Patient Comments: Folliculitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with folliculitis.

Comment from: I hate folliculitis , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have folliculitis from my waist down (mostly on my buttocks and my hips), and it's so painful to sit, let alone put pants and underwear on. I am always covered, usually from head to toe (sometimes even wearing sweaters during the summer), as I don't want anyone to see the pimple-like things on my body. It's embarrassing, and I wish they would go away, but nothing I have tried has helped. It seems that the more I try, the worse the situation gets. Anyway, I am looking for a dermatologist who would actually listen to me, as I have gone to several and the only thing they tell me is to exfoliate, which serves to no avail. So I hope that this time around I can finally find a doctor who can help me get rid of this nightmare.

Comment from: kathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

My doctor has diagnosed folliculitis. The red lumps are all over my legs. He says it was caused by my using a hot tub at a hotel. He suggested I wash with diluted vinegar twice a day. This does not seem to be helping, and in fact, it appears to be getting worse.

Comment from: wendy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have discoid lupus with head lesions and thought I was experiencing an outbreak until the itching became more and more intense. Folliculitis feels to the touch worse than it actually looks. The bumps multiply and are pink until they scab from the constant scratching. I have been on oral antibiotics and topical steroids. The process of healing, for me, is very slow. Ice helps the itching. I noticed it is much worse when I am hot and toward the end of the day. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy! It is miserable.

Comment from: robert, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I was diagnosed with folliculitis in the pubic hair just above the penile root, however that pustule has been there since birth.

Comment from: juju, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

My Husband and has very coarse hair. My husband only uses a T-Outliner to shave and only shaves 3 to 4 times a week. He uses no razors, it cuts too close so the hair retracts back into the skin!

Comment from: Jimmy J, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I have what has been diagnosed as folliculitis on the shaft of my penis. I have had it for years and am now getting very self-conscious about it. Is there a self-treatment I can do on my own?

Comment from: littletrio, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I have had folliculitis most of my life. I'm currently 38 with severe scalp folliculitis. I have tried Bactrim w/ clindamycin and erythromycin with no luck so far. I've thought about metronidazole topical.

Comment from: Lisa G, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I have suffered from folliculitis since I was a teenager. I am now 31 years old, and it has gotten progressively worse. It started out just on my thighs and occasionally my buttocks, but now it appears anywhere from my buttocks to my forehead. I had surgery when I was around 27 for an outbreak underneath my arm that was so painful I could barely raise my arm to get dressed in the morning. Needless to say the surgery left me in just as much pain, only for the breakout to occur again six months later. Sometimes it gets so bad on my buttocks and bikini area that I become totally uncomfortable with being intimate with my partner. It's embarrassing, and I'm pretty much open to trying anything to make it go away.

Comment from: Jorge, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 26

I have folliculitis, and I hate it because they are big pimples on my back. My back looks ugly. Sometimes it hurts a little bit. They are red. I hope one day they are gone. I have some hair on my chest, and the pimples want to be there too. It's horrible!

Folliculitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your folliculitis diagnosed?
Folliculitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your folliculitis?
Folliculitis - Prognosis Question: What is your folliculitis prognosis?