Patient Comments: Foot Pain - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your foot pain?

Comment from: Tracy, 65-74 Female Published: December 15

I had C5, C6 and C7 fused. A week later gout started in my big toe and foot. Horrible pain. I can't take anti-inflammatories because of neck surgery, so doctors are giving me narcotics to relieve pain (doesn't work very well). It is now moving to my ankle. Also, I developed cellulitis, which caused a giant blister on top of my foot, which doctor had to drain. This is the worst pain ever. I'm taking the preventive medication, but it doesn't really do anything either.

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had severe pain in my feet. The pain was so bad that upon standing my whole body would shake from pain. I went gluten free (am not celiac). This resolved much of the foot pain. My ANA (anti-nuclear antibody test went to 0) when I went gluten free. I also had a physical therapist make custom orthotics for my flat feet.

Comment from: Jane, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 03

I had a head injury in June 2014 and had dizziness/vertigo for 6 months. It went away for 6 month and is now back even worse. I've had ear test, and a CT scan but all is good. In the last week I've had a noise in my right ear that goes to the rhythm of my heart beat. Having vertigo is not a nice feeling, I've had to stop doing a lot of the things I enjoy. I'm a bit over this and would love to know of a cure. Lying down is the worst.

Comment from: clouddancer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

Taking gabapentin helps my foot pain tremendously. I also wear a rubber sole shoe. This seems to give more cushioning.

Comment from: Eric, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

Ten year ago, I was an intense dancer over the weekend, doing about 6 to 8 hours each day. I had soreness under one foot (right foot) that took 3 to 4 days to recover. I saw doctors, had x-rays, and a podiatrist prescribed insert that I wore but the only cure was to reduce my dancing to 3 to 4 hour each Saturday and Sunday. Last November 2013, I realized the soreness wasn"t going away even after 1 week of rest. So I stopped dancing altogether, and saw the doctors who basically did not provide much hope for a cure. I have since been walking about 1 hour a day and doing foot massages and yoga to balance the rest of the body. I am not diabetic, and my urea count was normal but I have had mild high blood pressure under control with medication since 1997. In the past 2 months I had been cutting back on meat, nuts and beans and for precaution, I also cut back on any uric acid producing food to the minimum. I am glad to say the soreness in my feet is almost 100% gone, although I have not gone back to dancing yet. Yes, I do my daily morning (20 minutes and afternoon (60 minutes) walks plus massage of the foot after each walk, and yoga at least 3 times a week that I had always done since I was 17 years old.

Comment from: Tonah, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I have foot pain in bed from the blankets. I found this product called the blanket bar. It really helps lower the pain experience from the blankets. I am just saying it helps.

Comment from: kemo2381, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

A few years back, I had severe pain in my feet. After working all day, I drive home and I would have extreme pain. Also when I would get up in the morning so painful. My doctor gave me a boot to wear at night to keep my foot muscles from binding up. It worked excellent. I could tell the difference after just a few nights.

Foot Pain - Cause Question: What caused your foot pain?
Foot Pain - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you have with your foot pain?
Foot Pain - Medical Treatment Question: What type of doctor or specialist did you go to for your foot pain? Please share your experience.
Foot Pain - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests that you had to diagnose the source of your foot pain.
Foot Pain - Prevention Question: If you've previously suffered foot pain, what precautions would you make before starting a new exercise routine?