Patient Comments: Fungal Nails - Treatments

Question:What treatment did you use for your fungal nails?

Comment from: Sally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

First I used Vicks ointment, then found out that the ingredient that killed the fungus in the nail was thyme oil. I bought a bottle of thyme oil. Thyme oil is very strong so don't use it without diluting. I added a couple of drops to a small bottle of body lotion. I mixed the two in one of those bottles you get in a hotel room and applied the lotion to my hands and feet. Fungus died and nails grew back healthy. If I see patches that may be a re-occurrence I just start using my magic lotion again. I think you can use the herb in cooking and it will help too.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I have had fungal nails in both big toes, then it spread to my fingers, 7 of them, for 2 years. My doctor gave me Grifulvin V 500 mg twice a day and now 2 months later my nails have cleared up.

Comment from: maggekay, (Patient) Published: July 31

It seems that oregano oil is working well for nail fungus. I put a drop under the nail 3 times per day. It is clear in from the top where it started. I get it at the health food store.

Comment from: Holly, Female (Patient) Published: July 15

A nail technician told me to use Vicks VapoRub for my nail fungus. It cleared it up in a matter of weeks and it hasn't been back! Great stuff!

Comment from: LRS, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I've used tea tree oil every night around my nails for 10 years. It hasn't cured it but keeps it in check. About 4 months ago I started mixing equal amounts of white vinegar and amber colored Listerine and soaking my fingers for 10 minutes every night. The article said to soak twice a day for 5 minutes each. I have noticed a difference in my nails. I still have the fungus but it's not as bad and all the green color has disappeared. I've continued with the tea tree oil. I should also tell you that for 25 years I had acrylic nails. Over time I noticed my nail attachment was getting lower and lower meaning the space between the tip of my nail and the attachment to the skin was getting deeper. Then the green color started appearing. I haven't had acrylics for at least 10 years now but I'm having trouble growing the skin attachment. Sometimes it looks better and then 2 weeks later it starts detaching again. My dermatologist just gave me a prescription to start Diflucan tablet once a week for 24 weeks. I sure hope this helps!

Comment from: Laurie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

Apple cider vinegar and tee tree oil work wonders for fungal nails.

Published: July 05

I have been using tea tree oil for five months. I apply it all over and around the infected nails daily after showering. My nails have grown by about 50% since then, and the new nail growth appears to be fungus-free. Patience and perseverance are the keys here; there is no quick fix for this problem, but tea tree oil appears to have no serious side effects.

Comment from: NYdadOF3, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I have found that Molecular AF works well; in a few weeks the nail looked great. I got it from my foot doctor. It is made with natural oils and an antifungal medication. It doesn't say it is for nails, but the doctor told me they all say that and to just use it – it works. He was right

Comment from: Redhead, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have used tea tree oil. I started in May of 2011 and have had no new growth. It is about 1/3 of the nail, and looks much better. It's a game of patience and applying the oil a couple of times a day. I guess for a long time..

Comment from: Tey, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

Dipping my feet in Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda works pretty good for me. I started to see results immediately. I pour the apple cider vinegar into a container then sprinkle the baking soda in. When it starts to fizz up I dip my feet inside. Works wonders.

Comment from: happy cured, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

Tea Tree Oil works for my fungal nails! Twice per day. I use a knife to scrape away the bad stuff (don't go overboard). In three weeks you will see a healthy nail growing. Don't stop until the nail is fully grown back and a little more. It worked for me.

Fungal Nails - Signs and Symptoms Question: What did your nails look like when you had a nail fungus? What were your signs and symptoms?
Fungal Nails - Prevention Question: If you've had a toenail fungus, how do you try to prevent it from recurring?
Fungal Nails - Diagnosis Question: Why did you go to a doctor for your nail fungus? How was the condition diagnosed?