Patient Comments: Folliculitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with folliculitis.

Comment from: wemmoss, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 29

I have had folliculitis for a couple of years. The antibiotics keep it away for a few months but it keeps coming back. My doctor said it is under the skin so only antibiotics can work. I have found a shampoo/body wash which kills the itching by 99 percent after 4 days. It is called Benchmark Thyme and you can get it on Amazon or eBay. I kept off my antibiotics for 3 weeks and the shampoo cut the spots/lumps down to 5 to 7 a day and I would not know I had folliculitis if I did not feel my scalp. I leave it on my scalp for 10 to 15 minutes each day, give it a good soft rub into the scalp. It worked to help me have a few weeks free from antibiotics and I would use the wash and not take the antibiotics if folliculitis did not make my hair fall out.

Comment from: 57 year old female, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I have been fighting folliculitis since I got into a hot tub 11 years ago. It started on my legs and torso then my arms. I went to a dermatologist and they treated me over the course of two months with creams and antibiotics. Since then I am battling boils that develop in my groin area, buttocks and upper legs. It is very painful. I use antibacterial soap, and an antibiotic topical cream. I have been treated with oral antibiotics too which cleared it for about 2 months. After the boil clears it leaves a dark spot on the skin that never seems to go away. This is an awful thing to live with. I avoid pools, and wearing certain types of swimwear. When I exercise it seems to irritate the bumps. I guess there really is no cure and I need to learn to live with the flare ups.

Comment from: x, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I have had terrible scalp problems from folliculitis over the past 28 years, whenever my hair has been a bit long. When my hair is short the scalp problems go away. I believe it is fungal; yeast, to be specific. I have started using white vinegar on my scalp. Do not get it in your eyes. I also have intestinal yeast problems with extreme anal itching. I apply white vinegar to the area to kill the yeast and relieve the itching. The vinegar works to kill fungus.

Comment from: Marion, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have had itchy scalp and pustules for four years. I tried everything including antibiotics. Dermatologist said the folliculitis was due to stress. It wasn't. My hairdresser gave me the relief I needed. It is now 3 weeks and hardly an itch and no scabs and pustules. Take baby shampoo 1 teaspoon, mix with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Rub in to scalp, as in peeling massage. Wash off. Take 5 to 10 drops pure tea tree oil and rub in to scalp. Take a small amount of coconut oil and rub over the tea tree oil. Cover your head with a scarf or shower cap and leave on for at least an hour or overnight. Wash off with baby shampoo. Relief at last.

Comment from: Jo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I have had itchy scalp breakouts for years, dermatologists have told me it was folliculitis and one said acne of the scalp. I did the antibiotics, which didn't help. I started losing my hair about a year ago, and it has gotten worse the last couple of months. I did a little research and came to the following treatment. I started taking biotin a little over a month ago, and recently started using Neutrogena T/Gel shampoo and taking CandiGONE for overgrowth of yeast in the intestines. After a week on it, I have noticed a big difference, I have a lot less breakouts, and though my hair is still falling out, it's not as bad. I read up on the supplement Viviscal and it looks promising but I haven't tried it yet. I hope this helps someone.

Folliculitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your folliculitis diagnosed?
Folliculitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your folliculitis?
Folliculitis - Prognosis Question: What is your folliculitis prognosis?