Patient Comments: Food Allergy - Symptoms

What are the symptoms of your food allergy?

Comment from: Nanbey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

Since I was in my late tweens I have suffered from what I later felt was exercise induced allergy. I would exercise and begin to feel tingling in my face, my hands would swell and it felt like food was stuck in my throat. I would stop and the symptoms would go away after 20-30 minutes. About an hour later I would get the chills and shiver uncontrollably for 10-20 minutes. I had no idea about the Oral allergy syndrome. Once all I did was go for a short walk to the store and my symptoms got so bad that I had the feeling of helplessness. It is a good thing that two concerned ladies stopped to help me and drove me home. I ended up throwing up 5 minutes later.

Comment from: wealitah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I am 19 years old and am allergic to chocolate, wheat, fish, colouring and coconut. Anytime I eat these things especially wheat and chocolate I get something like ringworm on my skin, or I get high fever which can lead to me having a seizure.

Comment from: Sarah, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Spices cause severe stomachache, diarrhea, itching. Pork, nuts, and especially sunflower seeds cause severe swelling in the throat with difficulty to breathe, vomiting, and a running stomach.

Published: October 20

I developed over eighty or more food allergies and airborne out of nowhere. My eyes swell horribly nothing seems to help. I have lost seventeen pounds, and doctors are not really helping me.

Comment from: Hyegirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

About 1 1/2 hours after I had a poppy seed bread (made from an ethnic bakery) with a very high concentration of poppy seeds, I began to have a severe headache, disorientation, and vomiting. That allergic reaction lasted 6 hours, but took the rest of the evening before I began to feel better.

Comment from: jerry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

My allergist says that some of my allergies are so severe, that it causes my imbalance.

Comment from: rkml, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I'm a 47 years old female, I'm experiencing itchy and small bumps. I think it might be talipia (fish). I ate it for many years a nothing ever happen. I spoke to the pharmacist and she said even though I never had an allergy problem before it can start later in life. I plan on stop eating the fish and monitor my skin. It's mainly on both arms, inner knees, and small areas on my stomach.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I am a 43 year old male, just starting to get food allergy reactions to my lips and just above my lips and below my nose area. There is no pattern, but the frequency is starting to increase. I notice the reaction starts about an hour after breakfast (I typically eat cereal), and sometimes at night. Just tonight I had a reaction (I ate shrimp and grilled chicken at Chili's). Willing to bet it was the shrimp. My lips stay swollen for about 24 hours. Benadryl doesn't seem to help much. I am also a public performer and I'm getting nervous of this happening in front of a group of people.

Comment from: dvshdee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

As soon as I swallow something with an allergen in it, my throat starts to itch and then sort of feels numb. Have been able to keep throat open to get benadryl in with ice. Most of the time I am able to feel the sensation on my tongue as soon as I begin chewing. If I do end up ingesting a trigger, I get sort of a drugged feeling for about an hour, and then will present with hives from head to toe. Palms and soles of feet itch the worst!

Food Allergy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with food allergy.
Food Allergy - Allergy Shots Question: Please discuss your experience with allergy shots in preventing or decreasing food allergies.
Food Allergy - Common Foods Question: What foods are you allergic to? Please share what happens when you eat the food and how you avoid it.
Food Allergy - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to a food allergy diagnosis?
Food Allergy - Treatment Question: Do you receive medical treatment for your food allergy or do you avoid the food? Please discuss your experience.