Patient Comments: Folliculitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with folliculitis.

Comment from: Jo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I have had itchy scalp breakouts for years, dermatologists have told me it was folliculitis and one said acne of the scalp. I did the antibiotics, which didn't help. I started losing my hair about a year ago, and it has gotten worse the last couple of months. I did a little research and came to the following treatment. I started taking biotin a little over a month ago, and recently started using Neutrogena T/Gel shampoo and taking CandiGONE for overgrowth of yeast in the intestines. After a week on it, I have noticed a big difference, I have a lot less breakouts, and though my hair is still falling out, it's not as bad. I read up on the supplement Viviscal and it looks promising but I haven't tried it yet. I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: RitaB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with folliculitis after going in a two person hot tub one time. Two others in our group also entered the hot tub multiple times, and it did not affect anyone else. Two days later, I was covered with red spots mostly on the mid and upper sides and front of my torso (where I was covered with my one piece swimsuit) that slightly itched. My doctor gave me a steroid shot and antibiotics.

Comment from: Jane6, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have had folliculitis on my scalp for 6 years. I lost a lot of hair. Doctors tried antibiotics for months, which did nothing. I told them I believed it was fungal. Wearing a hat while running created the problem and then a fungal infection on my chest spread to my ears. My skin looked burnt and skin was falling off my ears and they were bleeding. It is still like that 4 years later along with outbreaks of folliculitis on neck, etc. Nodes on scalp and behind ears swell and burn and itch and liquid oozes onto my ears and neck which makes them flare again. Scalp is itchy. Doctors refuse to try any more treatments. They told me people don't get yeast or fungal infections on their skin or anywhere; it is unheard of they said. Yeah, okay. I am using an antifungal cream I got from someone and that helps clear my ears and neck. Doctors refuse to do cultures or tests. They offered SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors). Hello, I am not depressed; just frustrated that they won't do what they are paid to do. Allergist said it was fungal and asked them to do culture and sensitivity testing but my doctors refuse. I don't get it. I will be bald at this rate.

Comment from: Folliculitis gone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had scalp folliculitis for the past three years. I had convinced myself that it came from a brush I borrowed from a friend. I went to dermatologists and internists. Antibiotics would improve it slightly but it always came back. I decided to accept and live with it until my hair started slowly falling out. I was worried that if I continued to lose hair people would see the sores. The new dermatologist put me on spironolactone 50 mg twice a day. My hair loss has improved. To my surprise, the side effect of this drug for me was that my folliculitis has 100 percent disappeared. I don't know if this will work for you, but it did for me. It did take a few months of taking the drug. There are other side effects as it is a mild diuretic but for me it is worth it. I know some people who take it when they break out after quitting birth control pills. I figure it can't be that harmful. I hope if you try it you have the same result.

Comment from: SGG, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

My folliculitis started about 1 1/2 years ago, no idea why. I didn't know what it was at first because I've long been very sensitive to any trace residue of shampoo and have had to rinse extremely well. I thought it was that, gone worse, for a few months. Then I spotted an actual pustule. I saw a dermatologist who said it was yeast that my body was producing for some unknown reason. It would enter the root area of the hair follicle and cause an irritation. He assured me there was no cure though it was possible it would go away on its own eventually. I used the antibiotic shampoo he prescribed, the liquid he gave me to ease an irritated spot, the alcohol saturations I came up with on my own, all to try and manage it. Added to that Dial Spring Water bar soap and that helped a bit, too. I had to alternate everything I used to get the best benefit, but nothing was curing it. Then, near the end of January 2015 (this year), I had the flu. I developed a sinus infection as a result and saw another doctor. He gave me two injections (a steroid and an antibiotic, I don't know which antibiotic) and sent me home with a prescription for azithromycin. I started the azithromycin 5-day treatment the same afternoon, 2 pills (not sure now if I should have waited until the next day due to the antibiotic injection) and followed up with one pill a day for the next 4 days. The folliculitis began to improve immediately but I've learned not to get excited about a temporary improvement. However, it's now been over 2 weeks and there's still no sign of the folliculitis. (Hope I'm not jinxing it by saying so.) I guess it's too soon to celebrate but I am hopeful. I'm also wondering if there should have been some testing done to see for sure what type of folliculitis I have/had. Much luck to everyone suffering with this. I know full well how much more it affects your life than anyone who has never had it could ever imagine.

Folliculitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your folliculitis diagnosed?
Folliculitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your folliculitis?
Folliculitis - Prognosis Question: What is your folliculitis prognosis?