Patient Comments: Food Allergy - Symptoms and Signs

What are the symptoms and signs of your food allergy?

Comment from: dvshdee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

As soon as I swallow something with an allergen in it, my throat starts to itch and then sort of feels numb. Have been able to keep throat open to get benadryl in with ice. Most of the time I am able to feel the sensation on my tongue as soon as I begin chewing. If I do end up ingesting a trigger, I get sort of a drugged feeling for about an hour, and then will present with hives from head to toe. Palms and soles of feet itch the worst!

Comment from: Kholo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I started swelling and developing acne that formed round paths like ringworms, itching and irritating. i had them on fingers and elbows. I went to the doctor he said its allergy but he couldn't tell me what type. So he gave me antibiotics and cream and within 3 days they disappeared. So they back again. I can't figure out if is food allergy or not. No family history of allergy.

Comment from: Joanne, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 30

My son is 10 and just started to show signs of a food allergy. We can't figure out what it is from. He gets itchy under the chin and tight in his throat. We give him an Pro-Air HFA treatment and in abut 20 min. it seems to calm things down. When it happens, we check the ingredients. In the past, he has been affected by artificial lemon, store bought mashed potatoes(Bob Evans), microwavable mac and cheese(Hormel). We think it must be some kind of preservative but we can't figure it out.

Comment from: Headache, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

The allergic reaction I am having to food is in the scalp. If I eat diary, foods made out of wheat, sugars, processed foods, almost all fruits, and caffeine; my scalp will hurt and sometimes bumps will appear, and it will itch very badly and it also causes hair loss. I can eat all meat, all green foods and some nuts and some beans without an allergic reaction. I can also eat sourer dough bread.

Comment from: beachbaby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

After eating scallops one evening the following day (not same night) I was having a hard time breathing and tightness in my chest. Also severe sweats. I went to the hospital thinking something was very wrong but was told it was only anxiety and was released. A few days later I ate one of the leftover scallops and the same symptoms appeared. They were from a restaurant so I don't know what they cooked them in.

Comment from: veronicamz5, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have passed out 4 times. My doctor put a heart monitor under my skin. Now they say it's food allergies to pork, beef, and lamb.

Comment from: CCCC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

After eating ketchup or some processed sauces (including spaghetti sauce), my stomach will produce large amounts of acid, and I vomit. My nose runs, my eyes water, my insides are upset, and my whole body hurts. Benadryl, Prilosec, TUMS and pain medication will help, but it takes about an hour to start working. Other foods I've had problems with: Nitrates/Nitrites (lunch meats, bacon, etc) MSG plus all of it's other names Bell Peppers Melons Sulfites, plus vegetables treated with them (I avoid salad bars because of this)

Comment from: acid, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I cannot tolerate acids as I have food allergies with citrus and vinegar, sometimes tomatoes. I have dry mouth and use a mild mouth wash several times a day.

Food Allergy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a food allergy.
Food Allergy - Allergy Shots Question: Please discuss your experience with allergy shots in preventing or decreasing food allergies.
Food Allergy - Common Foods Question: What foods are you allergic to? Please share what happens when you eat the food and how you avoid it.
Food Allergy - Testing and Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to a food allergy diagnosis?
Food Allergy - Treatment Question: Do you receive medical treatment for your food allergy, or do you avoid the food? Please discuss your experience.