Patient Comments: Food Allergy - Symptoms and Signs

What are the symptoms and signs of your food allergy?

Comment from: Paula, Published: May 28

I had a heart attack. It started with a couple of days of off-and-on chest pain right in the center of chest. So I thought it was heartburn. I talked myself into thinking that for two days. On the third day I told myself if this kept up I had better go see a doctor. So I went all day with chest pains off and on. I was up watching TV at 3:00 am thinking my chest was hurting more than earlier in the day. So I tried to lie down when I felt this very bad pain in my chest, very tight feeling which then traveled up to my jaw. I also felt sweaty and sick. So I woke my husband and had him call 911. The paramedics were at my house very quickly, started an IV, and got my pain under control. I had 90 percent blockage and a stent was put in. My advice is, if you have chest pain go to hospital or call 911. I'm doing well now on maintenance medicine.

Comment from: wendy, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 11

I seem to have trouble eating many types of fruits and vegetables together. For instance I made myself a 'green' drink, containing lettuce, cabbage, cucumber, a pear, also some ginger. I blended this together and drank it. Within half an hour I felt my face burning and my stomach was hurting and I felt very nauseous. Eventually about 2 hours later I did feel much better, however that evening I experienced extreme itching on my inner wrists, ankles and ribcage.

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Male Published: August 17

I am a 49 yr old male. I have experienced food allergies for the past 10 years. I am allergic to certain breads, rice and regular milk (including cheese). I will get a stuffy nose, which interrupts my sleep at night. I take ibuprofen, which helps as an 'anti-inflammatory' to open my sinus passage to breath better for sleeping. I'm alright if I consume these things during mid day, so by night time it will wear off, but I can't later on during dinner. I have been using lactaid milk for eating cereal, which I am able to tolerate.

Comment from: TiffanyAC, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 03

Symptoms vary depending on the allergen. Some foods have caused anaphylactic reactions, while others have caused severe stomach pain or pressure in the ears.

Comment from: Codger Bear, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I am a 67 year old male. When I eat soy, I get hoarseness, bladder irritation and bloating. It was real hard for me to figure out the cause, because soy ingredients are present in most processed foods. Restaurants tend to have almost nothing that doesn't contain a soy ingredient.

Comment from: itchyskin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I am 40 years old and have terribly itchy skin problems, which is known as hives. I can say that I'm allergic to tuna, shrimp, laundry detergent, heat, and water. The doctor gave me a special cream that I applied to the itchy red bumps. It didn't disappear easily and the rash seemed to multiply. Anyhow, just try to avoid all the things that might trigger skin allergies. Use lotion or moisturizer that has oatmeal in it and take an antihistamine as a simple prevention.

Comment from: mickey66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I am a 45 year old woman and I have had a tree nut allergy since I was 8 years old. It started with swelling in my mouth and lips and tingling. Over the years the symptoms have gotten worse and it now affects my throat and my esophagus has spasms and restricts swallowing. At the age of 35 I developed an oral allergy to pineapple; symptoms are itchy mouth and lips. My daughter has many more food allergies than I have, she has peanut, tree nuts, apple, other fruits and meats. She was tested for allergies and none of these came back positive, there is no explanation why.

Food Allergy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a food allergy.
Food Allergy - Allergy Shots Question: Please discuss your experience with allergy shots in preventing or decreasing food allergies.
Food Allergy - Common Foods Question: What foods are you allergic to? Please share what happens when you eat the food and how you avoid it.
Food Allergy - Testing and Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to a food allergy diagnosis?
Food Allergy - Treatment Question: Do you receive medical treatment for your food allergy, or do you avoid the food? Please discuss your experience.