Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

A Doctor's View on Flu Shot Side Effects

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Some people believe that they can get the flu from receiving the flu shot, but this is not the case. For most people, the risks of contracting the flu are far greater than any risks associated with the vaccine. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I had a lumpectomy and had sentinel node dye. Three nodes were removed, and 2 of those positive. I returned to surgery 2 weeks later and had 4 nodes removed and further scraping lateral to where previous lumpectomy was done. One node was positive. Now I have infection around the auxiliary operation site and down into my breast. I have used 2 different antibiotics and still using one for 5 days now, and my breast is still red and sore. I had fluid drained and was told I did not have an infection; but I did. So now I play the waiting game. When this subsides I am having radiation and the hormonal treatment. My cancer is a stage one. I had two tumors in my breast.

Comment from: Bernadette, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

Ten days ago I was feeling rather weak. As soon as I got home, I went straight to bed. Even though it was a warm day, I got colder and colder, and then started shivering. I can't say how long that went on when I woke at one point so hot and sweating that I couldn't get out of my clothes fast enough. My temperature seemed to register 104.2! I dozed off again not being able to take medication because I just couldn't remember to. The next day I felt cooler so I showered. Then the whole thing repeated. Meanwhile my friends were calling each other to go to me as it seems I was delirious on the phone! They came with the paramedics and my temperature was 105! In the emergency room, the doctor noticed a pink area on my leg. It got worse before 3 antibiotics kicked in. The cellulitis in the leg has improved and the color is back to pink from red, the heat has lessened and the swelling is somewhat better at this time. It still hurts to put lotion on. I keep it elevated, but do not use heat on it as my primary doctor advised me to!

Comment from: Judy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

With my vaginal prolapse, it protrudes whenever I am walking around, and do a lot bending and stooping or lifting. However, I wind up having back pain, and one morning I tried to stand up straight and couldn't because it felt like all my (hamstrings) or muscles were pulling in my lower back of upper legs and hips connecting to my back. I had to stretch and sit and do a little walking in the house (bent over) before it cleared up.

Comment from: mountain girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I have been dealing with hyponatremia since 1993 and at first it was from drinking gallons of water. It has never stopped over time. Once I was at 125 although it took a week to get there. Eating salt doesn't fix it. I have to quit drinking to 4 cups per day or add electrolytes. I don't urinate in the day but watch out, at night I will be up 5 times. The only extremities that swell are my eyelids, gums, and belly. My blood sodium is always about 132, so it doesn't take much to spill the cart. I get tired, muscle fatigue, can't remember things, or slow reactions, I sit down and fall right to sleep. Many times I get cold too. I exercise weekly but I can't get my muscles to work at all. I get sore when I do. No one ever gives me a reason. I have inter-connective autoimmune hypothyroidism, and had hepatitis C which has been non-detectable due to Rebetron therapy since 2000. It started after I was diagnosed with it. Wish someone could help me. I go up and down the scale 6 lb at a time. My urine is nice colored so I can't be dehydrated. Hope this helps.

Comment from: leelas, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have no discharge, no odor, but I have intense itching on my vagina with rash {bumps} from scratching, and I burn when urinating and there is swelling. At first we thought it was a yeast infection, but the medicine hasn't cleared it up. I wonder what else could cause this vaginal infection.

Comment from: ENAMUL H., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am suffering from diabetes since 1987. Presently my HbA1c range is 9.5. Both my legs are swollen. I am regularly taking insulin and diabetic medicines, I have to lower my HbA1c level.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.