Patient Comments: G6PD Deficiency - Experience

Please describe your experience with G6PD deficiency.

Comment from: Ana, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 11

I am a mother of a 3 years old boy, a G6PD patient. I'm worried too much because my son's condition is not good, he always vomits when he eats the food. He has a stomach ache and paleness of skin. The doctors have given him so many medicines and vitamins already but still his situation is the same. He has wet lungs too so until now he is under medication.

Comment from: Two sons, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

With G6PD deficiency I have problems with my breathing, I have gained weight, and my doctor keeps telling me to lose weight. But I'm short of breath if I walk the treadmill with an incline or add a little more speed. I can't walk too fast because of shortness of breath as well.

Comment from: ifelyou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I am 55 years old, a mother of 5 who are all over the age of 21. I am a carrier of G6PD and all 5 of my children have it and their children too. And my great granddaughter who is 8 months old.

Comment from: TIN, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 30

I'm the mother of G6PD, a 1 month old male patient. Sometimes he was irritable but he sucks very well. But why he cries when he was stretching? What was the relation of his disease when he cries while stretching? And what will i do to ease and prevent the g6pd? And what food i will avoid and what perfect foods i need to eat because ill breastfeed to my son?

Comment from: honey, 0-2 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I have a newborn baby boy and his screening test detected that he has G6PD deficiency. I don't know what to do about it.

Comment from: mr. few, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 22

I have a baby girl who is 17 months old, and is now starting to feel the effect of G6PD deficiency. She is prone to viral infections, and feeding her is a big deal. Her weight is pulled down possibly because of the anemia. It's hard to ask a child this young, because she can't really tell you what's going on.

Comment from: marilyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I have two babies -- a boy and a girl – who have a G6PD deficiency. I'm not sure what to do. I don't know what kind of milk or vitamins to give them.