Patient Comments: Folliculitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with folliculitis.

Comment from: hemant, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have suffered from this infection from around 1.5 years back. Initially I thought it was dandruff caused by change in my shampoo but later I visited my dermatologist and she prescribed my with 2 pills of 100 mg Doxil, one after breakfast and another after dinner plus Xevor 5 mg after dinner with vitamin A tablet daily for fifteen days . It worked for me. Cetralik mild shampoo was also advised twice a week.

Comment from: Years of experience, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I've had folliculitis for years. The dermatologist diagnosed me just from looking at my breakouts on my scalp. Sometimes I wonder if I was diagnosed correctly. My scalp mostly gets irritated and itches and then breaks out in pimple-like sores and sometimes boils. Through the years, I have tried many things. I have found a method that makes my outbreaks very manageable and much more infrequent. When my dermatologist told me to put Mupirocin ointment up my nose daily, I thought he was crazy and I didn't do it. He said that the nostrils are actually the "host" for the infection. I spent years in misery and then I thought, what do I have to lose? I started putting the ointment in my nose every day. It has made a world of difference. Next time a doctor tells me to do something, I'm going to listen. I also use an OTC acne medication on the breakouts called Acne Free. Acne is a form of bacteria also and this system works great. I hope this will help some of you fellow sufferers. I know it can be very frustrating.

Comment from: L-boogie, IN, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I am a 35 year old African American female. I have had scalp folliculitis and KP skin (chicken skin) for some years now. Both got worse after the birth of my 2 children. Not to mention a mild case of traction alopecia. It's as if my skin just hates life. I went to the dermatologist and I just keep getting cortisone shots in my scalp. I can't take it. Tea Tree oil seems to work best on the scalp folliculitis. I don't dilute it. After I wash my hair, I put it on. It really helps with the inflammation. I have shaved my hair off. They say it doesn't have much to do with diet, but I've found on days when I've had too much sugar and/or carbs, my scalp itches like crazy. I've done some research and found people who suffer with folliculitis may be producing too much DHT as well as too much protein is being clogged in the hair follicles. Try Salicylic Acid, Green Tea. Both have shown some improvements in folliculitis. Neutrogena has some products out there that have the salicylic acid in it. Natural food stores have some herbs that block DHT - I haven't tried yet, but when I do, I'll come back to this site and share what I've found.

Comment from: Wayne, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

I am a 53-year-old white male who is dealing with folliculitis for the first time. It started as a few bumps on the right side of my scalp near my ear. It has spread to about 50% of the right side of my head and a few bumps toward the back of my head. The itching is insane! I first thought it was a reaction to a change in shampoo, but after going back to my usual brand and having new bumps continue to crop up over a three-week period, I went to my family doctor yesterday and got this diagnosis. He is treating it with Doxycycline. I also have a yeast infection on my upper thigh/crotch that is itching badly. Because these two things are unusual in a man my age and in my condition, he is going to do blood work to check for diabetes, as he says these conditions could be a signal of that. I'm hoping it's just a fluke!

Comment from: dah02d, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 14

My African American husband has folliculitis that is constant due to ingrown hairs. He has been taking antibiotics for over a year since he first saw a dermatologist. He also used topical antibiotic creams. Yet, none of this helps because the real culprit is the ingrown hairs. The prescribed treatment is like putting a tarp over a hole in the roof. The hole remains until the roof is fixed. I am presently at the computer 4:57 am because he has been up since 2:00 am. He is constantly trying to pluck the ingrown hairs out. He is irritable, in pain, and frustrated. Is there something that can be done for my husband? He started with laser surgery, it became too expensive.

Comment from: robert, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I was diagnosed with folliculitis in the pubic hair just above the penile root, however that pustule has been there since birth.

Folliculitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your folliculitis diagnosed?
Folliculitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your folliculitis?
Folliculitis - Prognosis Question: What is your folliculitis prognosis?