Patient Comments: Foot Pain - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your foot pain?

Comment from: RLHouse, 45-54 Female Published: October 19

I don't know what to do I have burning pain in the bottom of my feet between may second and third toes, It's getting to the point I can hardly walk, run and it even hurts sometimes when I'm sitting. I went to one Doctor she told me to tape my two toes together and that should relieve the pain but it hasn't. I am at my wits end has anyone ever had these kinds of problems please I will try almost anything to relieve the pain.

Comment from: ivbc11, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have been suffering w/foot pain for 8 years. It started in 1 foot then spread to the other one. It began in the ball of my foot-it felt like I had a splinter in it, or something in my shoe. It then spread to the arch area, up and over my toes. I was told I had mortons neuroma. I went to a podiatrist, and I was given injections (ouch) and had my foot wrapped in an ace bandage. This treatment made it worse-never helped. I then was working with a nurse, who had the same symptoms as I did. She gave me a book to read-burning soles & aching toes. It explained quite a bit. It offered many combinations of medications for relief. I tried a lot of them--neurontin, baclofen, clonadine. I stayed on these for several years, but I was still having extreme pain, which by this time included swelling of my feet & ankles, pain in my Achilles tendon. I felt like there was nothing i could do-I was only able to wear 1 type of shoe (crocs), with an insert in them for my arches, and for pain in the bottom of my feet. Finally after many tests etc I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy (I am not diabetic), and tarsal tunnel syndrome. I began going to a pain specialist. Now I take neurontin 800mg 3 times a day, baclofen 10mg 3 times a day, clonadine 0.2mg 1 time daily at bedtime, vicodin 3 times daily, and I wear a fentanyl patch 50mcg, which I change every 48 hours. All of this, and I still have pain in my feet, ankles, Achilles tendon, swelling of feet and ankles, and my pain is starting to move up both of my legs. I have been living with this for 10 years. grrrr! If anyone has any suggestions for me, that would be great! Thanks

Comment from: Hot Rod, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

19 years ago I was involved in a drunk driving car accident. I received a Traumatic Brain Injury, (closed head injury), a C-2 fracture in my neck, spent 45 days in a coma and developed "Heterotopic Ossification"(misplaced bone growth) during the coma where bone had grown connecting my pelvis to my femur. That caused my leg (left) to curl up and freeze, you couldn't even pull it down straight. A year later they performed surgery to remove the bone mass that grew and I had to lengthen the tendons and hamstrings in my knee to make my leg straight again. I can walk now but my foot often has severe muscle spasms I need ideas of medications that can help relax my foot. My doctors say "they don't know what to do since they have never seen it spasm." I can't call it on command and wouldn't want to, it hurts and I have no help to relax it. I hope to discover medications to tell my doctor about prescribing me but he told me, "he doesn't understand or know what to do.”

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I work an eight-hour day and walk on concrete floors. I lift and walk with up to 30 pounds for a 1-to-10-foot distance. Also, I have flat feet. Now I use Gold Bond Pain Relief Foot and Ankle Cream. This cream works for me; and, in addition, I need less pain relievers.

Comment from: hanna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

The only time I have relief from toe pain is when I have no shoe on the foot and I am not on my foot. I have it elevated and am not putting weight on it or bending it at the toe area.

Comment from: L. Christensen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I have had the exact same problem as another patient, except it's my right foot. I am actually fine walking. However, any time I sit or lay down, it will take me a good 10 minutes of standing and walking to stop feeling pain in my foot. It is a sharp stabbing pain on the top of my foot. I have tried different sleeping positions. I've used pillows under my feet, tried elevating my feet, used a pillow between my legs – but nothing has worked. I've also tried foot wraps, different shoe inserts, and different kinds of shoes, etc. When I am lying down or sitting, the foot does not hurt; it only hurts when I initially start to move it or put weight on it. I do not have diabetes or high blood pressure. I am about 20 pounds overweight. Any ideas I can share with my doctor?

Foot Pain - Cause Question: What caused your foot pain?
Foot Pain - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you have with your foot pain?
Foot Pain - Medical Treatment Question: What type of doctor or specialist did you go to for your foot pain? Please share your experience.
Foot Pain - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests that you had to diagnose the source of your foot pain.
Foot Pain - Prevention Question: If you've previously suffered foot pain, what precautions would you make before starting a new exercise routine?