Patient Comments: Folliculitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with folliculitis.

Comment from: eric, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 16

My husband has been suffering from folliculitis for about 25 years. It has pretty much spread to entire back, shoulders, etc. He never had it on the scalp as I read a majority of sufferers had. He has been to the hospital, and been part of a study with no help of any kind. Nothing kicks this horrible rash. Today, it is at its worst, we were originally told that a round of antibiotics should kick it and here we are so many years later with no healing at all.

Comment from: Gurinder S., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I found folliculitis cure and this is very simple. After suffering for 7 years finally I found one. Take 1 table spoon turmeric and 1 virgin coconut oil two times a day in the morning on empty stomach and evening after food. Take 1 table spoon turmeric mixed with curd and eat in the afternoon 1 hour before food. After the 2nd day you will start getting result. Do this around 15 or 20 days or you can do more if you want.

Comment from: Phil M, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I had folliculitis for about 18 months. I've been seeing doctors and dermatologists, who prescribed me cortisone, antibiotics and different lotions. All were temporary solutions. I found out myself that instead of trying to nuke it with these medicines, I went the other way and tried to soup up my immune system. I used vitamin A tablets and zinc tablets, as well as garlic and echinacea. I also rubbed vitamin E cream on my skin and Sudocrem (high zinc nappy rash cream) and this method finally beat it. Hope it helps someone else.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have folliculitis on my scalp and face. I have been treated by a dermatologist only to have this return. Now I discovered a Chinese herbal system consisting of two products Fu Li Kang clear lotion and Li Kang cream. Using them together has produced significant improvement. This is not expensive and can be obtained on eBay! I found this by a personal 4 year trial of several products.

Comment from: hemant, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have suffered from this infection from around 1.5 years back. Initially I thought it was dandruff caused by change in my shampoo but later I visited my dermatologist and she prescribed my with 2 pills of 100 mg Doxil, one after breakfast and another after dinner plus Xevor 5 mg after dinner with vitamin A tablet daily for fifteen days . It worked for me. Cetralik mild shampoo was also advised twice a week.

Comment from: Years of experience, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I've had folliculitis for years. The dermatologist diagnosed me just from looking at my breakouts on my scalp. Sometimes I wonder if I was diagnosed correctly. My scalp mostly gets irritated and itches and then breaks out in pimple-like sores and sometimes boils. Through the years, I have tried many things. I have found a method that makes my outbreaks very manageable and much more infrequent. When my dermatologist told me to put Mupirocin ointment up my nose daily, I thought he was crazy and I didn't do it. He said that the nostrils are actually the "host" for the infection. I spent years in misery and then I thought, what do I have to lose? I started putting the ointment in my nose every day. It has made a world of difference. Next time a doctor tells me to do something, I'm going to listen. I also use an OTC acne medication on the breakouts called Acne Free. Acne is a form of bacteria also and this system works great. I hope this will help some of you fellow sufferers. I know it can be very frustrating.

Comment from: L-boogie, IN, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I am a 35 year old African American female. I have had scalp folliculitis and KP skin (chicken skin) for some years now. Both got worse after the birth of my 2 children. Not to mention a mild case of traction alopecia. It's as if my skin just hates life. I went to the dermatologist and I just keep getting cortisone shots in my scalp. I can't take it. Tea Tree oil seems to work best on the scalp folliculitis. I don't dilute it. After I wash my hair, I put it on. It really helps with the inflammation. I have shaved my hair off. They say it doesn't have much to do with diet, but I've found on days when I've had too much sugar and/or carbs, my scalp itches like crazy. I've done some research and found people who suffer with folliculitis may be producing too much DHT as well as too much protein is being clogged in the hair follicles. Try Salicylic Acid, Green Tea. Both have shown some improvements in folliculitis. Neutrogena has some products out there that have the salicylic acid in it. Natural food stores have some herbs that block DHT - I haven't tried yet, but when I do, I'll come back to this site and share what I've found.

Folliculitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your folliculitis diagnosed?
Folliculitis - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your folliculitis?
Folliculitis - Prognosis Question: What is your folliculitis prognosis?