Patient Comments: Foot Pain - Cause

What caused your foot pain?

Comment from: Sanders33, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I have had neuropathy issues since I was 17. I wasn't officially diagnosed until I was 29 with autonomic neuropathy, loss of myelin. The pain is in both of my legs. The other day, I could have sworn I had a splinter in my foot. I always have on shoes, but figured, stranger things have happened. It hurt so bad I couldn't put any pressure on it. My husband tried to look for it, but nothing. When I woke up today, I wanted to see if I could walk on it. It was tender for a moment, then fine. I'm sensing this is a new chapter in the abnormal sensation department. It's nice to see others have experienced this as well.

Comment from: bones, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

Sometimes my foot bones bunch up, mostly my small toe and the toes next to the small toe. if I try to pick up something with my toes this happens and if I bend down to pick something up also it happens, but not every time. It is painful when it happens. I have to shake my foot and wiggle my toes to get them back in place.

Comment from: Pamala, 55-64 (Patient) Published: April 01

After twisting my ankle, two months later I experienced terrible arch foot pain in both feet. I sought counsel from a podiatrist who prescribed inserts. The pain continued and I saw an internist who diagnosed plantar problems. This was the wrong diagnosis, since no x-rays or MRIs were done. Finally I went to a foot specialist who after x-rays and MRIs diagnosed edema on the HCL tendon. I had a cortisone shot which did not help. My pain continues when I stand for any length of time. I am 55 and I walked over 2 miles and swam three times a week before this incident. It is going on six months to no avail. I think it is important to have the correct diagnosis so you can proceed with the correct information.

Comment from: hanna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I ran into my dog's foot and it split my pinkie and toe beside it at a great force. It bent them and he also stepped on the top of my foot. He is a 45-pound dog and a bit rough. I have thin feet and osteoporosis. The top of my foot and the two smaller toes immediately turned black and blue and were very painful. I could not walk without hobbling for a few days. I didn't go for an x-ray for two weeks as I figured there was nothing to be done but buddy tape. X-ray showed no break but a dislocation. I continue to have pain and numbness and tingling under my second to pinkie toe. The toe is misshapen and when I was walking at a fair a few days ago, I got a terrible pain in between those toes like a Charlie horse, and couldn't walk. I wonder if there is some kind of nerve or ligament damage, since it's been 10 weeks since the injury and I'm still having issues. It wasn't so bad with summer weather I could wear open shoes, but I can't wear a closed shoe without pain.

Comment from: rbsmith, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 13

My mother is in her last stages of life under hospice care. She has heart problems, blocked artery, pacemaker, and diabetes. In the last week she has experienced severe foot pain from her shins down. It is so severe that she cannot walk. No one seems to know what caused this pain. Pain medicines including liquid morphine and morphine tablets do not work, they just help her sleep; if she tries to stand the excruciating pain continues.

Comment from: LIL MAMA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have foot pain to where sometimes it is unbearable. It is sharp burning and it is in the heels of my feet.

Comment from: anne, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 02

My right foot hurts under the bottom from the heel all the way to the big toe.

Foot Pain - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your foot pain?
Foot Pain - Symptoms Question: What other symptoms did you have with your foot pain?
Foot Pain - Medical Treatment Question: What type of doctor or specialist did you go to for your foot pain? Please share your experience.
Foot Pain - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams and tests that you had to diagnose the source of your foot pain.
Foot Pain - Prevention Question: If you've previously suffered foot pain, what precautions would you make before starting a new exercise routine?