Patient Comments: G6PD Deficiency - Experience

Please describe your experience with G6PD deficiency.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

G6PD deficiency is not a recessive trait. This was proven in the early 1960s by two separate research groups. Women are also symptomatic and are affected according to the laws of lyonization. Actually, more women have G6PD deficiency than men. There are other foods that cause hemolysis besides fava beans. Moth balls are another trigger and can be deadly to those with G6PD deficiency.

Comment from: ifelyou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I am 55 years old, a mother of 5 who are all over the age of 21. I am a carrier of G6PD and all 5 of my children have it and their children too. And my great granddaughter who is 8 months old.

Comment from: TIN, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 30

I'm the mother of G6PD, a 1 month old male patient. Sometimes he was irritable but he sucks very well. But why he cries when he was stretching? What was the relation of his disease when he cries while stretching? And what will i do to ease and prevent the g6pd? And what food i will avoid and what perfect foods i need to eat because ill breastfeed to my son?

Comment from: honey, 0-2 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I have a newborn baby boy and his screening test detected that he has G6PD deficiency. I don't know what to do about it.

Comment from: mr. few, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 22

I have a baby girl who is 17 months old, and is now starting to feel the effect of G6PD deficiency. She is prone to viral infections, and feeding her is a big deal. Her weight is pulled down possibly because of the anemia. It's hard to ask a child this young, because she can't really tell you what's going on.

Comment from: marilyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I have two babies -- a boy and a girl – who have a G6PD deficiency. I'm not sure what to do. I don't know what kind of milk or vitamins to give them.