Patient Comments: Food Allergy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with food allergy.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: September 25

I have an allergic reaction about once every month. I have been tested by an allergist and they cannot find out why. My mouth swells inside the lining of the lips and outside the lip area. It stretches out so much and burns excessively to the point that I have to go and get injections of Benadryl and steroids. I had an attack on Tuesday morning Sept. 22, 2008 and it still has not gone down. In fact my face is swollen around the lip area. Monday night prior to the reaction, I ate hot fudge cake. I read the ingredients and it said allergy note: this product contains wheat, soy, and milk and egg. I can't figure out why this happens. And it's different foods that I eat.

Comment from: 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 26

We had several doctors who did not even consider the possibility of a food allergy. My son was treated for asthma for several years before an allergist did a scratch and blood test that showed us exactly what his allergy is: Eggs. He has been egg-free for almost a year now, and we no longer go to the emergency room over simple colds! I never even considered a food allergy until a friend suggested it. Why are doctors so reluctant to even suggest it?

Published: July 17

My suggestion is to get a complete allergy test using your blood. This will let you know what foods and environmental things that are affecting your body. It is very complete in letting you know what is causing allergy symptoms. I was surprised to learn all my favorite foods I was allergic to.

Published: June 18

I have a young child with several proven food allergies which shows itself through severe eczema. Also she has always had soft stools and tummy ache. I breast fed and had to watch my diet. At that time we only new about milk then came nuts and now soy, bananas egg whites and a couple more. My question is whose care should this child be under? She was under a children's clinic for 1yr before any results. Her skin can become so bad and her itching that she has to be sedated. She was referred to dermatology. She is on several antihistamines, steroid creams and antibiotics.

Published: June 09

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with swelling on my face and or lips. One time it might be the upper left of my lip, next it might be the lower right, or could be the entire left and/or right side of my face. One time the left side of my tongue swelled, one time my whole tongue swelled. I thought it might be from citric acid, but I never get any hives or other symptoms.

Comment from: trsmith, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have been allergic to eggs and peanuts since I was 2 years old. I am now allergic to milk to a certain extent. Latex and milk makes me break out. I cannot even touch the ingredients, or I break out and swell up.

Comment from: puzzled lady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

When I eat any dairy product or foods combined with dairy, after an hour or two I get stomach pains and immediately run to the bathroom. Lately, I have been experiencing runny nose or have post nasal drip for a few days after having dairy. I also smell something unusual (not pleasant)from my nose and when I sniff it out a whitish jelly like substance comes out.

Comment from: Tinkbus33, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I peeled a raw peach from its skin and ate it. I haven't had one in years, but I had no known problems before. Around an hour later, my hand went numb. Minutes later, I could barely breath, and my eyes burned. My eyes swelled shut and my nose ran. Now I know I have a food allergy to peaches!

Food Allergy - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms of your food allergy?
Food Allergy - Allergy Shots Question: Please discuss your experience with allergy shots in preventing or decreasing food allergies.
Food Allergy - Common Foods Question: What foods are you allergic to? Please share what happens when you eat the food and how you avoid it.
Food Allergy - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to a food allergy diagnosis?
Food Allergy - Treatment Question: Do you receive medical treatment for your food allergy or do you avoid the food? Please discuss your experience.