Patient Comments: Food Poisoning - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your food poisoning?

Comment from: charlie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

Symptoms included stomach cramps, watery diarrhea, and dizziness. I also experienced burping with a foul egg taste. The symptoms occurred about 12 hours after eating and lasted for 2 days. I still felt light headed and tired a few days after. I drank lots of Gatorade and water and ate bland foods so as not to upset my stomach during recovery. It occurred after I ate take-out ordered from a person's home. I will never do that again!

Comment from: Tarantulady, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

Two hours after eating (caused by either fried clams or strawberries or frozen yogurt) I almost instantly got a strange feeling of confusion and dizziness. I just sat there wondering and then suddenly began having almost purely-water diarrhea. The diarrhea was joined by strong vomiting about 2 hours in. The vomiting was uncontrollable for about 1 to 3 hours where I thought I'd choke! Every drop of water I drank came out. Twelve hours later, doctors for a shot of Tigan so I can drink. It's been 30 plus hours since onset, nausea is stopped (by drug) and diarrhea and bloating have continued. I think I'll never eat food again!

Comment from: kuzzi, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I have serious pain in the bowel area, diarrhea, tingling feeling in fingers and toes, dizziness, and a serious headache; feeling really chilly all the time. Wonder what kind of food poisoning that is. I take ibuprofen which does block all symptoms but only for a couple of hours and then all starts again.

Comment from: mahala61, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

Since Saturday I have had a lot of watery diarrhea followed by intense vomiting all day Saturday. The vomiting has stopped but the runs to the bathroom haven't. I ate a broccoli salad and I know it made me sick. It all came up on the first day for most of the day. I'm going into day 5 so I guess I need to go to the hospital. I have a terrible headache.

Comment from: DJ2014, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I ate breakfast at a shelter and I left that morning. Then I start getting severe stomach cramps and then I started having diarrhea every 30 minutes to an hour. I even started burping up a bad odor even though I had brushed my teeth that morning.

Comment from: Linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

Diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and bloating.

Comment from: Silverstar685, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I am experiencing the same symptoms. I think it was from either bleu cheese or spinach. It started with terrible stomach cramping, followed by intense diarrhea and then vomiting occurred about an hour later. Finally after 4 hours, the vomiting has subsided. However, the diarrhea is still present. I would like to take Imodium but this site said that it could cause further problems. I worried because I have a preexisting kidney disease.

Comment from: Evonda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

Ate a brown avocado (don't even ask) at 1 p.m. Eleven hours later I was awakened by bad stomach cramps, had severe diarrhea which rendered me virtually helpless on the bathroom floor for about half an hour. Within an hour of the diarrhea onset came intense vomiting (three episodes within a 2 hour period). No more vomiting but the diarrhea lasted, though decreased for a period of about 36 hours.

Food Poisoning - Treatment Question: What was your treatment, including medication, for food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with food poisoning.
Food Poisoning - Home Remedies Question: Please provide home remedies you've used to treat symptoms related to food poisoning.