Patient Comments: Food Poisoning - Experience

Please describe your experience with food poisoning.

Comment from: Msgj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

My husband and I had take-out from a local restaurant. I ordered a chicken salad wrap and he had a beef gyro. We both had red wine, shared a small piece of turtle pie, and had an after-dinner drink. This was around 6 pm. At 2:30 am the next morning, I had to get up and use the bathroom (unusual for me). I didn't really feel any urgency, but I immediately had profuse, watery diarrhea. I had no nausea and no vomiting. I took some Imodium and I went to sleep on the couch after that in case I needed to make another run for it, but that was it. I had a bit of that lump-in-the-stomach feeling the next morning, but I waited a bit before eating breakfast, then had a little applesauce and toasted flatbread. I called our local health department that next day, and they called back to take my report on food poisoning. This is always a good idea if you suspect food-borne illness so that the restaurant can be notified and an investigation can be started. I kept the other half of the chicken salad wrap in case the health department needs it, but I was told they generally would not. It's well-labeled and hiding in the back of my fridge! I suspect I had a Campylobacter infection, and that possibly the alcohol helped negate some of the effects. Another reason to drink red wine! It's been almost 2 days and I still haven't had another bowel movement, but I feel fine and am now eating normally.

Comment from: Bj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I am still suffering 7 days after food poisoning with watery diarrhea, severe stomach cramps, and nausea now, but I was vomiting until I got medications to stop it. I was in the hospital on drips due to dehydration, etc., as I was going to the toilet every 5 minutes. I have shivers, sweating and constant leaking out my bottom so have to wear Tennant pants. It can last up to 90 days depending on which you have. Unluckily this is me, but usually people clear up between 2 to 4 days. I'm sorry you guys have suffered, I really can't take much more.

Comment from: Debra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I recently (12/15) had a ham sandwich with mayo and within 30 minutes I was cramping. The projectile vomiting didn't start till 7 that evening and the cold sweats and the hot chills. I have been on the BRAT diet for days and with that I haven't been able to regain my strength, I have no diarrhea. It has been 7 days and I finally broke down and had a dry burger and lost 13 lb. For sure I thought it was the flu because coworkers were also getting sick. I'm going with food poisoning.

Comment from: Kendra, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 18

My daughter came home from school and microwaved a frozen breakfast burrito with egg sausage and cheese at 4:00 pm. My daughter woke up vomiting at 4:30 am, 5:30 and 6:30 on the day of her high school finals. She was cold and clammy with lower abdominal pain, asked for stomach medicines and a ride to school, then vomited again at 7:30 in the car. Finals to wait until after holidays. For the rest we shall wait and see.

Comment from: bornplaydie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

I ate at a Thai restaurant. My wife and I shared 3 dishes. I ate mostly green chicken curry but she had some too. After 2 hours my food poisoning symptoms hit me strong; sudden nausea with mild abdominal cramping and sweating. I had to stop what I was doing. I initially fought off the urge to vomit. I couldn't lie down. I knelt still at the foot of my bed with my head on the bed. I had a sensation that I would soon have diarrhea, although at time of writing, I have not. Burping gave temporary relief. Another urge to vomit hit me. This time into the bathroom. The smell of the toilet pushed me over the edge and I tossed everything up. I immediately felt better, actually fine. The entire episode from onset of symptoms lasted 45 minutes.

Comment from: Brad, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

Let me just list the symptoms of food poisoning I had over 12 hours, 4 of which was in the washroom consecutively and felt unbearable. I had abdominal pain from the belly button down, the muscles there were tight as a rock; the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. I was moaning so loud my neighbors probably heard me. Then I had sweats followed by tremor like chills, nausea to the point I was almost vomiting, and acid like diarrhea repeated every 10 to 15 minutes.

Food Poisoning - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Treatment Question: What was your treatment, including medication, for food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Home Remedies Question: Please provide home remedies you've used to treat symptoms related to food poisoning.