Patient Comments: Food Allergy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a food allergy.

Comment from: vinegar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

Today I went to a favorite restaurant known for their fried fish and chicken. I ate it for lunch and then some for dinner. After about an hour, I started itching all over my body, face included. I took a hot shower and felt much better and then ate another wing and the itching started again. This has never happened to me before and I am wondering if it was the type of grease they use to cook their food. I have eaten from their restaurant for years and never had this reaction. This is so weird. I don't keep cooking grease in my house but I know I have also eaten foods from all kinds of cooking grease. I know allergies can just pop up on you one day and I am wondering if this is one of them. I took Benadryl and I am still itching a little but it has calmed down some. I used Braggs apple cider vinegar in a spray mist bottle mixed with water and spritzed my body with it also.

Comment from: 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My son developed some food allergy of late. He is five years old and his symptom is that his mouth and cheeks swell whenever it is triggered. But I have noticed that the symptoms can be seen only when he wakes up in the morning.

Comment from: pammy27573, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I wonder what could be causing my lips and my face to swell! Perhaps salt could be the cause! After I eat, maybe 5 hours later, my mouth and lips feel numb and then swell up a lot, as well as my jaw!

Comment from: Chichi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Over the last several years, I have noticed that I get bloated and my stomach hurts really badly as soon as spring starts. The pain goes away around August. I have never had allergies, as far as I can tell and I am wondering if I have developed any type of allergy to food or the environment as I am out more as soon as winter is over.

Comment from: Iowaguy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I developed an allergy to fish at the age of 32. Eating fish gives me hives, respiratory tightness, and difficulty breathing. I had eaten fish up to that age with absolutely no problems. To this day, I do not have any trouble with shellfish. After about two years of no fish whatsoever, I tested myself with salmon. Amazingly, I do not experience the allergic reaction with salmon. All other fish -- tuna, halibut, tilapia -- still give me an allergic reaction.

Comment from: laila, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have skin allergy. I get my allergy when I eat fish that I think is not fresh. Now it's very itchy.

Comment from: kentuckygal19, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am a 40 year old female. I have had seasonal allergies since I was 13 years old. I Did have allergy shots as a teenager and stopped shots at 19 years old. I had very few problems until I had my 1st child. I had a very bad asthma attack and had to start back on over the counter allergy medicines. In the next 10 years have had at least 10 sinus infections a year, so they started me back on allergy shots last year. January of this year I am still having lots of congestion, stomach problems, and ear problems they tested me for food allergies and I found out I am allergic to wheat, soy, cows milk, eggs, white potatoes, tomatoes, corn, mixed nuts, and peanuts. I have eliminated all these from my diet and wow what a difference in quality of life. I have spent hours relearning how to cook but I feel like a brand new person. I haven't wheezed once since I have begun avoiding these things. I do miss the foods a lot, but with food challenges have found the ones I absolutely can't have no matter what and ones I can enjoy once every little while with just a few liveable consequences.

Food Allergy - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are the symptoms and signs of your food allergy?
Food Allergy - Allergy Shots Question: Please discuss your experience with allergy shots in preventing or decreasing food allergies.
Food Allergy - Common Foods Question: What foods are you allergic to? Please share what happens when you eat the food and how you avoid it.
Food Allergy - Testing and Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to a food allergy diagnosis?
Food Allergy - Treatment Question: Do you receive medical treatment for your food allergy, or do you avoid the food? Please discuss your experience.