Patient Comments: Food Allergy - Symptoms and Signs

What are the symptoms and signs of your food allergy?

Comment from: Samuel, Published: April 19

I started having nose bleeding when I was 10 years old and continued till I was 21 years old. My father too does have nose bleeding. It takes between 10 and 15 minutes and there is no pain; my dad just asks me to hold back my head, and then it will stop. I started having nose bleeding again about two years ago. Any time I carry heavy load with my left hand it will bleed just for a moment and clog without pain.

Comment from: Patspix, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I was diagnosed with first with Salmonella typhi. They are double checking the results on the Washington State level. We are waiting to hear the results on that. My attending doctor at the hospital last week, found the results of Salmonella typhi. The county health inspector says I have Salmonella para typhi. All I know is I keep a food diary of what when, and where I eat. According to my diary, and the incubation period, it points to a Chinese restaurant where I ate a beef and broccoli. The owner/cook at that cafe took a recent trip to China and back. I believe that is the culprit. According to our County Health Department there is nothing we can do. So that is my story. I spent five days in the hospital and almost died. First symptoms were; head ache, achy joints, and constipation and low grade fever. At the emergency room that evening, I started diarrhea and didn't stop until the doctor finally diagnosed Salmonella typhi and put me on antibiotics and I got better enough to go home Saturday. We are waiting for the states redoubling tests results and was told they won't tell me the results! So next week we will call the visiting the doctor and hope he can get answers so they can stop this restaurant and carrier before they kill someone! I ate at the suspect restaurant on 2/1/16.

Comment from: Paula, Published: May 28

I had a heart attack. It started with a couple of days of off-and-on chest pain right in the center of chest. So I thought it was heartburn. I talked myself into thinking that for two days. On the third day I told myself if this kept up I had better go see a doctor. So I went all day with chest pains off and on. I was up watching TV at 3:00 am thinking my chest was hurting more than earlier in the day. So I tried to lie down when I felt this very bad pain in my chest, very tight feeling which then traveled up to my jaw. I also felt sweaty and sick. So I woke my husband and had him call 911. The paramedics were at my house very quickly, started an IV, and got my pain under control. I had 90 percent blockage and a stent was put in. My advice is, if you have chest pain go to hospital or call 911. I'm doing well now on maintenance medicine.

Comment from: wendy, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 11

I seem to have trouble eating many types of fruits and vegetables together. For instance I made myself a 'green' drink, containing lettuce, cabbage, cucumber, a pear, also some ginger. I blended this together and drank it. Within half an hour I felt my face burning and my stomach was hurting and I felt very nauseous. Eventually about 2 hours later I did feel much better, however that evening I experienced extreme itching on my inner wrists, ankles and ribcage.

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Male Published: August 17

I am a 49 yr old male. I have experienced food allergies for the past 10 years. I am allergic to certain breads, rice and regular milk (including cheese). I will get a stuffy nose, which interrupts my sleep at night. I take ibuprofen, which helps as an 'anti-inflammatory' to open my sinus passage to breath better for sleeping. I'm alright if I consume these things during mid day, so by night time it will wear off, but I can't later on during dinner. I have been using lactaid milk for eating cereal, which I am able to tolerate.

Comment from: TiffanyAC, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 03

Symptoms vary depending on the allergen. Some foods have caused anaphylactic reactions, while others have caused severe stomach pain or pressure in the ears.

Food Allergy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a food allergy.
Food Allergy - Allergy Shots Question: Please discuss your experience with allergy shots in preventing or decreasing food allergies.
Food Allergy - Common Foods Question: What foods are you allergic to? Please share what happens when you eat the food and how you avoid it.
Food Allergy - Testing and Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to a food allergy diagnosis?
Food Allergy - Treatment Question: Do you receive medical treatment for your food allergy, or do you avoid the food? Please discuss your experience.