had problems with gallstones?
Gallstones - Complications Question: Have you ever had any complications of gallstones? If so, what were they?
Gallstones - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gallstones.