Patient Comments: Fungal Nails - Treatments

What treatment did you use for your fungal nails?

Comment from: DJC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I tried tea tree oil, and everything in the drug store for toe nail fungus 6 nails. Nothing! A supplement store employee told me those wouldn't cure it, only oregano oil would. She was right! Six months later it is 80 percent gone! About USD 22.00 at health food stores, each bottle lasts 4 to 6 weeks. Get oregano oil!

Comment from: dzzwt, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

No fungus can survive a strong acidic environment. So we can create a strong acidic environment using our kitchen vinegar. Use cotton ball and saturate with vinegar. Put the cotton ball over the infected nail. Use cut off vinyl glove finger portion covering the nail with cotton ball. Keep it overnight. Continue several days (try one week).

Comment from: Celia, Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am fighting with this problem of fungal nails since I was 12 years old, it makes me sick. Every time I go to a public swimming pool or take a shower in my dance center I can be sure to get a new fungus! Now I found something that seems to support the cure. Well, of course I use the typical clotrimazole cream my doctor prescribes, but I am now also using shoe inserts of cedar wood to support the curing process and I am well surprised! I have dry feet using them and seems like they have a natural antibacterial effect (I read a bit about it) so it's a good thing I think! Hope I could help!

Comment from: Oatmeal gal, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 10

I had fungal nails for years. I used Lamisil spray, medicines, tea tree oil; none worked more effective than the cheapest brand of vapor rub (Vicks too expensive). Don't wear slippers as it will reoccur. Use open toed shoes in the house and sandals outside if possible. First time ever I see hope.

Comment from: greenhillmca, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I practice martial art, I get fungal nail infections from time to time from the mat. I did research on line, found articles about how simple white vinegar will take care of the problem, it is simple and cheap. I dip my fingers and toes into a small container of the vinegar for 15 minutes for 10 days. It works for me every time. My husband is a believer too now. It should be the first thing to try before any other medicines.

Comment from: Sally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

First I used Vicks ointment, then found out that the ingredient that killed the fungus in the nail was thyme oil. I bought a bottle of thyme oil. Thyme oil is very strong so don't use it without diluting. I added a couple of drops to a small bottle of body lotion. I mixed the two in one of those bottles you get in a hotel room and applied the lotion to my hands and feet. Fungus died and nails grew back healthy. If I see patches that may be a re-occurrence I just start using my magic lotion again. I think you can use the herb in cooking and it will help too.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I have had fungal nails in both big toes, then it spread to my fingers, 7 of them, for 2 years. My doctor gave me Grifulvin V 500 mg twice a day and now 2 months later my nails have cleared up.

Comment from: maggekay, (Patient) Published: July 31

It seems that oregano oil is working well for nail fungus. I put a drop under the nail 3 times per day. It is clear in from the top where it started. I get it at the health food store.

Fungal Nails - Signs and Symptoms Question: What did your nails look like when you had a nail fungus? What were your signs and symptoms?
Fungal Nails - Prevention Question: If you've had a toenail fungus, how do you try to prevent it from recurring?
Fungal Nails - Diagnosis Question: Why did you go to a doctor for your nail fungus? How was the condition diagnosed?