Patient Comments: Food Allergy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with food allergy.

Comment from: Chichi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Over the last several years, I have noticed that I get bloated and my stomach hurts really badly as soon as spring starts. The pain goes away around August. I have never had allergies, as far as I can tell and I am wondering if I have developed any type of allergy to food or the environment as I am out more as soon as winter is over.

Comment from: Iowaguy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I developed an allergy to fish at the age of 32. Eating fish gives me hives, respiratory tightness, and difficulty breathing. I had eaten fish up to that age with absolutely no problems. To this day, I do not have any trouble with shellfish. After about two years of no fish whatsoever, I tested myself with salmon. Amazingly, I do not experience the allergic reaction with salmon. All other fish -- tuna, halibut, tilapia -- still give me an allergic reaction.

Comment from: kentuckygal19, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am a 40 year old female. I have had seasonal allergies since I was 13 years old. I Did have allergy shots as a teenager and stopped shots at 19 years old. I had very few problems until I had my 1st child. I had a very bad asthma attack and had to start back on over the counter allergy medicines. In the next 10 years have had at least 10 sinus infections a year, so they started me back on allergy shots last year. January of this year I am still having lots of congestion, stomach problems, and ear problems they tested me for food allergies and I found out I am allergic to wheat, soy, cows milk, eggs, white potatoes, tomatoes, corn, mixed nuts, and peanuts. I have eliminated all these from my diet and wow what a difference in quality of life. I have spent hours relearning how to cook but I feel like a brand new person. I haven't wheezed once since I have begun avoiding these things. I do miss the foods a lot, but with food challenges have found the ones I absolutely can't have no matter what and ones I can enjoy once every little while with just a few liveable consequences.

Comment from: June, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I am a 49-year-old female who has had bouts of breaking out with hives for the past two years after eating shrimp. It has been infrequent and not really a life-adjusting problem. Recently, we ate at a Chinese restaurant and I had fried shrimp. An hour later, I went hiking and broke out with severe hives. I had swollen eyes, and my tongue swelled to the point of not being able to talk. I raced uphill one mile to get to the car and made it to a drugstore with my husband. The pharmacist gave me Benadryl and called the paramedics because I passed out. After waking, I was taken to the emergency room and given more meds to reduce the swelling. This was life-threatening. Now I carry an Epi-Pen with me at all times. The doctor said it could be fatal the next time.

Published: July 09

I have suffered from asthma since I was 13, as I have gotten older, I find that any dairy products and anything with oil like butter and mayo, frosting will set off my asthma as soon as it hits my mouth. I will feel a tingling and then start choking. I try extra hard to stay away from that stuff that never seemed to bother me before. I could drink lots of milk but now I only drink soy because milk makes me sick to my stomach and causes lots of stomach symptoms. I can no longer tolerate fried food either. This started about 5 years ago. I'm 41 now, can my body start rejecting other foods that I need? Is there something in all those foods that is a triggering agent?

Comment from: laila, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have skin allergy. I get my allergy when I eat fish that I think is not fresh. Now it's very itchy.

Comment from: Foodie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

My problem is intermittent for years. Last few years though more pronounced with headaches, nausea, indigestion, dizziness, fatigue, and almost always my stomach upset goes with the headaches. I have given up wheat because it seems to help but now it seems other foods may be causing trouble. So tired of not feeling well. I had a leftover curry shrimp and chicken last night that I made and this morning had an egg omelet with veges, small amount of cheese and cooked in butter - dairy trouble? I now have those symptoms but also woke up not feeling well anyway!

Food Allergy - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms of your food allergy?
Food Allergy - Allergy Shots Question: Please discuss your experience with allergy shots in preventing or decreasing food allergies.
Food Allergy - Common Foods Question: What foods are you allergic to? Please share what happens when you eat the food and how you avoid it.
Food Allergy - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to a food allergy diagnosis?
Food Allergy - Treatment Question: Do you receive medical treatment for your food allergy or do you avoid the food? Please discuss your experience.