Patient Comments: Gallbladder Pain - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your experience with gallbladder pain?

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

When I have a gall bladder attack it lasts days. I have immediate pain from my esophagus when I eat anything and I mean anything. Then above my belly button, then through to my back and then down my arms. It's horrible and I can't wait to have an MRI scan to differentiate between polyps or stones. A blockage is suspected as I had high amylase and lipase levels when I could stand the pain no longer and ended up in Accident and Emergency. They diagnosed that it must be my ovarian cysts which the gastroenterologist couldn't understand especially due to blood test results! Hopefully it will get sorted now as I can't eat at all without extreme pain and have pain if I don't eat. Sigh.

Comment from: Springfield Patient, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

I had severe upper abdominal (solar plexus) pain which caused sweats and short breathing, and nausea with dry heaves. I went to the emergency room and after 1 hour, they said gall bladder was enlarged with stones. After removal surgeon told me the bladder was black and had gangrene. Very little warning, don't fool around with this!

Comment from: Bella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I had shoulder and back pain with nausea and vomiting along with diarrhea. Every time I ate, within minutes, the pain worsened and nausea came on stronger. Headaches were bad, couldn't sleep, shoulder pain was worse than the gallbladder pain. After 5 days I went to the emergency room (ER). They did blood work, x-ray, sonogram and urine tests. Doctor came in and said the tests do not show gallstones and they can't admit me on the pain factor only, my tests having come back normal. He gave me Zofran for nausea and sent me home. All symptoms continue and I am feeling weaker with each new day. I guess it's time for a second opinion!

Comment from: arya926, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I haven"t had much gallbladder pain except for intermittent shock-y pain in my upper right rib area in my back and occasional cramp-y pain in my upper abdomen. My main symptoms are inability to sleep, unbelievable nausea, anxiety, and headaches. The first time it happened I thought I had a stomach virus. After 5 days and no sign of contagion, I thought it was food poisoning. Then it got better. A month later, same thing. Only this time the promethazine did not work for nausea. I went to the emergency room (ER) and they found the gall stones and my white count was high. I still have my gallbladder and I"m trying to dissolve the stones naturally with barberry bark extract. I still can"t eat fatty foods without repercussions.

Comment from: turtle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I started with severe cramps in the upper abdomen. The pain came and went regularly for over 12 hours, proceeded with increasing bowel movements to diarrhea to blood and mucus. I ran a moderate fever and felt nauseated. The cramps eased and the bleeding finally stopped after 24 hours but the abdominal pain lasted for 4 to 5 days. I lost over 10 pounds and had no appetite. Worst cramps I ever had, felt like someone turning my stomach into a squeegee.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I have gall bladder pain and the urgent need to have a bowel movement and it occurs every night and early morning!

Gallbladder Pain - Causes Question: What was the cause of the gallbladder pain you experienced?
Gallbladder Pain - Treatment Question: How was your case of gallbladder pain treated?
Gallbladder Pain - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with your case of gallbladder pain?