Patient Comments: Frozen Shoulder - Treatments

What treatments were helpful or effective for your frozen shoulder?

Comment from: Yupper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am dealing with my second frozen shoulder. The first one, my left shoulder, was about 4 years ago. One cortisone shot and nearly a year of physical therapy gave me back full range of motion. At times the therapy was pretty rough BUT it worked, must do those home exercises twice a day, very important!! My second one is my right shoulder. Was smarter this time around and got into physical therapy much earlier and am already making progress. Again cannot emphasize the importance of home exercise.

Comment from: Gemini1957, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

Not really sure what caused my frozen shoulder. I just had a lot of pain which increased until I was diagnosed. I was under a tremendous amount of stress. I suffered with chronic pain for about 9 months and after diagnoses was referred to physical therapist. PT gave me exercises to do at home which I did not do on a regular basis due to pain. After ache went away I am now left with only 80 percent use of my left arm. I now wonder if I had done exercises faithfully would I have more range of motion. I will attempt to use Cybex machines to stretch atrophied muscles to regain some ROM in my shoulder but inevitable scarring has occurred.

Comment from: bingosquealer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Following my right shoulder fx of tuberosity, full thickness tear of rotator cuff , and frozen shoulder, I had physical therapy for 2 mos. then a cortisone injection with minimal relief. Arthroscopic surgery was done followed with 6 mos. of physical therapy. Then I tried accupuncture performed by an MD certified in accupuncture. What a relief. It worked much faster than physical therapy. Results I could feel with less pain and quicker movement of my muscles. I knew when I got on the table before my 45min. session ended I would be painfree. Accupunture is not for everyone but it worked for me.

Comment from: Dunnp1007, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

In 2006 I was in a really bad car accident. My rotator cuff ripped in two different spots. I was sent to physical therapy where I went twice a week and also had to do ten exercises, three times a day. After a year of physical therapy and doing my at home exercises my rotator cuff did not heal. So in May 2007 my ortho doctor did surgery and sent me back to physical therapy. Then in October 2007 I was in another car accident where I did more damage to my rotor cuff and ripped almost every muscle and tendon in the same shoulder. Again,0 I was sent back to physical therapy and again it did not help. So in May of 2008 they did another surgery to try and fix it again. It did not help. In 2010 I was told that I had frozen shoulder. They did an injection similar to cortisone but stronger that somewhat helped. Then again in 2011 I was told I had frozen shoulder again. They did more physical therapy and more injections. Again, they helped for a little while then in the middle of 2012 my shoulder ended up hurting the worst ever and again I was told it was frozen shoulder. The doctor's don't know what to do next.

Comment from: Pain hater, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

The best treatment for a frozen shoulder is do not lift anything heavy at all, as this will make it worse. Keep away from washing baskets; lifting babies/toddlers, carrying heavy bags of shopping and doing heavy housework. I had a double-banger of frozen shoulder. I got it in the left shoulder, and in a matter of weeks it was on the right side at the same time. I couldn't lift my arms up over my head, so dressing and undressing became very difficult, as did sleeping. Reaching up to get something off the top shelf was also very painful.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I had surgery where my doctor did manipulation. That was about 5 years ago. I have total range of motion in that shoulder. Now my other shoulder is frozen. I have no insurance now so am unable to have the surgery again. Having read that the pain will eventually go away given enough time has given me hope. If I move suddenly or my shoulder is jarred in any way the pain nearly brings me to my knees. An episode of this pain is so exhausting.

Comment from: mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I have been suffering with frozen shoulder for the last two and a half months. I like the articles that say the pain will start going away soon, but don't like the ones that say it will take 6 months. I haven't started physical therapy yet because my doctor says that with it or without it, it will take the same time to heal. But I like the idea of swimming and will try that. By the way the most difficult things to do with a frozen shoulder are washing your hair, taking off a t-shirt and sleeping!

Frozen Shoulder - Cause Question: What was the cause of your frozen shoulder?
Frozen Shoulder - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your frozen shoulder?
Frozen Shoulder - Prognosis Question: What is your frozen shoulder prognosis? Did you have physical therapy?