Patient Comments: Fundoplication - Effectiveness

Did fundoplication successfully treat your GERD? Please share your experience.

Comment from: SMH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

My sister and I both have severe GERD. My sister elected to have the fundoplication surgery, I did not. She has had complications from the beginning, (swallowing difficulties, gas build up, unable to burp or vomit, and esophageal spasms) she has been to specialists all over the country with no real solutions. The worst problem is the damage to her vagus nerve. Her GERD returned but now she is unable to keep stomach contents from entering her trachea. Both her lungs are compromised. I am thankful I didn't have that surgery.

Comment from: 'a', 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I had fundoplication surgery for GERD 6 years ago after having horrible heartburn and being on acid reflux medications for many years. Although I have never had acid reflux since the surgery, my stomach has never been the same. Right off the bat my stomach was making weird sounds. My stomach also hurt often. Not in a painful way, just a way I never experienced before the surgery. Also, major problem for me was that I could no longer vomit. When feeling sick I could not bring up anything from my stomach, only dry heaves which hurt. The gastroenterologist and surgeon are insisting everything is fine, but it is not. Ask a lot of questions before opting to have surgery.

Comment from: sylvia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had my fundoplication done for my GERD in the 1980s. I could not keep anything down for 8 months, and I went down to 103 pounds at 5 feet 7 inches, was almost dead. The surgery saved my life but did not make it better. Whatever I eat stays down even if it makes me sick, but dry heaves are so hard to go through. Even after all these years the gas build up is so bad.

Comment from: sherry, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 09

Fundoplication for GERD changed my life for the better. I had a fabulous doctor, and I seem to have avoided Barret's syndrome, not to mention years of suffering. I had it seven years ago, and things are still fine with it.

Comment from: Poppy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had fundoplication procedure done 9 years ago after years and years of GERD and painful and frequent burping. Turns out I had a large hiatal hernia, probably caused from having five ten pound babies (yep). I feel better and sleep better, but the surgeon told me it would make me stop burping. And what I've read on line says after the Nissan surgery, people can't burp. Well, I still burp more than anyone I know and it's very disappointing. Especially in my car, which I am guess is from position and movement. I'd like to know if other people who had this surgery are still burping.

Comment from: Ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had fundoplication to treat my GERD on August 24, 2016. I am having so much problem. I can hardly eat anything, I get sick.

Comment from: yingtong, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My son has cerebral palsy and suffered for many years with gastric reflux. He is unable to speak and is 32. He had become miserable and withdrawn. When the doctor suggested the fundoplication I was reluctant at first but was anxious to find relief for him so agreed to the operation. It was done by keyhole surgery. He only needed a couple of nights in hospital and he didn't have a lot of pain after. He also healed quickly. It has really improved his quality of life. He no longer has the constant pain and can lie flat now with no problems. Fundoplication has worked well for him.