Patient Comments: Gallstones - Symptoms

For gallstones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Liv ing and Learning, Female (Patient) Published: February 06

About 8 years ago I had this excruciating pain. My children took me to the hospital on emergency. After several tests, the doctor asked me if I had eaten, I said no. So I ate I left the emergency room. Three years later I got the same pain. I thought it was gas and let it subside. Then it happened again with chills and pains similar to birth. This time after reflecting on the previous pains and feeling unconsciously weak, I left work and went to my doctor who sent me to the emergency room. My gall bladder was removed, I was really scared. Now I await my recovery. I'm still really scared because I was watching my diet.

Comment from: jonsie08, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Months before having my gallbladder removed, I had an attack of strong pains in my stomach, just below where the rib cage separates, and in my back. I became flushed and hot and couldn't sit still until the pain subsided after 10 or 15 minutes. I didn't have another attack for three or four months, but when I did, I began to have them regularly. Even when I wasn't having an attack, I had persistent pain in my back (between the shoulder blades). After being diagnosed with gallstones, I ate a very bland diet until it was removed via laproscopic surgery.

Comment from: socialworkmom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

When I had gallstones, I had intense nausea that kept me up all night, along with chills, and diarrhea. I am of childbearing age, so everyone kept thinking I was pregnant. After having an ultrasound of my abdomen, they found a 6 mm gallstone and a 4 mm polyp on my gallbladder. My symptoms occurred primarily at night, and I've had about three episodes over the past few months (about four weeks apart). I don't wish it on anybody. I just want to get my gallbladder out and to get on with my life.

Comment from: Maz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

With my gallstones, I experienced pain and discomfort in my sternum, radiating directly to the back just below the shoulder blades and central in the back. If you pressed that area of the back, it would make you feel more nauseous. I felt very sick, and I was unable to sit in a chair. I had to lie down a lot.

Comment from: Shys_mom1999, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have had at least three attacks over the past six months or so. They would wake me up with the most awful pain in the middle of my abdomen that I have ever felt. Vomiting was the only way to get any relief. I went to the doctor last week and was sent for an ultrasound. Today I was told I had gallstones and could have surgery or try the medication. I have found the medication takes months to years to work ... I can't suffer that long. I am going to go ahead and have the surgery now that I've seen the information on the medication.

Published: July 29

I had two attacks during the last week of June 2008. The attacks were a few days apart and caused severe pain just below my breast bone in the middle. Both times I took Pepto Bismol and the symptoms were relieved immediately. My doctor ordered an abdominal ultrasound, which detected the gallstones. I have an appointment with a surgeon in August 2008 to be evaluated.

Published: July 17

I had sudden excruciating pain in my mid-back about an hour after dinner. I was also quite nauseous. I felt better the next morning until I ate breakfast, then the nausea returned. As the day progressed, I had increasing pain in my right abdomen, just under my bust. The next day I developed stabbing pain in my abdomen just above the waist. It was painful to breathe. After a few hours of this, I went to the emergency room. After an ultrasound, I was diagnosed with gallstones. The attack eased in the evening with pain meds, and I was advised to see a surgeon. I had my gall bladder removed several weeks later. The surgery was uneventful, and less painful than the gallbladder attack.

Published: July 10

The first symptoms started about 2 years ago; I remember having a sharp, burning pain in my stomach (upper right area). It went away after about 10 min. and didn't have another "attack" until about a year later. Then it started happening a lot. It would wake me up out of a sound sleep and nothing would help it. Finally my husband insisted I go to the ER. After tests and an ultrasound I was told I had gallstones and needed my Gallbladder removed. Two weeks later I had the surgery. Now however, after a year and a half, I am starting to have similar symptoms. The pain is not as localized as the pain felt with the gallstones, but still severe. I am trying to wait to see if it gets better, but I am afraid it may get worse.

Gallstones - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your gallstones?
Gallstones - Causes Question: If known, describe the causes of your gallstones. Have any relatives had problems with gallstones?
Gallstones - Complications Question: Have you ever had any complications of gallstones? If so, what were they?
Gallstones - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with gallstones.