Patient Comments: Food Poisoning - Experience

Please describe your experience with food poisoning.

Comment from: sick, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

Husband and I went out to dinner last night and both had water, and an appetizer: steak and shrimp kabobs. I am 6 months pregnant and felt uncomfortable and too full on the way home, despite having eaten lightly. When we arrived home I laid down hoping it would pass but it continued to get worse with waves of nausea until I violently threw up 2 hours after eating. After that I began to have moderate to severe stomach pains and nausea, throwing up numerous times all through the night. At around 4 am my husband's stomach began to hurt badly and he began throwing up. This morning we are both still unable to get any sleep and we are in a lot of pain. I have stopped throwing up but my husband is still very ill. We still haven't managed to eat anything.

Comment from: Matthew, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

Three days ago I went to a popular chain restaurant with my fiance and best friend. We all ate the appetizer and dessert but had different entrees. I was very full from eating so much. I figured the stomach discomfort was from over-eating. The pain got worse about an hour after eating and nausea set in quickly. That night I was vomiting and had severe watery diarrhea. I managed to get a little sleep but the next day I was weak, my muscles ached terribly, and drinking or eating anything was difficult. I managed to eat 2 small bowls of soup and some crackers. My stomach also seemed a bit bloated considering how little I consumed during this ordeal, but I'm unsure if it's an actual symptom. All symptoms endured: Vomiting, diarrhea, low-grade fever, leg muscle aches, lower back pain, constant nausea. Even 3 days later I still have slight nausea causing my appetite to drop drastically.

Comment from: Bad Sushi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had some sushi (eel) last night. It was my first time trying it from this particular restaurant. When I came home I was fine, but when I woke up I was achy, and had the chills with runny diarrhea. I got up to use the restroom about 3-4 times that early morning. I have absolutely NO desire to eat, but am forcing myself to eat crackers and drink plenty of fluids.

Comment from: Lana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I am a teacher in South Korea. I went on a trip with my school, the dinner was raw fish. I didn't want to eat it as it doesn't appeal to me, but I ate a few pieces out of politeness. The next day I woke up feeling nauseated and weak. I went to school anyway and had some breakfast. Still felt odd. Went at lunch and was violently ill, so I called and said I couldn't go back to work. I spent the rest of the day lying on the couch shivering and going to the bathroom to get sick. Luckily my Korean friend came over with medicine because I wasn't even able to walk up the road a few metres to the shop. I am feeling a bit better today, but my back hurts and I don't feel like eating much. Another teacher who went on the trip is also sick. I will never eat raw fish again.

Comment from: hot mama, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 22

My boyfriend ate crab legs after they sat out all night and thawed... He boiled them this morning and has been sick ever since. His fever is increasing and has been in bed all day. I also believe they were in the freezer too long before he decided to eat them. Buy seafood and prepare to eat it within a couple days. Hope he gets better soon and we don't have to take him to the emergency room!!!

Comment from: sara, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 19

My 5 kids ate hot dogs that I had purchased at a Wal-Mart, 5 nights ago. The next morning they were all throwing up at the same time, yellow watery stool, and severe stomach pains. By that night they woke up wanting to eat, so I gave them toast. The next morning all was fine. Last night, 4 nights later 2 of the kids started complaining of stomach pain and of course threw up again. They are still having trouble today. As of so far me and my husband have not been affected yet, but we did not eat the hot dogs.

Comment from: Gina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

Went out to eat and I had chicken dumpling. After getting home about an hour later my stomach started hurting and so did my granddaughter's. We then starting vomiting violently and then had diarrhea. We had chills but no fever. I have been sick for 2days and still can't eat. I'm just sipping on Sprite and I have had a few crackers, but my stomach is cramping and my insides feel so sore.

Food Poisoning - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Treatment Question: What was your treatment, including medication, for food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Home Remedies Question: Please provide home remedies you've used to treat symptoms related to food poisoning.