Patient Comments: Food Poisoning - Experience

Please describe your experience with food poisoning.

Comment from: nevreatthatcrapagain, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I ate some Vietnamese soup (called Pho), worse yet I brought it home to my wife and toddlers-thank goodness the toddlers ate very little of it. I had a bowl, as did my wife. One toddler got ill a day after eating this junk, and we got ill 2 days after eating it. One Toddler had vomiting, diarrhea, and fever. All dissipated mostly within a day. The other toddler didn't have a fever, but vomited, and some mild diarrhea. He only ate a couple tablespoons of the stuff (smart kid). My wife and I got it almost simultaneously. We had projectile vomiting and diarrhea. My wife got a fever, (102) and went to the hospital, came back and second night got a fever again, went back to the hospital becauseshe had it bad. I didn't get a fever, but I am home bound for the second day, exhausted and recovering. People who sell crap like this should face criminal charges. Again I'm so grateful our toddlers didn't eat more. Where are all the health inspectors? Seriously places that sell this crap should be closed down before someone becomes seriously ill or worse. Interestingly the doctors told my wife that they see a lot of cases of food poisoning from oriental restaurants.

Comment from: Sick, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

My wife and I ate a pizza from a fast food pizza place on Friday. We started vomiting early Saturday. It continued for three days. We had stomach pain and nausea for four more days. She lost 11 pounds; I lost 18 pounds. We are both 70, and are just finally eating solid food seven days after the pizza. We had crushed ice, sips of cold water, and Gatorade during those six days. We stayed in bed most of the time. Not a pleasant experience.

Comment from: dar, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I went to a family gathering with about 77 people in attendance. At first, I felt full, even though I didn't eat that much. I walked a bit and felt faint, so as I was starting to sit down, I fainted. One of the people at the gathering happened to be an emergency medical technician (EMT), so they took my blood pressure, which was low. I felt sick and had “instant diarrhea.” I went straight to the ER because my stomach hurt; I was nauseous, and gagging. At the hospital I was given something for my nausea, which helped. The next day wasn't too bad. Two days after the incident I tried some oatmeal – and wham – there it was again. Now I'm afraid to eat, with all of the gagging and diarrhea I had yesterday.

Comment from: sick, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

Husband and I went out to dinner last night and both had water, and an appetizer: steak and shrimp kabobs. I am 6 months pregnant and felt uncomfortable and too full on the way home, despite having eaten lightly. When we arrived home I laid down hoping it would pass but it continued to get worse with waves of nausea until I violently threw up 2 hours after eating. After that I began to have moderate to severe stomach pains and nausea, throwing up numerous times all through the night. At around 4 am my husband's stomach began to hurt badly and he began throwing up. This morning we are both still unable to get any sleep and we are in a lot of pain. I have stopped throwing up but my husband is still very ill. We still haven't managed to eat anything.

Comment from: Matthew, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

Three days ago I went to a popular chain restaurant with my fiance and best friend. We all ate the appetizer and dessert but had different entrees. I was very full from eating so much. I figured the stomach discomfort was from over-eating. The pain got worse about an hour after eating and nausea set in quickly. That night I was vomiting and had severe watery diarrhea. I managed to get a little sleep but the next day I was weak, my muscles ached terribly, and drinking or eating anything was difficult. I managed to eat 2 small bowls of soup and some crackers. My stomach also seemed a bit bloated considering how little I consumed during this ordeal, but I'm unsure if it's an actual symptom. All symptoms endured: Vomiting, diarrhea, low-grade fever, leg muscle aches, lower back pain, constant nausea. Even 3 days later I still have slight nausea causing my appetite to drop drastically.

Comment from: Bad Sushi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had some sushi (eel) last night. It was my first time trying it from this particular restaurant. When I came home I was fine, but when I woke up I was achy, and had the chills with runny diarrhea. I got up to use the restroom about 3-4 times that early morning. I have absolutely NO desire to eat, but am forcing myself to eat crackers and drink plenty of fluids.

Food Poisoning - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Treatment Question: What was your treatment, including medication, for food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Home Remedies Question: Please provide home remedies you've used to treat symptoms related to food poisoning.