Patient Comments: Food Poisoning - Experience

Please describe your experience with food poisoning.

Comment from: bornplaydie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

I ate at a Thai restaurant. My wife and I shared 3 dishes. I ate mostly green chicken curry but she had some too. After 2 hours my food poisoning symptoms hit me strong; sudden nausea with mild abdominal cramping and sweating. I had to stop what I was doing. I initially fought off the urge to vomit. I couldn't lie down. I knelt still at the foot of my bed with my head on the bed. I had a sensation that I would soon have diarrhea, although at time of writing, I have not. Burping gave temporary relief. Another urge to vomit hit me. This time into the bathroom. The smell of the toilet pushed me over the edge and I tossed everything up. I immediately felt better, actually fine. The entire episode from onset of symptoms lasted 45 minutes.

Comment from: Brad, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

Let me just list the symptoms of food poisoning I had over 12 hours, 4 of which was in the washroom consecutively and felt unbearable. I had abdominal pain from the belly button down, the muscles there were tight as a rock; the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. I was moaning so loud my neighbors probably heard me. Then I had sweats followed by tremor like chills, nausea to the point I was almost vomiting, and acid like diarrhea repeated every 10 to 15 minutes.

Comment from: dutze, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 03

I ate a bagel with cream cheese at 12:30 that afternoon. At 5 pm it started. Severe stomach cramps, total body sweats, shakes and of course diarrhea (just water). Then both of my hands seized up and my chest was tight, I was freaking out! It lasted about 2 hours. The next day my whole stomach was still sore and I felt weak. I couldn't eat anything but kept up with the water.

Comment from: Judy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I have been having projectile diarrhea attacks for three days. Today it is letting up but I am still tired and going to the bathroom. I am not sure what started this food poisoning. I had a can of oranges recently. But also I cooked up some ground turkey that was older. I have had burping, stomach cramps, intestinal cramps, flatulence, and nausea. Watery stools persist, but much less often.

Comment from: TummyNotHappy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am still researching whether or not I have food poisoning or another flu ailment, but I felt perfectly fine when we started out on our road trip until after we stopped at a fast food restaurant and I ate a steak and egg burrito for breakfast. One hour later I felt car sick. Then more car sick. Then we arrived at our destination and I thought I would feel better, but I just got more car sick. My upper stomach was cramping and hurting and I felt extremely nauseous. I'm one of those people who will fight vomiting, but I probably would've felt better sooner if I had let it happen. I developed a low grade fever about 6 hours after breakfast and could not be close enough to a restroom because of the urgent diarrhea. My whole body ached so I thought it must be more than food poisoning. Then the headache started. I didn't take any medications for my symptoms. All body aches and fever gone after 18 hours. I haven't eaten in over 30 hours and my upper stomach still hurts. I did take Excedrin for the headache when I woke up the next day, and now all symptoms are gone except the upper tummy pain, and the watery diarrhea is persisting.

Comment from: Donny d, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

Due to food poisoning I have abdominal pain nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and then get chills. I also have belching, headache, weight loss, and knot in my throat.

Comment from: Ruth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I ate some barbacoa (lamb meat) and 2 hours later I started vomiting and having diarrhea. I probably had around 20 evacuations both ways and terrible long stomach cramps. I thought about going to the hospital but I couldn't stay away from the bathroom so I noticed that after a few hours the cramps became shorter and more time between each one so it became more bearable. Two days later and my stomach still hurts.

Food Poisoning - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Treatment Question: What was your treatment, including medication, for food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Home Remedies Question: Please provide home remedies you've used to treat symptoms related to food poisoning.