Patient Comments: Frostbite - Experience

What was your experience with frostbite?

Comment from: Diane, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 06

My sister was frost bitten. She was found lying on her back with her eyes wide open and unconscious for two and half hours. Her left leg was badly frost bitten. She has nerve damage in both legs and feet. At least her left knee is slowly healing. This has been the worst.

Comment from: fritzilou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I self diagnosed Chilblains after a visit to NYC the week of February 15. While waiting at the airport a few days later, I began to feel that I was getting a cold. My nose ran profusely and continuously for 12 hours. The next morning, what had appeared to be a cold, was gone and my body was covered with splotches. The itching and burning was severe and has gradually diminished over the next four days. I used Purel itch cream constantly and had difficulty sleeping, because of the itching and burning. Today is the fourth day and most of the itching is gone. I still have the splotches, but most are diminishing. One area most severe was at the shins. The color of the splotches are deep to light raspberry.

Comment from: bvl, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: February 23

My husband was exposed to frostbite in the Korean war while in the mountains. He developed vascular disease in later life and subsequently lost his toes and a leg amputation.

Comment from: kyle, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

In 2001 I was in a car wreck and laid out in the elements for 8 hours in 20 below zero weather. I had frostbite to all of my outer extremities. My right hand took the hardest hit with the amputation of the right index finger. To this day I've had a pain stimulation system installed between my c6 and c7 in my spine been on all sorts of nerve blockers meds and have had right stella nerve block done. To no avail the pain is still there if anyone knows any other options please help.

Comment from: mareena, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

My index finger was frozen to lance an infected hangnail. The Dr. mistakenly used a bottle that included epinephren in it. My index and middle finger were frozen for over 12 hours even though the doctor kept me in treatment room warming and massaging the area. It is 4 weeks now and cannot bend the index finger and it is 4 different colors. Some skin is beginning to peel at the bottom and middle. The top part is hard, black, purple, red and yellow. The finger is still swollen thus no bending. Doctor said it will take 4 to 6 weeks further for peeling.

Frostbite - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were your the symptoms and signs of your frostbite?
Frostbite - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your frostbite injury?
Frostbite - Recovery Time Question: Please describe your experience with frostbite injury recovery time?