Patient Comments: Foot Pain - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your foot pain?

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had severe pain in my feet. The pain was so bad that upon standing my whole body would shake from pain. I went gluten free (am not celiac). This resolved much of the foot pain. My ANA (anti-nuclear antibody test went to 0) when I went gluten free. I also had a physical therapist make custom orthotics for my flat feet.

Comment from: Jane, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 03

I had a head injury in June 2014 and had dizziness/vertigo for 6 months. It went away for 6 month and is now back even worse. I've had ear test, and a CT scan but all is good. In the last week I've had a noise in my right ear that goes to the rhythm of my heart beat. Having vertigo is not a nice feeling, I've had to stop doing a lot of the things I enjoy. I'm a bit over this and would love to know of a cure. Lying down is the worst.

Comment from: clouddancer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

Taking gabapentin helps my foot pain tremendously. I also wear a rubber sole shoe. This seems to give more cushioning.

Comment from: Eric, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

Ten year ago, I was an intense dancer over the weekend, doing about 6 to 8 hours each day. I had soreness under one foot (right foot) that took 3 to 4 days to recover. I saw doctors, had x-rays, and a podiatrist prescribed insert that I wore but the only cure was to reduce my dancing to 3 to 4 hour each Saturday and Sunday. Last November 2013, I realized the soreness wasn"t going away even after 1 week of rest. So I stopped dancing altogether, and saw the doctors who basically did not provide much hope for a cure. I have since been walking about 1 hour a day and doing foot massages and yoga to balance the rest of the body. I am not diabetic, and my urea count was normal but I have had mild high blood pressure under control with medication since 1997. In the past 2 months I had been cutting back on meat, nuts and beans and for precaution, I also cut back on any uric acid producing food to the minimum. I am glad to say the soreness in my feet is almost 100% gone, although I have not gone back to dancing yet. Yes, I do my daily morning (20 minutes and afternoon (60 minutes) walks plus massage of the foot after each walk, and yoga at least 3 times a week that I had always done since I was 17 years old.

Comment from: kemo2381, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

A few years back, I had severe pain in my feet. After working all day, I drive home and I would have extreme pain. Also when I would get up in the morning so painful. My doctor gave me a boot to wear at night to keep my foot muscles from binding up. It worked excellent. I could tell the difference after just a few nights.

Comment from: Fizz, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I have been suffering with foot pain for years and been told time and again, 'there's nothing we can do'. Only relief I can find is 1200 mg ibuprofen during the day. My job involves walking up to five miles a day and like many people, the constant foot pain is impacting my work, weekend chores and golf.

Comment from: footloose, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

I have had major foot pain for years. This pain has stopped me working or walking anywhere. I was advised that I had peripheral neuropathy and had to grin and bear it. I have however discovered that I have fluid retention and that the fluid pools on the soles of my feet. I got some diuretics from the chemist and take one tablet a night. It has not solved the problem but I can walk almost anywhere. I no longer lay in bed at night with painful feet keeping ne awake. It certainly helped me it could be of benefit to you.

Foot Pain - Cause Question: What caused your foot pain?
Foot Pain - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you have with your foot pain?
Foot Pain - Medical Treatment Question: What type of doctor or specialist did you go to for your foot pain? Please share your experience.
Foot Pain - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests that you had to diagnose the source of your foot pain.
Foot Pain - Prevention Question: If you've previously suffered foot pain, what precautions would you make before starting a new exercise routine?