Patient Comments: Folliculitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with folliculitis.

Comment from: Jane6, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have had folliculitis on my scalp for 6 years. I lost a lot of hair. Doctors tried antibiotics for months, which did nothing. I told them I believed it was fungal. Wearing a hat while running created the problem and then a fungal infection on my chest spread to my ears. My skin looked burnt and skin was falling off my ears and they were bleeding. It is still like that 4 years later along with outbreaks of folliculitis on neck, etc. Nodes on scalp and behind ears swell and burn and itch and liquid oozes onto my ears and neck which makes them flare again. Scalp is itchy. Doctors refuse to try any more treatments. They told me people don't get yeast or fungal infections on their skin or anywhere; it is unheard of they said. Yeah, okay. I am using an antifungal cream I got from someone and that helps clear my ears and neck. Doctors refuse to do cultures or tests. They offered SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors). Hello, I am not depressed; just frustrated that they won't do what they are paid to do. Allergist said it was fungal and asked them to do culture and sensitivity testing but my doctors refuse. I don't get it. I will be bald at this rate.

Comment from: Folliculitis gone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had scalp folliculitis for the past three years. I had convinced myself that it came from a brush I borrowed from a friend. I went to dermatologists and internists. Antibiotics would improve it slightly but it always came back. I decided to accept and live with it until my hair started slowly falling out. I was worried that if I continued to lose hair people would see the sores. The new dermatologist put me on spironolactone 50 mg twice a day. My hair loss has improved. To my surprise, the side effect of this drug for me was that my folliculitis has 100 percent disappeared. I don't know if this will work for you, but it did for me. It did take a few months of taking the drug. There are other side effects as it is a mild diuretic but for me it is worth it. I know some people who take it when they break out after quitting birth control pills. I figure it can't be that harmful. I hope if you try it you have the same result.

Comment from: SGG, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

My folliculitis started about 1 1/2 years ago, no idea why. I didn't know what it was at first because I've long been very sensitive to any trace residue of shampoo and have had to rinse extremely well. I thought it was that, gone worse, for a few months. Then I spotted an actual pustule. I saw a dermatologist who said it was yeast that my body was producing for some unknown reason. It would enter the root area of the hair follicle and cause an irritation. He assured me there was no cure though it was possible it would go away on its own eventually. I used the antibiotic shampoo he prescribed, the liquid he gave me to ease an irritated spot, the alcohol saturations I came up with on my own, all to try and manage it. Added to that Dial Spring Water bar soap and that helped a bit, too. I had to alternate everything I used to get the best benefit, but nothing was curing it. Then, near the end of January 2015 (this year), I had the flu. I developed a sinus infection as a result and saw another doctor. He gave me two injections (a steroid and an antibiotic, I don't know which antibiotic) and sent me home with a prescription for azithromycin. I started the azithromycin 5-day treatment the same afternoon, 2 pills (not sure now if I should have waited until the next day due to the antibiotic injection) and followed up with one pill a day for the next 4 days. The folliculitis began to improve immediately but I've learned not to get excited about a temporary improvement. However, it's now been over 2 weeks and there's still no sign of the folliculitis. (Hope I'm not jinxing it by saying so.) I guess it's too soon to celebrate but I am hopeful. I'm also wondering if there should have been some testing done to see for sure what type of folliculitis I have/had. Much luck to everyone suffering with this. I know full well how much more it affects your life than anyone who has never had it could ever imagine.

Comment from: WRMC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I went to a dermatologist and he said I had nothing. Then to one that said, in one second, 'You need to see a psychiatrist'. Then a wound specialist said I had scabies, but he contacted the second dermatologist. He then told me that he wouldn't prescribe anything and to see a dermatologist though I told him I had seen 2 already. He diagnosed me with psychogenic skin disease (a psychiatric diagnosis; that is purposely picking and gouging my own skin!) In Urgent Care, for my heart a doctor put my primary diagnosis as, insect bite, but only did a cardiac workup. None of these many medical staff looked at my skin except from 2 to 3 feet away, nor did they look at my samples. They were disrespectful, condescending and some were hostile to me. Today it is 1-22-2015. I saw the 1st staff in the fall of 2013! In November 2014 a doctor gave me numerous doses of Stromectol for scabies, with no success. I finally found a doctor, out of this area, who touched my wounds, examined them closely, treated me respectfully and professionally and diagnosed me with (untreated) folliculitis and prescribed antibiotics. I have scars all over my body, I've avoided people, fearing I'd infect them. It's been anxiety-provoking. I've felt depressed, hopeless, helpless, and it has been an itchy living for 15 Months!

Folliculitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your folliculitis diagnosed?
Folliculitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your folliculitis?
Folliculitis - Prognosis Question: What is your folliculitis prognosis?