Patient Comments: Food Poisoning - Home Remedies

Please provide home remedies you've used to treat symptoms related to food poisoning.

Comment from: JT, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 28

I've been practicing home remedies for over 20 years and have had several occasions of food poisoning. As I am writing this, five hours ago food poisoning struck, excessive bowel movements and killer chills. I immediately got a large glass of water and put 1 1/2 capfuls from an apple cider vinegar bottle into the water. (Important, I said apple cider vinegar, do not use any other type of vinegar.) I started sipping on it and in a short period I was throwing up and also had the runs as well. Kept sipping and kept expelling from both ends and finally got most of it out of my system five hours later. Look up uses for apple cider vinegar and you will be amazed!

Comment from: Linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I followed a restricted diet and drank electrolyte water. The first day I ate dry toast, the second boiled white rice. Then I slowly introduced potatoes, oatmeal, and bananas. I also took garlic and probiotics. The diarrhea stopped in less than 24 hours. I'd been ill for over a week.

Comment from: posioned, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

Activated charcoal helped after the onset of symptoms when I could finally keep something down. Then focus on good water and simple fiber foods.

Comment from: djb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

Apple Cider vinegar, a gulp of about 1/2 oz. Within 30 minutes I was feeling better. I was sweating and feeling yucky with cramping until then.

Comment from: McGymnast, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

Lots of orange juice (with lots of pulp) it makes me feel better... I don't know why.

Comment from: Miserable in Texas, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 11

I ate at local eatery where I've never had a problem before. Had the usual ahi tuna salad with snap peas and bean sprouts. I suspect either the spinach or sprouts are what got me. This is the worst case of food poisoning ever (with projectile vomiting and diarrhea that lasted for four days).

Comment from: fluffy, 55-64 Female Published: October 31

I ate tuna from a salad bar at a supermarket. Within 30 minutes. I became nauseated with severe stomach pains. I was up all night with cramps, throwing up, and diarrhea. I still have all the symptoms. I'm not sure what I can do to comfort myself.

Food Poisoning - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Treatment Question: What was your treatment, including medication, for food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with food poisoning.