Patient Comments: Foot Pain - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your foot pain?

Comment from: hanna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

The only time I have relief from toe pain is when I have no shoe on the foot and I am not on my foot. I have it elevated and am not putting weight on it or bending it at the toe area.

Comment from: L. Christensen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I have had the exact same problem as another patient, except it's my right foot. I am actually fine walking. However, any time I sit or lay down, it will take me a good 10 minutes of standing and walking to stop feeling pain in my foot. It is a sharp stabbing pain on the top of my foot. I have tried different sleeping positions. I've used pillows under my feet, tried elevating my feet, used a pillow between my legs – but nothing has worked. I've also tried foot wraps, different shoe inserts, and different kinds of shoes, etc. When I am lying down or sitting, the foot does not hurt; it only hurts when I initially start to move it or put weight on it. I do not have diabetes or high blood pressure. I am about 20 pounds overweight. Any ideas I can share with my doctor?

Comment from: Hot Rod, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

19 years ago I was involved in a drunk driving car accident. I received a Traumatic Brain Injury, (closed head injury), a C-2 fracture in my neck, spent 45 days in a coma and developed "Heterotopic Ossification"(misplaced bone growth) during the coma where bone had grown connecting my pelvis to my femur. That caused my leg (left) to curl up and freeze, you couldn't even pull it down straight. A year later they performed surgery to remove the bone mass that grew and I had to lengthen the tendons and hamstrings in my knee to make my leg straight again. I can walk now but my foot often has severe muscle spasms I need ideas of medications that can help relax my foot. My doctors say "they don't know what to do since they have never seen it spasm." I can't call it on command and wouldn't want to, it hurts and I have no help to relax it. I hope to discover medications to tell my doctor about prescribing me but he told me, "he doesn't understand or know what to do.”

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I work an eight-hour day and walk on concrete floors. I lift and walk with up to 30 pounds for a 1-to-10-foot distance. Also, I have flat feet. Now I use Gold Bond Pain Relief Foot and Ankle Cream. This cream works for me; and, in addition, I need less pain relievers.

Comment from: J.Gothard, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I have had severe foot pain for almost two years now. Only in my left foot, and always in the same place. Here is the weird thing: it is debilitating at times. I get out of my truck and it literally takes five minutes to "get my foot under me" without excruciating pain. Once I finally am able to get my weight on it and walk for a bit, I am OK and relatively pain free. As soon as I relax, drive, or take weight off for any amount of time, the pain is back in full force and the vicious cycle reruns itself. It is not a burning pain, but a sharp knife-like jabbing pain in the lower part of the outside of the left foot. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment from: Bill, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

When I'm not walking I have no pain in my left foot. I only have to walk a short distance and my foot starts to ache, more on the top of the foot than the underside.

Comment from: jablc, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 12

I walked on hard hospital floors for one day in flat sandals that were cute but obviously bad for the feet. My left foot aches constantly; most of the pain is located on the bottom of the arch and the outer sides of my foot.

Comment from: Henna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

One and half years ago, I sprained my right ankle. It did not get the correct treatment it required and it has been getting worse and worse. I am always in a lot of pain. The doctors have said the tendons and ligaments around the ankle are damaged. I am in so much pain when I walk or stand for more than 30 seconds. I have tried so many things in order to recover but no luck. I have tried acupuncture. I have been on crutches. Physiotherapy. Please suggest anything to make my day to day life easier.

Foot Pain - Cause Question: What caused your foot pain?
Foot Pain - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you have with your foot pain?
Foot Pain - Medical Treatment Question: What type of doctor or specialist did you go to for your foot pain? Please share your experience.
Foot Pain - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests that you had to diagnose the source of your foot pain.
Foot Pain - Prevention Question: If you've previously suffered foot pain, what precautions would you make before starting a new exercise routine?