Table of Contents
- Folliculitis facts
- What is folliculitis? What are folliculitis symptoms and signs? What does folliculitis look like?
- Who develops folliculitis?
- What are the causes of folliculitis?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose folliculitis?
- What else could folliculitis look like?
- What are common types of folliculitis?
- What is hot tub folliculitis or Jacuzzi folliculitis?
- What is razor burn folliculitis?
- What is pseudofolliculitis barbae?
- Is folliculitis curable? Is folliculitis contagious?
- What are possible complications of folliculitis?
- What is the treatment for folliculitis? Are there any home remedies for folliculitis?
- What types of doctors treat folliculitis?
- What is the prognosis of folliculitis?
- Is it possible to prevent folliculitis?
Quick GuideBoils: Causes, Symptoms, and Home Remedies
What is pseudofolliculitis barbae?
Pseudofolliculitis barbae is a very common ingrown hair condition on the beard area (lower face and neck) of men. Typically, there are groups of small red bumps on the beard area that may flare with repeat shaving. Pseudofolliculitis tends to be worse with very curly or kinky hair. It can be quite debilitating especially if one's employment requires a closely shaven appearance. Cutting the hair close to or below the follicular orifice results in hairs that penetrate into the follicular wall as they twist and grow. These trapped hairs cause irritation and inflammation at the hair follicles.
Treatment goals include avoiding overly aggressive shaving, trial of the "bumps-free razor," and antibacterial benzoyl peroxide shaving gels. Other treatment options include professional laser hair removal, electrolysis, electric razors, or a prescription drug called eflornithine (Vaniqa). Continue Reading
Durdu, M., and M. Ilkit. "First Step in the Differential Diagnosis of Folliculitis: Cytology." Crit Rev Microbiol. 39 (2013): 9-25.
Leulmo-Aguilar, Jesus, and Mireia Sabat Santandreu. "Folliculitis: Recognition and Management." Am J Clin Dermatol 5.5 (2004): 301-310.
2. Getty Images
3. Getty Images
6. Getty Images
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter