Patient Comments: Food Poisoning - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your food poisoning?

Comment from: MN Baseball fan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I ate a Cuban pork sandwich at the ballgame at 3 PM. Next day, less than 24 hours later it felt like an alien was going to pop out of my stomach. I had a bad feeling when I ate the sandwich. The meat looked a little raw, but it tasted good. I came close to vomiting, but never did. I spent the next two days on and off the throne. Finally I started feeling better the next day, but when I tried to get out of bed the room started spinning rapidly. What is this! Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) that probably came about from the food poisoning is what I'm finding out.

Comment from: Rose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

Several hours after eating a chicken soup with vegetables that may not have been refrigerated properly I was at work and started feeling weird and dizzy like the room was spinning around me. Shortly after that I was in the bathroom but no diarrhea because I take probiotics constantly (thank goodness), everything that came out was solid, not diarrhea. However, I started vomiting and this continued for about 5 to 8 hours. The dizziness continued and I am on day two at home. The vomiting has ceased (hopefully) replaced by headache and chills. I am drinking hot lemon with honey and it helped immensely. I also took some olive leaf capsules which kill bacteria and noticed an immediate relief last night. No food yet (24 hours) just the lemon drink so far.

Comment from: BetterNow, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

About 9 pm, I had a chocolate martini and I ate a steak (rare as always) and lobster dinner with mashed potatoes, some partially cooked spinach on top, asparagus, carrot, and mushroom and was very full. Later when I went to my hotel room, I finished a partially eaten piece of refrigerated chocolate cake. When I got up at 7, I didn't feel well, started getting cold and clammy, and cramps. I threw up 3 times and then started having diarrhea the rest of the day and am still having some, but along with the diarrhea, bright red blood is exiting; not pouring, but just lots of drops with each bowel movement. I had a routine colonoscopy in October and everything was fine. I am hoping the blood is just some internal hemorrhoid. I am still having cramping too from the food poisoning. It's now 24 hours since I ate dinner.

Comment from: Shazzler, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I got food poisoning 20 days ago after eating a kebab. Next day I had sickness and extreme diarrhea and I am still suffering from stomach cramps and now have got awful pain in my left hip. I tried pain killers but nothing works. Doctors gave me injection of pain relief a week and half ago and prescribed me Buscopan and told me that my intestines were having spasms. I also have only managed to eat 4 times since it began. I have been clear of the sickness and diarrhea for 4 days but still in so much pain and I passed out twice today as I can't eat and taking painkillers so back to the doctors again tomorrow. I never realized food poisoning could have such an effect.

Comment from: Nikkis, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I ate out for five days in a row and made bacon for breakfast, so as to what made me sick, the possibilities are endless. My brother and I went out for dinner. I got home at 8 pm and shortly started having intense, severe abdominal pain and nausea. I had a hard time throwing up, even though I knew it would have made me feel better. I also had a fever and terrible chills, very sweaty. By 3 am (I was awake all night with the awful stomach pain), I began vomiting aggressively all over the place. After that, I spent the rest of the night next to the toilet. That was all last night. I'm feeling slightly better now, keeping some food down.

Comment from: G123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

At a dinner party we left early because I was feeling very tired. By midnight I was throwing up and had a mild fever, body aches, chills and abdominal pain. These food poisoning symptoms lasted for two days. After eating (soup and crackers) I had diarrhea followed by gas. The whole time I was feeling dehydrated but nothing went down easily (not even fluids). I was very sick for three whole days. All I wanted to do was sleep because I was miserable.

Food Poisoning - Treatment Question: What was your treatment, including medication, for food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with food poisoning.
Food Poisoning - Home Remedies Question: Please provide home remedies you've used to treat symptoms related to food poisoning.