Patient Comments: Folliculitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with folliculitis.

Comment from: juju, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

My Husband and has very coarse hair. My husband only uses a T-Outliner to shave and only shaves 3 to 4 times a week. He uses no razors, it cuts too close so the hair retracts back into the skin!

Comment from: Jimmy J, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I have what has been diagnosed as folliculitis on the shaft of my penis. I have had it for years and am now getting very self-conscious about it. Is there a self-treatment I can do on my own?

Comment from: uncomfortable, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I have been dealing with folliculitis since an early teenager, going to the dermatologist at first thinking I had gotten something from a toilet seat. Then, as I got older, it got worse, moving from my inner thighs and buttocks to my stomach and now my arm pits. It is so incredibly painful to sit sometimes. Mine tend to be larger than pimple size, almost like boils. Sometimes they open up, leaving a hole and sometimes they just itch and go away. I have a particularly bad flair up right now so I'm heading to the dermatologist yet again. I've been before, getting a wash, cream for morning, another for night and oral antibiotic, but couldn't afford to keep doing all that. Now that I read what they recommend, knowing that it isn't going to be something that will likely be "cured.” I think I'm going to spend the money. It has to be worth it to prevent me from feeling this way when it flares up. I tend to get it more in the summertime which isn't fun because mine always scars, leaving dark spots in my bikini, butt, leg, underarm and breast area. It really sucks to be quite honest, but if this will help anyone who is suffering with the same thing to not feel so alone, then it's worth me writing! I'm going to the dermatologist tomorrow and if my treatment really works this time. I will post again what she recommended. Good luck to those of you out there with this it's no fun to say the least!

Comment from: I hate folliculitis , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have folliculitis from my waist down (mostly on my buttocks and my hips), and it's so painful to sit, let alone put pants and underwear on. I am always covered, usually from head to toe (sometimes even wearing sweaters during the summer), as I don't want anyone to see the pimple-like things on my body. It's embarrassing, and I wish they would go away, but nothing I have tried has helped. It seems that the more I try, the worse the situation gets. Anyway, I am looking for a dermatologist who would actually listen to me, as I have gone to several and the only thing they tell me is to exfoliate, which serves to no avail. So I hope that this time around I can finally find a doctor who can help me get rid of this nightmare.

Comment from: kathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

My doctor has diagnosed folliculitis. The red lumps are all over my legs. He says it was caused by my using a hot tub at a hotel. He suggested I wash with diluted vinegar twice a day. This does not seem to be helping, and in fact, it appears to be getting worse.

Comment from: wendy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have discoid lupus with head lesions and thought I was experiencing an outbreak until the itching became more and more intense. Folliculitis feels to the touch worse than it actually looks. The bumps multiply and are pink until they scab from the constant scratching. I have been on oral antibiotics and topical steroids. The process of healing, for me, is very slow. Ice helps the itching. I noticed it is much worse when I am hot and toward the end of the day. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy! It is miserable.

Comment from: littletrio, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

I have had folliculitis most of my life. I'm currently 38 with severe scalp folliculitis. I have tried Bactrim w/ clindamycin and erythromycin with no luck so far. I've thought about metronidazole topical.

Comment from: Lisa G, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I have suffered from folliculitis since I was a teenager. I am now 31 years old, and it has gotten progressively worse. It started out just on my thighs and occasionally my buttocks, but now it appears anywhere from my buttocks to my forehead. I had surgery when I was around 27 for an outbreak underneath my arm that was so painful I could barely raise my arm to get dressed in the morning. Needless to say the surgery left me in just as much pain, only for the breakout to occur again six months later. Sometimes it gets so bad on my buttocks and bikini area that I become totally uncomfortable with being intimate with my partner. It's embarrassing, and I'm pretty much open to trying anything to make it go away.

Folliculitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your folliculitis diagnosed?
Folliculitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your folliculitis?
Folliculitis - Prognosis Question: What is your folliculitis prognosis?