Patient Comments: Fundoplication - Effectiveness

Did fundoplication successfully treat your GERD? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Luis R, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

The fundoplication did work wonderful for my GERD in the beginning, but after 6 or 7 years I am suffering from esophageal spasms and pain. I keep getting endoscopies done and all doctors say you are fine, keep taking Prilosec or sucralfate. In the meantime, day by day it is getting worse, my health quality is decreasing, my stomach is in pain and has a burning feeling, my mouth gets dry, and I get all type of pains in my upper chest, right, left, everywhere. I used to be a runner for over 40 years, did not smoke, or drink alcohol, I was still jogging until a year ago in 2013. So what is going on with the medicine now days!

Comment from: Mfe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

Fundoplication works but if you have a manual job you can wreck it. I have had two which have loosened from manual work as a chef. I have another one due on 26th may. They lasted 12 - 15 years, an ordeal to go through but better than cancer from the acid.

Comment from: Harriet, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

Loose wrap that occurred during fundoplication surgery has caused lots of stomach problems, it was not secured properly.