Patient Comments: Folliculitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with folliculitis.

Comment from: x, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I have had terrible scalp problems from folliculitis over the past 28 years, whenever my hair has been a bit long. When my hair is short the scalp problems go away. I believe it is fungal; yeast, to be specific. I have started using white vinegar on my scalp. Do not get it in your eyes. I also have intestinal yeast problems with extreme anal itching. I apply white vinegar to the area to kill the yeast and relieve the itching. The vinegar works to kill fungus.

Comment from: Marion, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have had itchy scalp and pustules for four years. I tried everything including antibiotics. Dermatologist said the folliculitis was due to stress. It wasn't. My hairdresser gave me the relief I needed. It is now 3 weeks and hardly an itch and no scabs and pustules. Take baby shampoo 1 teaspoon, mix with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Rub in to scalp, as in peeling massage. Wash off. Take 5 to 10 drops pure tea tree oil and rub in to scalp. Take a small amount of coconut oil and rub over the tea tree oil. Cover your head with a scarf or shower cap and leave on for at least an hour or overnight. Wash off with baby shampoo. Relief at last.

Comment from: Jo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I have had itchy scalp breakouts for years, dermatologists have told me it was folliculitis and one said acne of the scalp. I did the antibiotics, which didn't help. I started losing my hair about a year ago, and it has gotten worse the last couple of months. I did a little research and came to the following treatment. I started taking biotin a little over a month ago, and recently started using Neutrogena T/Gel shampoo and taking CandiGONE for overgrowth of yeast in the intestines. After a week on it, I have noticed a big difference, I have a lot less breakouts, and though my hair is still falling out, it's not as bad. I read up on the supplement Viviscal and it looks promising but I haven't tried it yet. I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: RitaB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with folliculitis after going in a two person hot tub one time. Two others in our group also entered the hot tub multiple times, and it did not affect anyone else. Two days later, I was covered with red spots mostly on the mid and upper sides and front of my torso (where I was covered with my one piece swimsuit) that slightly itched. My doctor gave me a steroid shot and antibiotics.

Comment from: Jane6, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have had folliculitis on my scalp for 6 years. I lost a lot of hair. Doctors tried antibiotics for months, which did nothing. I told them I believed it was fungal. Wearing a hat while running created the problem and then a fungal infection on my chest spread to my ears. My skin looked burnt and skin was falling off my ears and they were bleeding. It is still like that 4 years later along with outbreaks of folliculitis on neck, etc. Nodes on scalp and behind ears swell and burn and itch and liquid oozes onto my ears and neck which makes them flare again. Scalp is itchy. Doctors refuse to try any more treatments. They told me people don't get yeast or fungal infections on their skin or anywhere; it is unheard of they said. Yeah, okay. I am using an antifungal cream I got from someone and that helps clear my ears and neck. Doctors refuse to do cultures or tests. They offered SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors). Hello, I am not depressed; just frustrated that they won't do what they are paid to do. Allergist said it was fungal and asked them to do culture and sensitivity testing but my doctors refuse. I don't get it. I will be bald at this rate.

Comment from: Ladyguest, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I might have folliculitis on my scalp, for about two years now. I am wondering if any of the others posting in this forum have or had a pilonidal cyst and/or cystic acne along with folliculitis.

Folliculitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your folliculitis diagnosed?
Folliculitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your folliculitis?
Folliculitis - Prognosis Question: What is your folliculitis prognosis?