Patient Comments: Foot Pain - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your foot pain?

Comment from: Eric, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

Ten year ago, I was an intense dancer over the weekend, doing about 6 to 8 hours each day. I had soreness under one foot (right foot) that took 3 to 4 days to recover. I saw doctors, had x-rays, and a podiatrist prescribed insert that I wore but the only cure was to reduce my dancing to 3 to 4 hour each Saturday and Sunday. Last November 2013, I realized the soreness wasn"t going away even after 1 week of rest. So I stopped dancing altogether, and saw the doctors who basically did not provide much hope for a cure. I have since been walking about 1 hour a day and doing foot massages and yoga to balance the rest of the body. I am not diabetic, and my urea count was normal but I have had mild high blood pressure under control with medication since 1997. In the past 2 months I had been cutting back on meat, nuts and beans and for precaution, I also cut back on any uric acid producing food to the minimum. I am glad to say the soreness in my feet is almost 100% gone, although I have not gone back to dancing yet. Yes, I do my daily morning (20 minutes and afternoon (60 minutes) walks plus massage of the foot after each walk, and yoga at least 3 times a week that I had always done since I was 17 years old.

Comment from: kemo2381, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

A few years back, I had severe pain in my feet. After working all day, I drive home and I would have extreme pain. Also when I would get up in the morning so painful. My doctor gave me a boot to wear at night to keep my foot muscles from binding up. It worked excellent. I could tell the difference after just a few nights.

Comment from: footloose, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

I have had major foot pain for years. This pain has stopped me working or walking anywhere. I was advised that I had peripheral neuropathy and had to grin and bear it. I have however discovered that I have fluid retention and that the fluid pools on the soles of my feet. I got some diuretics from the chemist and take one tablet a night. It has not solved the problem but I can walk almost anywhere. I no longer lay in bed at night with painful feet keeping ne awake. It certainly helped me it could be of benefit to you.

Comment from: RLHouse, 45-54 Female Published: October 19

I don't know what to do I have burning pain in the bottom of my feet between may second and third toes, It's getting to the point I can hardly walk, run and it even hurts sometimes when I'm sitting. I went to one Doctor she told me to tape my two toes together and that should relieve the pain but it hasn't. I am at my wits end has anyone ever had these kinds of problems please I will try almost anything to relieve the pain.

Comment from: ivbc11, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have been suffering w/foot pain for 8 years. It started in 1 foot then spread to the other one. It began in the ball of my foot-it felt like I had a splinter in it, or something in my shoe. It then spread to the arch area, up and over my toes. I was told I had mortons neuroma. I went to a podiatrist, and I was given injections (ouch) and had my foot wrapped in an ace bandage. This treatment made it worse-never helped. I then was working with a nurse, who had the same symptoms as I did. She gave me a book to read-burning soles & aching toes. It explained quite a bit. It offered many combinations of medications for relief. I tried a lot of them--neurontin, baclofen, clonadine. I stayed on these for several years, but I was still having extreme pain, which by this time included swelling of my feet & ankles, pain in my Achilles tendon. I felt like there was nothing i could do-I was only able to wear 1 type of shoe (crocs), with an insert in them for my arches, and for pain in the bottom of my feet. Finally after many tests etc I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy (I am not diabetic), and tarsal tunnel syndrome. I began going to a pain specialist. Now I take neurontin 800mg 3 times a day, baclofen 10mg 3 times a day, clonadine 0.2mg 1 time daily at bedtime, vicodin 3 times daily, and I wear a fentanyl patch 50mcg, which I change every 48 hours. All of this, and I still have pain in my feet, ankles, Achilles tendon, swelling of feet and ankles, and my pain is starting to move up both of my legs. I have been living with this for 10 years. grrrr! If anyone has any suggestions for me, that would be great! Thanks

Comment from: Fizz, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I have been suffering with foot pain for years and been told time and again, 'there's nothing we can do'. Only relief I can find is 1200 mg ibuprofen during the day. My job involves walking up to five miles a day and like many people, the constant foot pain is impacting my work, weekend chores and golf.

Foot Pain - Cause Question: What caused your foot pain?
Foot Pain - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you have with your foot pain?
Foot Pain - Medical Treatment Question: What type of doctor or specialist did you go to for your foot pain? Please share your experience.
Foot Pain - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests that you had to diagnose the source of your foot pain.
Foot Pain - Prevention Question: If you've previously suffered foot pain, what precautions would you make before starting a new exercise routine?