Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

A Doctor's View on Flu Shot Side Effects

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Some people believe that they can get the flu from receiving the flu shot, but this is not the case. For most people, the risks of contracting the flu are far greater than any risks associated with the vaccine. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Boo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had the flu jab in November and haven't felt right since. I've got ongoing muscle pain in my neck and shoulders, and stinging pain around my ribs and tummy. Three doctors said it was shingles but I don't agree with them, I've spent a fortune on physiotherapy and acupuncture but nothing has helped. Now I've got this horrible rash pityriasis rosea, it's the worst itch you can imagine along with viral symptoms and to top it all I've suddenly developed a tree pollen allergy. I felt fighting fit until I had the flu jab, I won't be having it this year.

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

My note on 29 April 2014. On 5 April 2014 I had the flu vaccine injection done at a well-known pharmacy. I was fine until 27 April 2014 when I fell ill, had sore throat, thick head sensation, runny nose, aching ears etc. I called upon the pharmacy where I got it from who said they cannot refund me and sold me a flu 3 in 1 pack which cost me further. I am not impressed. The pharmaceutical factories make these vaccines, it doesnt really work, we don't get a guarantee, and we don't get a refund either! So I bought myself a chocolate to help me feel better.

Comment from: Assistant Nurse, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

I received the flu shot last Tuesday just after Easter. I had a very sore arm around the site of the injection for 5 days. I developed a very itchy skin all over my body on day 5 and needed to take 2 antihistamine tablets. Day 6, I developed a severe sore throat, and I am gargling mouthwash every 45 minutes. I was very thirsty and could hardly talk, my throat swelled up and I didn"t sleep well also.

Comment from: Newzhnd, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I had a flu shot resulting in severe muscle pain from my neck to shoulder to arm so that I had to learn to use my mouse with my left hand. It took three months to clear up, during which I had acupuncture treatments by a licensed professional who is also an MD. Note that I am in age range of 55 to 64 and had had flu shots since I was in my 20s.

Comment from: CH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I received the flu vaccine in 2013 and six months later I still have severe muscle pain in my left arm where I received the injection and a severe sore throat. I am unable to perform ADLs (activities of daily life) with my left arm. Right now I am at the doctor's again to seek help. I hope they can help. I am tired of all this pain.

Comment from: jeanm508, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I got the flu shot in October 2013. I never had a problem in previous years. This year, about 1 month later I had a very bad skin outbreak and after biopsy was diagnosed with pityriasis lichenoides, also known as PLEVA. I have read on many websites of this outbreak after receiving the shot. I would like to speak to others that this has happened to. This has been ongoing for 4 months now with no relief in sight. I will be contacting the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and encourage others to do the same.

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I got my flu shot late this year. It was in January and since then the muscles in that arm are aching all the way down into my hand. Plus I have muscle spasms that wake me up, in that arm and shoulder pain into my back. It's not getting any better, as a matter of fact it seems to be getting worse.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with flu shot.