Patient Comments: Foot Pain - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your foot pain?

Comment from: J.Gothard, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I have had severe foot pain for almost two years now. Only in my left foot, and always in the same place. Here is the weird thing: it is debilitating at times. I get out of my truck and it literally takes five minutes to "get my foot under me" without excruciating pain. Once I finally am able to get my weight on it and walk for a bit, I am OK and relatively pain free. As soon as I relax, drive, or take weight off for any amount of time, the pain is back in full force and the vicious cycle reruns itself. It is not a burning pain, but a sharp knife-like jabbing pain in the lower part of the outside of the left foot. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment from: Bill, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

When I'm not walking I have no pain in my left foot. I only have to walk a short distance and my foot starts to ache, more on the top of the foot than the underside.

Comment from: jablc, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 12

I walked on hard hospital floors for one day in flat sandals that were cute but obviously bad for the feet. My left foot aches constantly; most of the pain is located on the bottom of the arch and the outer sides of my foot.

Comment from: Henna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

One and half years ago, I sprained my right ankle. It did not get the correct treatment it required and it has been getting worse and worse. I am always in a lot of pain. The doctors have said the tendons and ligaments around the ankle are damaged. I am in so much pain when I walk or stand for more than 30 seconds. I have tried so many things in order to recover but no luck. I have tried acupuncture. I have been on crutches. Physiotherapy. Please suggest anything to make my day to day life easier.

Comment from: james, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

Foot cooling gel containing Aloe Vera and bathing the feet every night in cold water. The water will still feel red hot to you if you have Idiopathic Neuropathology. Prescribed patches of Lydocain will also help but they can be used only for a 12 hour period before removal. Have a cool fan blowing on the soles of your feet and used cotton linen on your bed.

Comment from: jrocco, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 12

I have had pain on the outer upper side of my left foot that feels like a damaged tendon. The pain has been there for over 3 months. My feet have not been injured in any way. I have type 2 diabetes. This causes me to limp when I walk.

Comment from: Nick, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I'm 16 and I play basketball for my school, but 4 months ago my feet started hurting, then my ankles and then my knees. I can't run up and down the court, and I have lost like 20 inches off my vertical leap. I don't even remember getting injured.

Comment from: RLS, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 15

I had a planter's wart in the ball of my foot years ago and had it removed. Lately, I've been having terrible, sharp pain in that area. I thought it was gout arthritis, but the more I read it seems that the symptoms are different. What I'm experiencing is a sharp pain whether I am seated or standing. I have not sought out medical attention yet and would like to know if there is something that I can do first.

Comment from: Burt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 14

I have had foot pain since my early 20's and I am now 64. When I stand for any length of time the bottoms of my feet hurt badly. I have gone to foot doctors that did therapy, arch supports, and two Neurologist that found no problems but I am still having pain on the bottoms of my feet. I am in excellent health and exercise 5 to 6 days per week. When I run more than 5 miles it starts hurting to the point I think they are numb. Who should I see for relief? I am tired of living like this. I want to be active but the pain is just too much at times.

Foot Pain - Cause Question: What caused your foot pain?
Foot Pain - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you have with your foot pain?
Foot Pain - Medical Treatment Question: What type of doctor or specialist did you go to for your foot pain? Please share your experience.
Foot Pain - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests that you had to diagnose the source of your foot pain.
Foot Pain - Prevention Question: If you've previously suffered foot pain, what precautions would you make before starting a new exercise routine?