Patient Comments: Frozen Shoulder - Treatments

What treatments were helpful or effective for your frozen shoulder?

Comment from: cjje, (Patient) Published: May 26

I had a frozen shoulder for over a year and a half. The pain would bring me to tears at times, it was so hard to bear. I went to several physical therapists and received various treatments. I went to an orthopedic doctor and got a cortisone shot. I went to a chiropractor and to a massage therapist. I found some relief from some of the treatments and made small gains in range of motion. I started doing yoga and got acupuncture treatments. What I believe finally returned nearly full range of motion was doing psychotherapy work with a therapist that considered the body-mind-spirit connection. I think what I needed most was to talk about and get some resolution from a trauma in my past that was preventing me from living my life and having a voice.

Comment from: Another catlady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I have torn rotator cuffs and had frozen shoulder in both arms and pain down to my fingers. I got back full range of motion in three months. The secret is power through the pain; get orthopedic deep tissue massage which probably is not covered by insurance. The massage therapist says all of the fascia, tendon, and muscles get stuck together and the therapy helps with that. Plus it is not really painful if done right. I still have torn tendons and arthritis but I got my life back. The physiotherapy people don't really push you like they should but two orthopedists told me that you have to force your shoulder to obey you. Good luck and don't give up.

Comment from: bigcatbutler, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I had frozen shoulder after years of rotator teats and arthritis. I was told by doctors for years to have the tears repaired, but I just kept on with my on therapy; until the last injury to both shoulders. The surgeon said I needed replacement on both shoulders, but advised me to wait a few years. He has treated me with the injections and anti-inflammatory medicines. I worked out with light weights for about a year, more of a self-rehabilitation than body building. But after that year I woke up one morning. I couldn't move my left arm not even an inch I don't know why. Any movement was the most intense pain I could imagine. After two days of no movement I began moving an inch to the front and one to the rear. I was unable to move my hand out from my side at all for another week. But after about a month I could get about a foot to the front and to the rear. The out from the side took longer. After three months of these baby movements I started back with the two pound dumb bells. I've had two more injections for my shoulders in the last seven months. And I take a generic Voltaren once a day. So far I've improved every month and the frozen shoulder is a distant memory, a very painful memory.

Comment from: hopakera, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I've been diagnosed with frozen shoulder. Cortisone shot did nothing. I was sent for physiotherapy (PT), which has helped a little so far. The PT guy is not convinced it is a frozen shoulder; he can move it much farther than I can on my own. Let me tell you, it hurts like the dickens, though! It feels like something is 'catching' in the shoulder. My orthopedic doctor is standing on frozen shoulder and after 3 weeks of PT, is already wanting to do manipulation under sedation! He's never manipulated without sedation to see if he can move it beyond what I can. I'm going for a second opinion. If it's frozen, that's fine, but I want to make sure there isn't something else going on first. And yes, a sudden movement used to be excruciating pain. After two PT sessions, that was much better, but now I have constant pain all the way down my arm; it is exhausting.

Comment from: steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

It took me over 15 months to get rid of this awful condition of frozen shoulder. I felt like I'd be ruined by this, I'm at about 90% with ROM (range of motion). Occasional pain still persists but nothing like I experienced at the beginning, my nights were awful for about 4 months I was in agony, and MRI was good. Cortisone shot did nothing at all. I was given 4 mg tablets of methylprednisolone (a steroid) and it worked like a miracle but it was temporary, and not possible to use for very long. But it helped me endure the painful stretching that physical therapy consisted of and I continued with physical therapy for over a year. Now 15 months later I'm doing well but I don't think I'll ever be pain free. This condition is terrible and my heart goes out to you if you're experiencing this but don't give up hope. Definitely do PT and endure the stretching in the end you may be ok, good luck!

Frozen Shoulder - Cause Question: What was the cause of your frozen shoulder?
Frozen Shoulder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your frozen shoulder?
Frozen Shoulder - Prognosis Question: What is your frozen shoulder prognosis? Did you have physical therapy?