Patient Comments: Folliculitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your folliculitis?

Comment from: Barbara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had recurring folliculitis in my pubic region. My primary care physician prescribed an antibiotic ointment, which was tacky in texture, messy to apply, messy within my underwear, and did nothing to control the oozing of blood and pus from an erupted lesion. The last time I got all the lesions to clear up, I started wiping the affected area down with a tissue moistened generously with simple rubbing alcohol every night before I went to bed. I haven't had a recurrence in eight months. It may not work for everyone, but at least it's cheap to try.

Comment from: Jens, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I've suffered from folliculitis for more than a year. From the start I used a cream called Betnovate with chinoform, firstly 3 times a day, then twice a day and after about 5 weeks once a day. In addition to this twice a week I used a shampoo called ketoconazole all over my body and left it on for 4 minutes before washing it off (shower). The cure seemed to work, after the first 3-4 weeks there was a clear progress, but then it took a long time, about 10 months, before it was nearly gone. At that time my doctor diagnosed me with rosacea and prescribed 2 Tetralysal 150 mg a day for 3 months, an antibiotic. Shortly after my starting this cure, the folliculitis came back "in force", so my doctor told me to start the cure all over again. At the same time she took a biopsy of the infected skin and I am waiting for the result. And I expect soon to visit a hospital specializing in this kind of skin problems. My experience in this is, if you get this problem, demand a biopsy, so the doctor brings up the right cure from the beginning.

Comment from: Gift, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I am 21 years old, I have folliculitis in my private parts. I have had it since I was a kid, probably at the age of 5, on my buttocks then slowly it progressed to my private area. I have managed to control it with the use of medicated wash that has 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, white vinegar and camphor lotion. Now I have started taking antibiotics because it's pointless to treat it externally when the root of the infection is internal. I don't have a cure for it but keeping my pubic area clean at all times really helps. I'm not sure about shaving, I just find it easier to treat it once I have shaved.

Comment from: Jamiel, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

As the name implies, pseudofolliculitis is condition that mimics folliculitis. After battling it for well over ten years, I recently found a solution to the problem that affected my face, chin, and neck. I recently started to use a device called the BumpBan to treat razor bumps (pseudofolliculitis barbae) on my chin, face, and neck. My girlfriend gave it for me as a gift. It cleared up my bumps in under two weeks and has kept them off ever since.

Comment from: Paulina, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 05

The best remedy of all is baby powder or medicated powder. Apply it all the time all day long on the affected area. Do not use creams, oils, or anything else. The dryer the skin, the faster will heal. It should take just few days to see the results. Do not let the skin wet not even for a minute. The same treatment works for dermatitis, folliculitis, nail fungus, and any other skin issue.

Folliculitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with folliculitis.
Folliculitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your folliculitis diagnosed?
Folliculitis - Prognosis Question: What is your folliculitis prognosis?