Patient Comments: Folliculitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with folliculitis.

Comment from: littletrio, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I have had folliculitis most of my life. I'm currently 38 with severe scalp folliculitis. I have tried Bactrim w/ clindamycin and erythromycin with no luck so far. I've thought about metronidazole topical.

Comment from: Lisa G, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I have suffered from folliculitis since I was a teenager. I am now 31 years old, and it has gotten progressively worse. It started out just on my thighs and occasionally my buttocks, but now it appears anywhere from my buttocks to my forehead. I had surgery when I was around 27 for an outbreak underneath my arm that was so painful I could barely raise my arm to get dressed in the morning. Needless to say the surgery left me in just as much pain, only for the breakout to occur again six months later. Sometimes it gets so bad on my buttocks and bikini area that I become totally uncomfortable with being intimate with my partner. It's embarrassing, and I'm pretty much open to trying anything to make it go away.

Comment from: Jorge, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 26

I have folliculitis, and I hate it because they are big pimples on my back. My back looks ugly. Sometimes it hurts a little bit. They are red. I hope one day they are gone. I have some hair on my chest, and the pimples want to be there too. It's horrible!

Comment from: liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have folliculitis. They are very similar to fire ant bites when the skin is broken and liquid drains. Nothing itches worse. They are mostly on my legs, arms, and shoulders. My tiny bumps itch like crazy, bleed, scab, and have discoloration like bruises. My legs are awful; they're very embarrassing. I am frustrated beyond belief.

Comment from: blessed02, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I was told by a dermatologist that I had folliculitis approximately 16 years ago. I underwent treatment. I am now 47, and my hair will not grow past a certain length.

Comment from: Beleaguered, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

Please tell every single or teen whom you care about to avoid the suffering I have experienced. Over 20 years ago, I slept with a woman, only once, who took off her clothes, revealing pimples all over her legs. I had pimples before. No big deal, right? It's just that she had more than the average person. Did not want to hurt her feelings by rejecting her. Big mistake. She knew she had a problem and she lied about its severity and its communicability. She knew I was likely to contract it and she said nothing. Since then, I have spent well over $10k on Hibiclens alone (topical soap used by surgeons to scrub, with persistent anti-microbial properties). I buy it by the gallon. Plus, launder all garments and linens daily, 6-8 full loads weekly. Never use the same towel or sheets more than once, never wear a garment more than once. Started on buttocks. Could maybe have eradicated it then if I had understood. Now it's in my scalp. I have it on the run, no pustules over most of my body. Maybe 1 to 3 moderate pustules in my scalp at any given time, but hopefully waning due to disciplined application of Hibiclens. The problem is that you cannot adequately understand, fear, and respect this condition until you've suffered through a severe invasion, then it is too late. The severity is what it takes to motivate you to adequate discipline. My wife caught it from me. She left, lives alone now, and did not change her sheets frequently enough. Now she has a worse case than when she lived with me. I would like to tell all young people this: To get sex and intimacy, a person will lie to you about his/her health and knowingly give you a disease. Also, you know to protect against HIV and herpes, but there is more that can spread during a sexual encounter, such as skin infections. Promiscuous sex is not worthwhile.

Comment from: True Athlete, 13-18 Male Published: January 12

I am an 18 year old biracial Polish and African American. I have eczema and severe dry skin. During my freshmen year of high school at 14 I noticed some point during football practice I began to get bumps on the back of my head. Later they began to grow larger, spread, and cause severe pain and sometimes bleeding. I found a year later it was folliculitis. I did not wash my helmet enough and developed this skin problem. I have had this problem for 4 years. My doctor prescribed clindamycin and benzol peroxide. The creams seemed to only have little affect and cause severe itchiness. I did take Zithromax, which seemed to be the only way to get the swelling down some. I hope someday that it will go away and quit bugging me. I just wish I knew to keep my helmet clean and this could have all been prevented.

Folliculitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your folliculitis diagnosed?
Folliculitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your folliculitis?
Folliculitis - Prognosis Question: What is your folliculitis prognosis?