Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

A Doctor's View on Flu Shot Side Effects

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Some people believe that they can get the flu from receiving the flu shot, but this is not the case. For most people, the risks of contracting the flu are far greater than any risks associated with the vaccine. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I had the flu vaccine for the first time in my life on September 28th as suggested by my doctor. Since that day I have experienced severe muscle pain, especially in my left knee, the same side I received my shot. My wrists, ankles and muscles are aching severely. I felt perfectly fine prior to this flu shot. It has now been 7 days and no relief yet. I have called my doctor and waiting for his return call. I hope this is temporary; at least the flu eventually goes away!

Comment from: OLDFIELD, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I received the senior extra strength flu shot on 2/29/15. My arm around the shot site really hurt. During the night the fingers on my right hand were hard to bend, with excruciating pain. Today one day later I am sweating and the lymph nodes under the right arm hurt. I ache and have general malaise and will just lie around today.

Comment from: michelle, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 01

I received the flu shot on Friday and this is Tuesday and I have what feels like a full blown case of the flu; fever, chills, aches, and fatigue. I am a nurse and am required to have this shot. I don't know what I will do next year, I have to work but I do not want to go through this again. I hope I feel better soon as I have to take care of patients when I feel like I am sicker than they are. Before my shot, I was going to the gym and being very active. Now it is all I can do to drive home from work.

Comment from: Annie52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I had the flu shot as prescribed by my general physician (although I very seldom get a cold or flu). However this time, within a week I was so sick, sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, aches and pains and coughing up so much mucus. I was in bed for 5 days before I felt well enough to get up! No I do not smoke. I wonder if I was run down to get so sick after finally having the flu shot.

Comment from: Flip, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had the flu vaccination shot on the 14/4 and ended up as a result, having an adverse reaction. Pulse rate 137, SpO2 92 percent, temperature 38, I have rigor, am unable to breathe and have aches across shoulders and down arms. My eyes are exuding green muck. Within 30 hours I had a heart attack! I have had previous reactions before, only to be told it was coincidental. It is not! I have still had some of the medicos state the same this time, but am fighting to have the truth acknowledged. I am not saying don't have it if it hasn't affected you. I'm saying they need to start acknowledging the side effects instead of covering it up!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 12

At age 64 I got a flu jab because I am my husband's caregiver so it wasn't the first time. I got the flu vaccine late October and still have a red circle with itch over where the jab was given. It's enough to drive you insane at times.

Comment from: Mama WOLF, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had flu shot a couple months ago and now wish I had gotten the flu. My left arm is in extreme pain with swelling of joints. The back of neck has stopped hurting but my arm is not ok. I will go to a doctor soon if it does not clear up.

Comment from: Elliecar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

Both me and my mum went for our flu jabs, neither of us has had any problems before this year. Within a week we both took extremely ill with high temperature, and chest infections. After 3 weeks I felt better, but my mum who is 70 got worse by the day, she suffered extreme pain in her back, both legs and arms, eventually her temperature was so high she was taken to the hospital. Now 3 months on she is severely handicapped, in extreme pain, on morphine, and a whole load of other medications, can't walk or barely lift a cup to her mouth, Now she has been told she has IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), and damage to her spine which they can't find the reason for. She is in and out of hospital getting scans and all sorts of tests, but they still don't know the cause or how to treat her apart from giving her pain relief, which isn't helping much; even the morphine is not helping the pain. Until the jab she was a very active woman who walked everywhere, went dancing and was a happy person. She is now a shell of her formal self, I would never get that jab again and would not wish this on anyone. Please think twice before getting it. So many people who have serious issues with it can't possibly all be wrong.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.