Patient Comments: Fungal Nails - Treatments

Question:What treatment did you use for your fungal nails?

Comment from: Celia, Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am fighting with this problem of fungal nails since I was 12 years old, it makes me sick. Every time I go to a public swimming pool or take a shower in my dance center I can be sure to get a new fungus! Now I found something that seems to support the cure. Well, of course I use the typical clotrimazole cream my doctor prescribes, but I am now also using shoe inserts of cedar wood to support the curing process and I am well surprised! I have dry feet using them and seems like they have a natural antibacterial effect (I read a bit about it) so it's a good thing I think! Hope I could help!

Comment from: Oatmeal gal, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 10

I had fungal nails for years. I used Lamisil spray, medicines, tea tree oil; none worked more effective than the cheapest brand of vapor rub (Vicks too expensive). Don't wear slippers as it will reoccur. Use open toed shoes in the house and sandals outside if possible. First time ever I see hope.

Comment from: greenhillmca, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I practice martial art, I get fungal nail infections from time to time from the mat. I did research on line, found articles about how simple white vinegar will take care of the problem, it is simple and cheap. I dip my fingers and toes into a small container of the vinegar for 15 minutes for 10 days. It works for me every time. My husband is a believer too now. It should be the first thing to try before any other medicines.

Comment from: Sally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

First I used Vicks ointment, then found out that the ingredient that killed the fungus in the nail was thyme oil. I bought a bottle of thyme oil. Thyme oil is very strong so don't use it without diluting. I added a couple of drops to a small bottle of body lotion. I mixed the two in one of those bottles you get in a hotel room and applied the lotion to my hands and feet. Fungus died and nails grew back healthy. If I see patches that may be a re-occurrence I just start using my magic lotion again. I think you can use the herb in cooking and it will help too.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I have had fungal nails in both big toes, then it spread to my fingers, 7 of them, for 2 years. My doctor gave me Grifulvin V 500 mg twice a day and now 2 months later my nails have cleared up.

Comment from: MAK, Female (Caregiver) Published: January 26

In recent physical exam my hematocrit level came as 39.1 and HB was recorded 13.4. HCT was marked red in the report.

Comment from: maggekay, (Patient) Published: July 31

It seems that oregano oil is working well for nail fungus. I put a drop under the nail 3 times per day. It is clear in from the top where it started. I get it at the health food store.

Comment from: Holly, Female (Patient) Published: July 15

A nail technician told me to use Vicks VapoRub for my nail fungus. It cleared it up in a matter of weeks and it hasn't been back! Great stuff!

Comment from: LRS, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I've used tea tree oil every night around my nails for 10 years. It hasn't cured it but keeps it in check. About 4 months ago I started mixing equal amounts of white vinegar and amber colored Listerine and soaking my fingers for 10 minutes every night. The article said to soak twice a day for 5 minutes each. I have noticed a difference in my nails. I still have the fungus but it's not as bad and all the green color has disappeared. I've continued with the tea tree oil. I should also tell you that for 25 years I had acrylic nails. Over time I noticed my nail attachment was getting lower and lower meaning the space between the tip of my nail and the attachment to the skin was getting deeper. Then the green color started appearing. I haven't had acrylics for at least 10 years now but I'm having trouble growing the skin attachment. Sometimes it looks better and then 2 weeks later it starts detaching again. My dermatologist just gave me a prescription to start Diflucan tablet once a week for 24 weeks. I sure hope this helps!

Published: July 05

I have been using tea tree oil for five months. I apply it all over and around the infected nails daily after showering. My nails have grown by about 50% since then, and the new nail growth appears to be fungus-free. Patience and perseverance are the keys here; there is no quick fix for this problem, but tea tree oil appears to have no serious side effects.

Fungal Nails - Signs and Symptoms Question: What did your nails look like when you had a nail fungus? What were your signs and symptoms?
Fungal Nails - Prevention Question: If you've had a toenail fungus, how do you try to prevent it from recurring?
Fungal Nails - Diagnosis Question: Why did you go to a doctor for your nail fungus? How was the condition diagnosed?