Patient Comments: Fundoplication - Effectiveness

Did fundoplication successfully treat your GERD? Please share your experience.

Comment from: sherry, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 09

Fundoplication for GERD changed my life for the better. I had a fabulous doctor, and I seem to have avoided Barret's syndrome, not to mention years of suffering. I had it seven years ago, and things are still fine with it.

Comment from: Poppy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had fundoplication procedure done 9 years ago after years and years of GERD and painful and frequent burping. Turns out I had a large hiatal hernia, probably caused from having five ten pound babies (yep). I feel better and sleep better, but the surgeon told me it would make me stop burping. And what I've read on line says after the Nissan surgery, people can't burp. Well, I still burp more than anyone I know and it's very disappointing. Especially in my car, which I am guess is from position and movement. I'd like to know if other people who had this surgery are still burping.

Comment from: yingtong, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My son has cerebral palsy and suffered for many years with gastric reflux. He is unable to speak and is 32. He had become miserable and withdrawn. When the doctor suggested the fundoplication I was reluctant at first but was anxious to find relief for him so agreed to the operation. It was done by keyhole surgery. He only needed a couple of nights in hospital and he didn't have a lot of pain after. He also healed quickly. It has really improved his quality of life. He no longer has the constant pain and can lie flat now with no problems. Fundoplication has worked well for him.

Comment from: Em, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I had fundoplication done for and felt wonderful. It was such a big difference. But now I am having GERD trouble again. This was 2 years ago. I am going to return to my surgeon.

Comment from: Luis R, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

The fundoplication did work wonderful for my GERD in the beginning, but after 6 or 7 years I am suffering from esophageal spasms and pain. I keep getting endoscopies done and all doctors say you are fine, keep taking Prilosec or sucralfate. In the meantime, day by day it is getting worse, my health quality is decreasing, my stomach is in pain and has a burning feeling, my mouth gets dry, and I get all type of pains in my upper chest, right, left, everywhere. I used to be a runner for over 40 years, did not smoke, or drink alcohol, I was still jogging until a year ago in 2013. So what is going on with the medicine now days!

Comment from: maria b, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had a fundoplication surgery for GERD on 2012. I feel better although I need to take omeprazole daily. I developed 4 ulcers after a year of being operated. Overall I am way better. I have to adapt to new bite size though.

Comment from: Mfe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

Fundoplication works but if you have a manual job you can wreck it. I have had two which have loosened from manual work as a chef. I have another one due on 26th may. They lasted 12 - 15 years, an ordeal to go through but better than cancer from the acid.

Comment from: Harriet, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

Loose wrap that occurred during fundoplication surgery has caused lots of stomach problems, it was not secured properly.