Patient Comments: Foot Pain - Cause

What caused your foot pain?

Comment from: Dhighway, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I first started experiencing pain in my left little toe. It felt like an ingrown toenail, so I went to my podiatrist and he told me that it looked like a blood flow problem or blockage, so I went to a vascular surgeon and had an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed that the abdominal aortic artery was 90 percent blocked. Long story short, I have now had 3 surgeries, although yes, it was blocked, my foot is actually worse, and I can hardly bear weight on it or get much sleep anymore. The pain is in the left foot 4th and 3rd toes with big toe being 1, and on top of the foot and both sides of the front of that foot. In researching, it sounds like it could be Morton's neuroma. I also have a quarter size knot in the middle bottom of the same foot. The pain is unbearable at times, sharp stabbing pain with cramping in toes pulling them upward. I am at a loss and it has ruined my lifestyle and is close to ruining my career. It has been going on for over a year now.

Comment from: roshan k., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 02

I get pain in the sole with occasional burning sensation, the pads under the flanges (toes) are affected more. I take Thyronorm 50 mg for thyroid problem. I wonder if this could be the reason for my foot pain.

Comment from: Sanders33, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I have had neuropathy issues since I was 17. I wasn't officially diagnosed until I was 29 with autonomic neuropathy, loss of myelin. The pain is in both of my legs. The other day, I could have sworn I had a splinter in my foot. I always have on shoes, but figured, stranger things have happened. It hurt so bad I couldn't put any pressure on it. My husband tried to look for it, but nothing. When I woke up today, I wanted to see if I could walk on it. It was tender for a moment, then fine. I'm sensing this is a new chapter in the abnormal sensation department. It's nice to see others have experienced this as well.

Comment from: bones, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

Sometimes my foot bones bunch up, mostly my small toe and the toes next to the small toe. if I try to pick up something with my toes this happens and if I bend down to pick something up also it happens, but not every time. It is painful when it happens. I have to shake my foot and wiggle my toes to get them back in place.

Comment from: Pamala, 55-64 (Patient) Published: April 01

After twisting my ankle, two months later I experienced terrible arch foot pain in both feet. I sought counsel from a podiatrist who prescribed inserts. The pain continued and I saw an internist who diagnosed plantar problems. This was the wrong diagnosis, since no x-rays or MRIs were done. Finally I went to a foot specialist who after x-rays and MRIs diagnosed edema on the HCL tendon. I had a cortisone shot which did not help. My pain continues when I stand for any length of time. I am 55 and I walked over 2 miles and swam three times a week before this incident. It is going on six months to no avail. I think it is important to have the correct diagnosis so you can proceed with the correct information.

Comment from: Momof6, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have a lot of foot pain. It is more at the base of my toes and the first 3 to 4 inches before the toes. It's a pain between an ache and burning. When I don't move they're ok, usually. But even stretching my toes hurts. Walking stairs is quite painful, but even worse in the morning. I have 6 kids, and always gained a lot of weight during pregnancy. I often had pain during or for a while after pregnancy but it was more in the heel and bottom of my feet. I have pain in my lower back very often too. Actually kind of the whole pelvic bone areas. I'm a bit overweight, and tall. I'm trying to lose weight which is working slowly, but unlike previously that doesn't cut it yet.

Foot Pain - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your foot pain?
Foot Pain - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you have with your foot pain?
Foot Pain - Medical Treatment Question: What type of doctor or specialist did you go to for your foot pain? Please share your experience.
Foot Pain - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests that you had to diagnose the source of your foot pain.
Foot Pain - Prevention Question: If you've previously suffered foot pain, what precautions would you make before starting a new exercise routine?