Patient Comments: Frozen Shoulder - Treatments

What treatments were helpful or effective for your frozen shoulder?

Comment from: bigcatbutler, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I had frozen shoulder after years of rotator teats and arthritis. I was told by doctors for years to have the tears repaired, but I just kept on with my on therapy; until the last injury to both shoulders. The surgeon said I needed replacement on both shoulders, but advised me to wait a few years. He has treated me with the injections and anti-inflammatory medicines. I worked out with light weights for about a year, more of a self-rehabilitation than body building. But after that year I woke up one morning. I couldn't move my left arm not even an inch I don't know why. Any movement was the most intense pain I could imagine. After two days of no movement I began moving an inch to the front and one to the rear. I was unable to move my hand out from my side at all for another week. But after about a month I could get about a foot to the front and to the rear. The out from the side took longer. After three months of these baby movements I started back with the two pound dumb bells. I've had two more injections for my shoulders in the last seven months. And I take a generic Voltaren once a day. So far I've improved every month and the frozen shoulder is a distant memory, a very painful memory.

Comment from: hopakera, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I've been diagnosed with frozen shoulder. Cortisone shot did nothing. I was sent for physiotherapy (PT), which has helped a little so far. The PT guy is not convinced it is a frozen shoulder; he can move it much farther than I can on my own. Let me tell you, it hurts like the dickens, though! It feels like something is 'catching' in the shoulder. My orthopedic doctor is standing on frozen shoulder and after 3 weeks of PT, is already wanting to do manipulation under sedation! He's never manipulated without sedation to see if he can move it beyond what I can. I'm going for a second opinion. If it's frozen, that's fine, but I want to make sure there isn't something else going on first. And yes, a sudden movement used to be excruciating pain. After two PT sessions, that was much better, but now I have constant pain all the way down my arm; it is exhausting.

Comment from: steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

It took me over 15 months to get rid of this awful condition of frozen shoulder. I felt like I'd be ruined by this, I'm at about 90% with ROM (range of motion). Occasional pain still persists but nothing like I experienced at the beginning, my nights were awful for about 4 months I was in agony, and MRI was good. Cortisone shot did nothing at all. I was given 4 mg tablets of methylprednisolone (a steroid) and it worked like a miracle but it was temporary, and not possible to use for very long. But it helped me endure the painful stretching that physical therapy consisted of and I continued with physical therapy for over a year. Now 15 months later I'm doing well but I don't think I'll ever be pain free. This condition is terrible and my heart goes out to you if you're experiencing this but don't give up hope. Definitely do PT and endure the stretching in the end you may be ok, good luck!

Comment from: Yupper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am dealing with my second frozen shoulder. The first one, my left shoulder, was about 4 years ago. One cortisone shot and nearly a year of physical therapy gave me back full range of motion. At times the therapy was pretty rough BUT it worked, must do those home exercises twice a day, very important!! My second one is my right shoulder. Was smarter this time around and got into physical therapy much earlier and am already making progress. Again cannot emphasize the importance of home exercise.

Comment from: Gemini1957, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

Not really sure what caused my frozen shoulder. I just had a lot of pain which increased until I was diagnosed. I was under a tremendous amount of stress. I suffered with chronic pain for about 9 months and after diagnoses was referred to physical therapist. PT gave me exercises to do at home which I did not do on a regular basis due to pain. After ache went away I am now left with only 80 percent use of my left arm. I now wonder if I had done exercises faithfully would I have more range of motion. I will attempt to use Cybex machines to stretch atrophied muscles to regain some ROM in my shoulder but inevitable scarring has occurred.

Comment from: bingosquealer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Following my right shoulder fx of tuberosity, full thickness tear of rotator cuff , and frozen shoulder, I had physical therapy for 2 mos. then a cortisone injection with minimal relief. Arthroscopic surgery was done followed with 6 mos. of physical therapy. Then I tried accupuncture performed by an MD certified in accupuncture. What a relief. It worked much faster than physical therapy. Results I could feel with less pain and quicker movement of my muscles. I knew when I got on the table before my 45min. session ended I would be painfree. Accupunture is not for everyone but it worked for me.

Frozen Shoulder - Cause Question: What was the cause of your frozen shoulder?
Frozen Shoulder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your frozen shoulder?
Frozen Shoulder - Prognosis Question: What is your frozen shoulder prognosis? Did you have physical therapy?