Patient Comments: Food Poisoning - Treatment

What was your treatment, including medication, for food poisoning?

Comment from: Javier, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I woke up feeling warm but not sick. I was having breakfast and tried to pick up a piece of bread from the carpet and I felt dizzy and chills begun immediately. After that, my body was cold and I couldn"t warm up. I started vomiting violently all morning with very strong dizziness right before vomiting, almost as when you"re drunk, really bad. No fever until late at night and it was very mild, no diarrhea though. All that I can think of is a piece of fish I had for dinner the night before that I don"t think was cooked properly.

Comment from: Tarantulady, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had Tigan (trimethobenzamide) injection, followed by 300mg oral. It stopped the vomiting instantly, but man, does your butt (injection site) hurt! I don't drive if I take the Tigan because I am high. Once vomiting has ended, remember to drink tons of water or you could get stuck with an IV.

Comment from: Carrie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I felt very full all afternoon but forced myself to eat a small piece of pizza. Later I felt worse so my husband made me take some Pepto-Bismol and the flood gates unleashed, I had severe vomiting for about 6 hours. Much later I was able to keep down a Popsicle. At least I didn't get diarrhea!

Comment from: Linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I went to the urgent care after five days of diarrhea, cramps, bloating, and fever. While waiting for stool test results, I was given Cipro for bacterial infection, but it started again a few days later. So I will probably have to go back for Flagyl for a parasitic infection.

Comment from: Lotsof love, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I was given Lomotil for diarrhea for two days and antibiotics for three days. After three days I am still in bed with loss of appetite. If I make myself drink a soy protein smoothie it just goes through me. On third day still have periodic headache. I am drinking Pedialyte to prevent dehydration. I am very weak and 1,000 miles from home. Have to catch a plane tomorrow.

Food Poisoning - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your food poisoning?
Food Poisoning - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with food poisoning.
Food Poisoning - Home Remedies Question: Please provide home remedies you've used to treat symptoms related to food poisoning.