Patient Comments: Folliculitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with folliculitis.

Comment from: helper, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

For folliculitis, shampoo and condition, then use original Listerine, the yellow one. Dilute it with water and spray on scalp, leave for 5 minutes and then rinse.

Comment from: Donna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have had folliculitis on my scalp for 7 years and I am at the end of my tether with it. I am constantly on antibiotics but it doesnt seems to let up, it smells, weeps and is very itchy, and I even have bold patches.

Comment from: Pafour, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I have chronic folliculitis in my left lower leg.

Comment from: WRMC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I went to a dermatologist and he said I had nothing. Then to one that said, in one second, 'You need to see a psychiatrist'. Then a wound specialist said I had scabies, but he contacted the second dermatologist. He then told me that he wouldn't prescribe anything and to see a dermatologist though I told him I had seen 2 already. He diagnosed me with psychogenic skin disease (a psychiatric diagnosis; that is purposely picking and gouging my own skin!) In Urgent Care, for my heart a doctor put my primary diagnosis as, insect bite, but only did a cardiac workup. None of these many medical staff looked at my skin except from 2 to 3 feet away, nor did they look at my samples. They were disrespectful, condescending and some were hostile to me. Today it is 1-22-2015. I saw the 1st staff in the fall of 2013! In November 2014 a doctor gave me numerous doses of Stromectol for scabies, with no success. I finally found a doctor, out of this area, who touched my wounds, examined them closely, treated me respectfully and professionally and diagnosed me with (untreated) folliculitis and prescribed antibiotics. I have scars all over my body, I've avoided people, fearing I'd infect them. It's been anxiety-provoking. I've felt depressed, hopeless, helpless, and it has been an itchy living for 15 Months!

Comment from: eric, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 16

My husband has been suffering from folliculitis for about 25 years. It has pretty much spread to entire back, shoulders, etc. He never had it on the scalp as I read a majority of sufferers had. He has been to the hospital, and been part of a study with no help of any kind. Nothing kicks this horrible rash. Today, it is at its worst, we were originally told that a round of antibiotics should kick it and here we are so many years later with no healing at all.

Comment from: Phil M, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I had folliculitis for about 18 months. I've been seeing doctors and dermatologists, who prescribed me cortisone, antibiotics and different lotions. All were temporary solutions. I found out myself that instead of trying to nuke it with these medicines, I went the other way and tried to soup up my immune system. I used vitamin A tablets and zinc tablets, as well as garlic and echinacea. I also rubbed vitamin E cream on my skin and Sudocrem (high zinc nappy rash cream) and this method finally beat it. Hope it helps someone else.

Comment from: Gurinder S., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I found folliculitis cure and this is very simple. After suffering for 7 years finally I found one. Take 1 table spoon turmeric and 1 virgin coconut oil two times a day in the morning on empty stomach and evening after food. Take 1 table spoon turmeric mixed with curd and eat in the afternoon 1 hour before food. After the 2nd day you will start getting result. Do this around 15 or 20 days or you can do more if you want.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have folliculitis on my scalp and face. I have been treated by a dermatologist only to have this return. Now I discovered a Chinese herbal system consisting of two products Fu Li Kang clear lotion and Li Kang cream. Using them together has produced significant improvement. This is not expensive and can be obtained on eBay! I found this by a personal 4 year trial of several products.

Folliculitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your folliculitis diagnosed?
Folliculitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your folliculitis?
Folliculitis - Prognosis Question: What is your folliculitis prognosis?