Patient Comments: Food Allergy - Symptoms and Signs

What are the symptoms and signs of your food allergy?

Comment from: Codger Bear, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I am a 67 year old male. When I eat soy, I get hoarseness, bladder irritation and bloating. It was real hard for me to figure out the cause, because soy ingredients are present in most processed foods. Restaurants tend to have almost nothing that doesn't contain a soy ingredient.

Comment from: mickey66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I am a 45 year old woman and I have had a tree nut allergy since I was 8 years old. It started with swelling in my mouth and lips and tingling. Over the years the symptoms have gotten worse and it now affects my throat and my esophagus has spasms and restricts swallowing. At the age of 35 I developed an oral allergy to pineapple; symptoms are itchy mouth and lips. My daughter has many more food allergies than I have, she has peanut, tree nuts, apple, other fruits and meats. She was tested for allergies and none of these came back positive, there is no explanation why.

Comment from: itchyskin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I am 40 years old and have terribly itchy skin problems, which is known as hives. I can say that I'm allergic to tuna, shrimp, laundry detergent, heat, and water. The doctor gave me a special cream that I applied to the itchy red bumps. It didn't disappear easily and the rash seemed to multiply. Anyhow, just try to avoid all the things that might trigger skin allergies. Use lotion or moisturizer that has oatmeal in it and take an antihistamine as a simple prevention.

Comment from: Nanbey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

Since I was in my late tweens I have suffered from what I later felt was exercise induced allergy. I would exercise and begin to feel tingling in my face, my hands would swell and it felt like food was stuck in my throat. I would stop and the symptoms would go away after 20-30 minutes. About an hour later I would get the chills and shiver uncontrollably for 10-20 minutes. I had no idea about the Oral allergy syndrome. Once all I did was go for a short walk to the store and my symptoms got so bad that I had the feeling of helplessness. It is a good thing that two concerned ladies stopped to help me and drove me home. I ended up throwing up 5 minutes later.

Comment from: wealitah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I am 19 years old and am allergic to chocolate, wheat, fish, colouring and coconut. Anytime I eat these things especially wheat and chocolate I get something like ringworm on my skin, or I get high fever which can lead to me having a seizure.

Comment from: Sarah, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Spices cause severe stomachache, diarrhea, itching. Pork, nuts, and especially sunflower seeds cause severe swelling in the throat with difficulty to breathe, vomiting, and a running stomach.

Comment from: Hyegirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

About 1 1/2 hours after I had a poppy seed bread (made from an ethnic bakery) with a very high concentration of poppy seeds, I began to have a severe headache, disorientation, and vomiting. That allergic reaction lasted 6 hours, but took the rest of the evening before I began to feel better.

Comment from: jerry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

My allergist says that some of my allergies are so severe, that it causes my imbalance.

Food Allergy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a food allergy.
Food Allergy - Allergy Shots Question: Please discuss your experience with allergy shots in preventing or decreasing food allergies.
Food Allergy - Common Foods Question: What foods are you allergic to? Please share what happens when you eat the food and how you avoid it.
Food Allergy - Testing and Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to a food allergy diagnosis?
Food Allergy - Treatment Question: Do you receive medical treatment for your food allergy, or do you avoid the food? Please discuss your experience.