Patient Comments: Food Allergy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a food allergy.

Comment from: June, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I am a 49-year-old female who has had bouts of breaking out with hives for the past two years after eating shrimp. It has been infrequent and not really a life-adjusting problem. Recently, we ate at a Chinese restaurant and I had fried shrimp. An hour later, I went hiking and broke out with severe hives. I had swollen eyes, and my tongue swelled to the point of not being able to talk. I raced uphill one mile to get to the car and made it to a drugstore with my husband. The pharmacist gave me Benadryl and called the paramedics because I passed out. After waking, I was taken to the emergency room and given more meds to reduce the swelling. This was life-threatening. Now I carry an Epi-Pen with me at all times. The doctor said it could be fatal the next time.

Published: July 09

I have suffered from asthma since I was 13, as I have gotten older, I find that any dairy products and anything with oil like butter and mayo, frosting will set off my asthma as soon as it hits my mouth. I will feel a tingling and then start choking. I try extra hard to stay away from that stuff that never seemed to bother me before. I could drink lots of milk but now I only drink soy because milk makes me sick to my stomach and causes lots of stomach symptoms. I can no longer tolerate fried food either. This started about 5 years ago. I'm 41 now, can my body start rejecting other foods that I need? Is there something in all those foods that is a triggering agent?

Comment from: Foodie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

My problem is intermittent for years. Last few years though more pronounced with headaches, nausea, indigestion, dizziness, fatigue, and almost always my stomach upset goes with the headaches. I have given up wheat because it seems to help but now it seems other foods may be causing trouble. So tired of not feeling well. I had a leftover curry shrimp and chicken last night that I made and this morning had an egg omelet with veges, small amount of cheese and cooked in butter - dairy trouble? I now have those symptoms but also woke up not feeling well anyway!

Comment from: Prissy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

An hour ago I had a poorboy. I eat it frequently and never have had a problem, though, this time I did notice the meat was pink. My usual outbursts develope when vegetables are cooked in a sauce, or as any side dish form. I trully believe that the food is cooked to quickly or not well at all and my body takes quick notice (on my face, hands,or scalp) Never together or all at once. Benadryl absolutely works!

Comment from: mazs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

My experience with food allergies is after digesting, or in some cases smelling gluten, soy, and peanuts, I get big, blistering, itchy hives on my chest, back, stomach, knees, and sometimes scalp that scab and remain for up to a week. It's not pleasant. Also, my throat feels as if it wants to close up, and I have a difficult time trying to catch my breath.

Comment from: Lewis rd, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 11

My daughter has been tested for 60 different types of food, but we still don't know what is causing the bump on the inside of her lip. We have to give her Benadryl for two days to keep the swelling down. She is very upset because she is being so cautious about what she is eating. She eats all-natural foods with no dyes or artificial colors or flavors. We think that raw red peppers are one of the bad ones.

Comment from: dee dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Since October I have been experiencing swelling and itching on the upper lip that eventually subsides and becomes a dark, itchy rash. I have seen an allergist and been tested for latex, dental medications (since the reaction occurred after a dental visit), as well as spices, such as curry, oregano, and tomatoes. All have come back negative or within normal ranges. The reactions appear to occur after spaghetti sauce, and to Kentucky Fried Chicken. I am still lost, and so is my doctor, since the food diary has not helped.

Food Allergy - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are the symptoms and signs of your food allergy?
Food Allergy - Allergy Shots Question: Please discuss your experience with allergy shots in preventing or decreasing food allergies.
Food Allergy - Common Foods Question: What foods are you allergic to? Please share what happens when you eat the food and how you avoid it.
Food Allergy - Testing and Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to a food allergy diagnosis?
Food Allergy - Treatment Question: Do you receive medical treatment for your food allergy, or do you avoid the food? Please discuss your experience.