Patient Comments: Gallbladder Pain - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your experience with gallbladder pain?

Comment from: samm, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I starting having my gallbladder pain when my daughter was 6 months old. The pain was under my shoulder blades and the stabbing pain is there constant. I get the shivers even though I am sweating. I have been on strong Co-Codamol and Buscopan as a gall stone goes into my bile duct. I have had an ultrasound confirming and I have had my MRI 3 weeks ago. If anyone is worried about the MRI, there is no need, 10 minutes is all it is. I got an appointment for next month and hoping they tell me when I am going to have surgery. What I found out that is best to ease the pain is, when you first start feeling pain, even little ones, use a hot water bottle and keep on for 5 minutes, then off for 5 minutes.

Comment from: prettyivet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I have been having these gallbladder pains for years but more frequent now. They found gall stones after they performed a sonogram. Pain feels like you are being stabbed repeatedly in the upper abdomen. I have continuous vomiting and shortness of breath. Pepcid alleviates pain slightly. Reglan helps nausea. It actually feels like you are about to die; worse that labor pains. I am going next week to have my gallbladder removed by The da Vinci robot technique.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

When I have a gall bladder attack it lasts days. I have immediate pain from my esophagus when I eat anything and I mean anything. Then above my belly button, then through to my back and then down my arms. It's horrible and I can't wait to have an MRI scan to differentiate between polyps or stones. A blockage is suspected as I had high amylase and lipase levels when I could stand the pain no longer and ended up in Accident and Emergency. They diagnosed that it must be my ovarian cysts which the gastroenterologist couldn't understand especially due to blood test results! Hopefully it will get sorted now as I can't eat at all without extreme pain and have pain if I don't eat. Sigh.

Comment from: Springfield Patient, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

I had severe upper abdominal (solar plexus) pain which caused sweats and short breathing, and nausea with dry heaves. I went to the emergency room and after 1 hour, they said gall bladder was enlarged with stones. After removal surgeon told me the bladder was black and had gangrene. Very little warning, don't fool around with this!

Comment from: Bella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I had shoulder and back pain with nausea and vomiting along with diarrhea. Every time I ate, within minutes, the pain worsened and nausea came on stronger. Headaches were bad, couldn't sleep, shoulder pain was worse than the gallbladder pain. After 5 days I went to the emergency room (ER). They did blood work, x-ray, sonogram and urine tests. Doctor came in and said the tests do not show gallstones and they can't admit me on the pain factor only, my tests having come back normal. He gave me Zofran for nausea and sent me home. All symptoms continue and I am feeling weaker with each new day. I guess it's time for a second opinion!

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I have gall bladder pain and the urgent need to have a bowel movement and it occurs every night and early morning!

Comment from: glenn, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 26

I have gallbladder pain from right back around to front. I have burps, and now a rash on back and side. It has been 1 week today.

Gallbladder Pain - Causes Question: What was the cause of the gallbladder pain you experienced?
Gallbladder Pain - Treatment Question: How was your case of gallbladder pain treated?
Gallbladder Pain - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with your case of gallbladder pain?