- Psoriasis Slideshow: Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
- Psoriasis Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
- Moderate to Severe Forms of Psoriasis Slideshow
- What is fluorouracil-topical-carac-efudex-fluoroplex, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for fluorouracil-topical-carac-efudex-fluoroplex?
- Do I need a prescription for fluorouracil-topical-carac-efudex-fluoroplex?
- What are the uses for fluorouracil-topical-carac-efudex-fluoroplex?
- What are the side effects of fluorouracil-topical-carac-efudex-fluoroplex?
- What is the dosage for fluorouracil-topical-carac-efudex-fluoroplex?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with fluorouracil-topical-carac-efudex-fluoroplex?
- Is fluorouracil-topical-carac-efudex-fluoroplex safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about fluorouracil-topical-carac-efudex-fluoroplex?
What is fluorouracil-topical-carac-efudex-fluoroplex, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- Topical fluorouracil is a drug that is used to treat conditions of the skin in which there is rapid multiplication (division) of cells, for example, skin cancer. In order to multiply or divide, cells must produce DNA for each new cell. The DNA is critical since it is the genetic material that directs the activity of all cells. Production of DNA depends on the production of RNA which serves as a messenger during the production of DNA. Fluorouracil prevents the formation of RNA which, in turn, prevents the formation of DNA. As a result, cells cannot multiply. With continued treatment, the remaining cells also die.
- The FDA approved fluorouracil in July 1970.
What brand names are available for fluorouracil-topical-carac-efudex-fluoroplex?
Carac, Efudex, Fluoroplex, Tolak
Do I need a prescription for fluorouracil-topical-carac-efudex-fluoroplex?
What are the uses for fluorouracil-topical-carac-efudex-fluoroplex?
- Topical fluorouracil is used to treat certain skin conditions in which cells are multiplying rapidly.
- It is used to treat cancerous or precancerous conditions including solar keratoses, actinic keratosis, superficial basal cell carcinoma, and Bowen's disease (a type of skin cancer).
- It also is used to treat some noncancerous conditions in which cells are dividing rapidly, including psoriasis, genital warts, and porokeratosis (an unusual inherited skin condition causing dry patches on the arms and legs).
- Fluorouracil works best on the face and scalp, and is less effective on other areas of the body. It also destroys sun-damaged skin cells making the skin smoother and more youthful-appearing.
What are the side effects of fluorouracil-topical-carac-efudex-fluoroplex?
Common side effects of topical fluorouracil include:
Common side effects include:
- Burning sensation
- Sun sensitivity
- Allergic reactions
Other side effects include:
- Ulcer formation
- Bacterial infection
Quick GuidePsoriasis Types, Images, Treatments
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.