Patient Comments: Food Allergy - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your food allergy?

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Male Published: August 17

I am a 49 yr old male. I have experienced food allergies for the past 10 years. I am allergic to certain breads, rice and regular milk (including cheese). I will get a stuffy nose, which interrupts my sleep at night. I take ibuprofen, which helps as an 'anti-inflammatory' to open my sinus passage to breath better for sleeping. I'm alright if I consume these things during mid day, so by night time it will wear off, but I can't later on during dinner. I have been using lactaid milk for eating cereal, which I am able to tolerate.

Comment from: TiffanyAC, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 03

Symptoms vary depending on the allergen. Some foods have caused anaphylactic reactions, while others have caused severe stomach pain or pressure in the ears.

Comment from: Codger Bear, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I am a 67 year old male. When I eat soy, I get hoarseness, bladder irritation and bloating. It was real hard for me to figure out the cause, because soy ingredients are present in most processed foods. Restaurants tend to have almost nothing that doesn't contain a soy ingredient.

Comment from: mickey66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I am a 45 year old woman and I have had a tree nut allergy since I was 8 years old. It started with swelling in my mouth and lips and tingling. Over the years the symptoms have gotten worse and it now affects my throat and my esophagus has spasms and restricts swallowing. At the age of 35 I developed an oral allergy to pineapple; symptoms are itchy mouth and lips. My daughter has many more food allergies than I have, she has peanut, tree nuts, apple, other fruits and meats. She was tested for allergies and none of these came back positive, there is no explanation why.

Published: June 02

I am a 46-year-old woman, and twice in the last two months I have experienced a pretty major reaction to something, and I don't know what it is. Both times it began with my palms of my hand and the bottom of my feet itching terribly. The first time, I became violently ill. I experienced both vomiting and diarrhea, then my skin turned bright red and burned just like I had a sunburn. I was shaky, and my heart was racing. The second time, it began the same way although this time I didn't throw up, I just felt horrible with a racing heart. The first time, I took Benadryl and although I was stuck in bed for a day, the redness went away. This time the Benadryl didn't work right away, and the next day my hands and feet were swollen.

Comment from: itchyskin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I am 40 years old and have terribly itchy skin problems, which is known as hives. I can say that I'm allergic to tuna, shrimp, laundry detergent, heat, and water. The doctor gave me a special cream that I applied to the itchy red bumps. It didn't disappear easily and the rash seemed to multiply. Anyhow, just try to avoid all the things that might trigger skin allergies. Use lotion or moisturizer that has oatmeal in it and take an antihistamine as a simple prevention.

Comment from: Bonnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I can't eat any dairy product, if I do I get a sinus infection, sore throat, swollen glands, and a terrible headache. I have to go on antibiotics to get any relief.

Food Allergy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with food allergy.
Food Allergy - Allergy Shots Question: Please discuss your experience with allergy shots in preventing or decreasing food allergies.
Food Allergy - Common Foods Question: What foods are you allergic to? Please share what happens when you eat the food and how you avoid it.
Food Allergy - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to a food allergy diagnosis?
Food Allergy - Treatment Question: Do you receive medical treatment for your food allergy or do you avoid the food? Please discuss your experience.