Patient Comments: Food Allergy - Symptoms and Signs

What are the symptoms and signs of your food allergy?

Comment from: Anon., Published: August 29

For years I have been on, off or switching statins because of muscle pain. Most recently, I was prescribed pravastatin 10 mg which was eventually increased to 40 mg for my familial hypercholesterolemia. It's an older drug and took a while to cause the same old problems. This May, I had such severe muscle pain in my hamstrings and thighs that I asked my primary care physician for a CK (creatine kinase) test and stopped the statins. My CK levels were only 700s so I can't imagine what other people's pain would be like, because mine was debilitating. I was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis immediately but the findings were inconclusive as I did not have kidney issues. I still cannot sit on a wooden or metal chair without a pillow. I am only without pain when I stand up. I continue to drink 15 glasses of water daily because the pain increases when I don't. The fatigue is terrible requiring naps. I am in physical therapy but because I have mobility, the therapist told me to go to a gym and get pain management and that there was little she could do. I am disgusted with her but will continue therapy as prescribed because the muscle atrophy is unacceptable for my age level. Be careful with statins and weigh your health options. The cardiologist is giving me 6 months to heal but in November I will need to try an injectable statin as the cholesterol levels are dangerously high.

Comment from: zouhair, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

Couple days ago I was stung by a scorpion in the middle of nowhere. I was in a fishing trip with a friend. It was scary but luckily I found a guy there who had been stung about 20 times. He tied my hand, made a small cut, and sucked the blood off it. He told it will burn awfully and I may have some climate change in my body, like feeling the rain and snow and sometimes feeling so hot. It did but my hand stayed numb for 14 hours. I didn't go to the hospital.

Comment from: Samuel, Published: April 19

I started having nose bleeding when I was 10 years old and continued till I was 21 years old. My father too does have nose bleeding. It takes between 10 and 15 minutes and there is no pain; my dad just asks me to hold back my head, and then it will stop. I started having nose bleeding again about two years ago. Any time I carry heavy load with my left hand it will bleed just for a moment and clog without pain.

Comment from: Patspix, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I was diagnosed with first with Salmonella typhi. They are double checking the results on the Washington State level. We are waiting to hear the results on that. My attending doctor at the hospital last week, found the results of Salmonella typhi. The county health inspector says I have Salmonella para typhi. All I know is I keep a food diary of what when, and where I eat. According to my diary, and the incubation period, it points to a Chinese restaurant where I ate a beef and broccoli. The owner/cook at that cafe took a recent trip to China and back. I believe that is the culprit. According to our County Health Department there is nothing we can do. So that is my story. I spent five days in the hospital and almost died. First symptoms were; head ache, achy joints, and constipation and low grade fever. At the emergency room that evening, I started diarrhea and didn't stop until the doctor finally diagnosed Salmonella typhi and put me on antibiotics and I got better enough to go home Saturday. We are waiting for the states redoubling tests results and was told they won't tell me the results! So next week we will call the visiting the doctor and hope he can get answers so they can stop this restaurant and carrier before they kill someone! I ate at the suspect restaurant on 2/1/16.

Comment from: Paula, Published: May 28

I had a heart attack. It started with a couple of days of off-and-on chest pain right in the center of chest. So I thought it was heartburn. I talked myself into thinking that for two days. On the third day I told myself if this kept up I had better go see a doctor. So I went all day with chest pains off and on. I was up watching TV at 3:00 am thinking my chest was hurting more than earlier in the day. So I tried to lie down when I felt this very bad pain in my chest, very tight feeling which then traveled up to my jaw. I also felt sweaty and sick. So I woke my husband and had him call 911. The paramedics were at my house very quickly, started an IV, and got my pain under control. I had 90 percent blockage and a stent was put in. My advice is, if you have chest pain go to hospital or call 911. I'm doing well now on maintenance medicine.

Food Allergy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a food allergy.
Food Allergy - Allergy Shots Question: Please discuss your experience with allergy shots in preventing or decreasing food allergies.
Food Allergy - Common Foods Question: What foods are you allergic to? Please share what happens when you eat the food and how you avoid it.
Food Allergy - Testing and Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to a food allergy diagnosis?
Food Allergy - Treatment Question: Do you receive medical treatment for your food allergy, or do you avoid the food? Please discuss your experience.