Patient Comments: Food Poisoning - Experience

Please describe your experience with food poisoning.

Comment from: TummyNotHappy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am still researching whether or not I have food poisoning or another flu ailment, but I felt perfectly fine when we started out on our road trip until after we stopped at a fast food restaurant and I ate a steak and egg burrito for breakfast. One hour later I felt car sick. Then more car sick. Then we arrived at our destination and I thought I would feel better, but I just got more car sick. My upper stomach was cramping and hurting and I felt extremely nauseous. I'm one of those people who will fight vomiting, but I probably would've felt better sooner if I had let it happen. I developed a low grade fever about 6 hours after breakfast and could not be close enough to a restroom because of the urgent diarrhea. My whole body ached so I thought it must be more than food poisoning. Then the headache started. I didn't take any medications for my symptoms. All body aches and fever gone after 18 hours. I haven't eaten in over 30 hours and my upper stomach still hurts. I did take Excedrin for the headache when I woke up the next day, and now all symptoms are gone except the upper tummy pain, and the watery diarrhea is persisting.

Comment from: Donny d, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

Due to food poisoning I have abdominal pain nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and then get chills. I also have belching, headache, weight loss, and knot in my throat.

Comment from: Sick, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

My wife and I ate a pizza from a fast food pizza place on Friday. We started vomiting early Saturday. It continued for three days. We had stomach pain and nausea for four more days. She lost 11 pounds; I lost 18 pounds. We are both 70, and are just finally eating solid food seven days after the pizza. We had crushed ice, sips of cold water, and Gatorade during those six days. We stayed in bed most of the time. Not a pleasant experience.

Comment from: dar, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I went to a family gathering with about 77 people in attendance. At first, I felt full, even though I didn't eat that much. I walked a bit and felt faint, so as I was starting to sit down, I fainted. One of the people at the gathering happened to be an emergency medical technician (EMT), so they took my blood pressure, which was low. I felt sick and had “instant diarrhea.” I went straight to the ER because my stomach hurt; I was nauseous, and gagging. At the hospital I was given something for my nausea, which helped. The next day wasn't too bad. Two days after the incident I tried some oatmeal – and wham – there it was again. Now I'm afraid to eat, with all of the gagging and diarrhea I had yesterday.

Food Poisoning - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Treatment Question: What was your treatment, including medication, for food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Home Remedies Question: Please provide home remedies you've used to treat symptoms related to food poisoning.