Patient Comments: Food Poisoning - Experience

Please describe your experience with food poisoning.

Comment from: DR, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

I get made fun of for how cautious I am about not eating things that are a few days old. Everyone makes fun of me for it, so when I was being ribbed a bit about some old lettuce my wife convinced me I was being paranoid about food poisoning. I was not. Twelve hours later I had intense stomach pain and nausea. No diarrhea. But probably the top worst days of my life. I couldn't hold anything down. I do have to say I was able to get down a few activated charcoal pills later in the evening and from there I improved dramatically.

Comment from: Meg, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I had some food that a friend (who is not that great with food safety; we're talking leaving leftovers on the counter for a couple of days sometimes) made. Since it was fresh and as requested put in the fridge while I was at work, I didn't think twice about eating the stir-fry noodles with chicken. I felt a little sick after eating it, thinking it was the beer I'd had with it. I didn't encounter problems until the next morning when I started getting mild abdominal cramps and mild diarrhea. They worsened as the morning wore on until I could hardly move from the pain. I had a little bit of nausea but thankfully didn't throw up, most likely because by then it had been hours since breakfast so there was nothing to throw up. I had no appetite through the day, though I did try a couple of spoonsful of applesauce, and paid for it later when it went straight through. I developed a fever, weakness, and body pain. I slept well though and didn't have any unpleasant episodes in the night. In the morning I had a headache, felt dizzy, and took some more broth (as I had periodically yesterday) and felt that subside a bit. I tried a bit more applesauce, it still ran through, though the cramps are much less severe. I'm really hungry now, so I'm going to see about some dry bread. I've also got a load of back pain, my fingers are crossed it's only food poisoning and not some other illness or infection creeping up on me.

Comment from: Kaitlyn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I ate 3 grapes from Kroger, I bought them and ate 3 of them. Then after 1 hour I started getting cramps in my stomach because of the food poisoning, then I went to go to the bathroom and I had diarrhea. Then I started puking. Then I went in my room and went to sleep. I had to go to the bathroom and do my business, but I didn't puke.

Comment from: Msgj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

My husband and I had take-out from a local restaurant. I ordered a chicken salad wrap and he had a beef gyro. We both had red wine, shared a small piece of turtle pie, and had an after-dinner drink. This was around 6 pm. At 2:30 am the next morning, I had to get up and use the bathroom (unusual for me). I didn't really feel any urgency, but I immediately had profuse, watery diarrhea. I had no nausea and no vomiting. I took some Imodium and I went to sleep on the couch after that in case I needed to make another run for it, but that was it. I had a bit of that lump-in-the-stomach feeling the next morning, but I waited a bit before eating breakfast, then had a little applesauce and toasted flatbread. I called our local health department that next day, and they called back to take my report on food poisoning. This is always a good idea if you suspect food-borne illness so that the restaurant can be notified and an investigation can be started. I kept the other half of the chicken salad wrap in case the health department needs it, but I was told they generally would not. It's well-labeled and hiding in the back of my fridge! I suspect I had a Campylobacter infection, and that possibly the alcohol helped negate some of the effects. Another reason to drink red wine! It's been almost 2 days and I still haven't had another bowel movement, but I feel fine and am now eating normally.

Comment from: Bj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I am still suffering 7 days after food poisoning with watery diarrhea, severe stomach cramps, and nausea now, but I was vomiting until I got medications to stop it. I was in the hospital on drips due to dehydration, etc., as I was going to the toilet every 5 minutes. I have shivers, sweating and constant leaking out my bottom so have to wear Tennant pants. It can last up to 90 days depending on which you have. Unluckily this is me, but usually people clear up between 2 to 4 days. I'm sorry you guys have suffered, I really can't take much more.

Food Poisoning - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Treatment Question: What was your treatment, including medication, for food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Home Remedies Question: Please provide home remedies you've used to treat symptoms related to food poisoning.