Patient Comments: Folliculitis - Diagnosis

How was your folliculitis diagnosed?

Comment from: mommy_03, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I had my 3rd child about nine years ago, and one day I seen that I had a red bump on my tummy. So called the doctor and made an appointment to see her, so told me I had Folliculitis which I didn't know what the hell was talking about. So she told me to use this soap and I'll be fine, but guess what it came back. So the next step was pills and it never worked either. I wish they could find something to help because it's nasty and if you even try to pop it hurts like hell.

Comment from: Argh!!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

Help. I have been dealing with folliculitis for 3 years now. Every month like clockwork. I have gone to several Kaiser derm docs. not even a culture. Finally, I had my regular doctor do a culture and he said I have staph infection now. Help. Will removing the hair via laser removal help. It has spread from my neck, face, back, arms, legs, buttocks and now stomach. I am in a constant state of scab. Will hair removal even help. This is debilitation.

Comment from: heplmydaughter, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

My daughter is 7 years old, and she was diagnosed with folliculitis. At first, it was a bacterial infection, then folliculitis. She itches her scalp until sores develop. I've tried over-the-counter shampoos but to no avail. Her doctor said he could not find anything medically for her age for him to prescribe for her. I find this unbelievable. She also has a very dry scalp. This has been going on for about six months now.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I was diagnosed and the dermatologist prescribed Luxiq foam. Betamethasone valerate .12% It helps enormously. My scalp is greatly relieved.

Comment from: concerned mom, Male (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My 2 year old started getting bumps in the creases of his legs right before the fourth of July. We thought he may have gotten bit by baby spiders due to this bag of clothes from the previous year that we had not washed and let hi, wear, they were clean clothes but had been in a clothes bin for the winter and could have had small bugs or something we could not see. When we first took him in he was treated for bites after the bumps did not go away he was treated with a liquid steroid. When that did not work it was suspected he may have scabies and was treated two times in a row with Promethiam cream. It still has not gotten any better so we took him to a dermatologist and they suspected molluscu contagiosum. They took a skin biopsy and found folloculitis to be the issue. We have been treating him with tea tree every night before bed and a dose of Benadryl for itch relief.

Comment from: Samsammah, Male Published: December 17

I'm 18 and I've had folliculitis all over my scalp for years. This is the worst thing ever, having a haircut is so embarrassing! I've used every cure u can think of! I even paid for a private doctor in Holland and it still never cured it! It's the worst thing ever. I got big red bumps that bleed and also yellow and white spots all over my scalp. Makes me feel irritated and disgusting.

Comment from: LaLa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I get horrible razor burn and it seems to be mainly extremely dried skin that feels like it is splitting and feels like a bunch of tiny little cuts. However, I have discovered this great product called Razor Burn Freedom for Women from Swedish Skin Care. I apply it right when I get out of the shower and these problems no longer occur.

Comment from: rammyrams, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

My doctor thinks I have folliculitis but I am experiencing swelling, pressure and tenderness and pain under my right arm. I don't see anyone else with these symptoms? He asked me if it gets red I said yes but that is it just redness not pimples or bumps or anything else just redness. I'm confused.

Folliculitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with folliculitis.
Folliculitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your folliculitis?
Folliculitis - Prognosis Question: What is your folliculitis prognosis?