Patient Comments: Food Allergy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with food allergy.

Comment from: Prissy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

From 18-21 years. I had outrageous outbursts of hives, at first itchiness all over my entire face and scalp, and then hands. I scratched, rubbed, and bit my lip for comfort. When completely intolerable I would bathe in cooler water. I was astonished to not recognize my-self. My forehead was huge with no nose bridge! Nor eyelids. My top lip hung over my bottom. One big puff ball for two days, just like the movie hitch. I later found out it was mostly veggies, fruit, and wheat. Mid 20's not so allergic to food except when not cooked well.

Comment from: Prissy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

An hour ago I had a poorboy. I eat it frequently and never have had a problem, though, this time I did notice the meat was pink. My usual outbursts develope when vegetables are cooked in a sauce, or as any side dish form. I trully believe that the food is cooked to quickly or not well at all and my body takes quick notice (on my face, hands,or scalp) Never together or all at once. Benadryl absolutely works!

Comment from: mazs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

My experience with food allergies is after digesting, or in some cases smelling gluten, soy, and peanuts, I get big, blistering, itchy hives on my chest, back, stomach, knees, and sometimes scalp that scab and remain for up to a week. It's not pleasant. Also, my throat feels as if it wants to close up, and I have a difficult time trying to catch my breath.

Comment from: Lewis rd, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 11

My daughter has been tested for 60 different types of food, but we still don't know what is causing the bump on the inside of her lip. We have to give her Benadryl for two days to keep the swelling down. She is very upset because she is being so cautious about what she is eating. She eats all-natural foods with no dyes or artificial colors or flavors. We think that raw red peppers are one of the bad ones.

Comment from: dee dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Since October I have been experiencing swelling and itching on the upper lip that eventually subsides and becomes a dark, itchy rash. I have seen an allergist and been tested for latex, dental medications (since the reaction occurred after a dental visit), as well as spices, such as curry, oregano, and tomatoes. All have come back negative or within normal ranges. The reactions appear to occur after spaghetti sauce, and to Kentucky Fried Chicken. I am still lost, and so is my doctor, since the food diary has not helped.

Comment from: Confused, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have never had food allergies until recently when I ate a caramel apple with peanuts and started having a reaction. I developed hives on my lips. It was strange because the only thing I've ever been allergic to is pollen and your typical spring allergens.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have had severe reactions to sunflower seeds twice. The first came from a trail mix and began with my throat itching. Then my throat closed about half-way and I began to vomit. On the way to the hospital I broke out in huge hives on my hands and elsewhere. An adrenalin shot ended the attack but I didn't feel well for about a week. The second time was from a whole-grain muffin. I first got a very sore throat, hot flushing and vomiting. Again adrenalin took care of it. I now carry an epipen and question ingredients in restaurants.

Comment from: Nurse01, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have never had food allergies before until now. It started a few months back when I went out for lunch with my friends. I have always been known as a picky eater, therefore I stick to foods that I am familiar with. It was shocking to see me develop swelling in my face, eyes, lips, hands, and even my feet. It even caused me to miss days from work. I went to an allergist and they drew my blood and they couldn't find anything wrong. Now I do not eat foods I do not prepare myself but I still have reactions from time to time. Things that I used to eat frequently are no longer an option, even some things I prepare myself are still causing reactions.

Food Allergy - Symptoms Question: What are the symptoms of your food allergy?
Food Allergy - Allergy Shots Question: Please discuss your experience with allergy shots in preventing or decreasing food allergies.
Food Allergy - Common Foods Question: What foods are you allergic to? Please share what happens when you eat the food and how you avoid it.
Food Allergy - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests and exams led to a food allergy diagnosis?
Food Allergy - Treatment Question: Do you receive medical treatment for your food allergy or do you avoid the food? Please discuss your experience.