Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

Comment from: Ka, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 14

I got my flu shot on Friday afternoon. I have had a headache since Friday night; stiff and aching neck and all of my joints hurt. I have low grade fever and my sinuses are tender/swollen. I have also been sneezing off and on all day today (Sunday) and my throat is itchy and sore. I do have allergies, but this isn't usually the time of year I have symptoms. As I have to have the flu shot (working in the health care field it's required) I don't have much choice but to get the vaccine. Ugh. Enough said.

Comment from: pmd, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I took my flu shot a week ago and have been experiencing muscle spasms in my arm, pain radiating from the neck and shoulder down to the arm. I did not experience any pain during the injection.

Comment from: Cherstorm, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

I had the flu shot about 3 weeks ago. I experienced burning with the injection and severe shoulder and left arm pain about 4 hours later. I had continued severe pain for 3 days. I had assumed it was getting better and when I noticed I was having continued left arm pain I assumed it was a side effect from a new medication I was taking. I stop the medication, and the pain continued. I'm certain my pain is from my flu shot. After nearly 4 weeks I have such severe left arm and shoulder pain that dressing my upper body and washing my hair are extremely difficult. I've had the flu shot several time before without any side effects. This is very scary.

Comment from: Cassie, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

I still have very sore muscles and spasms in my arm where flu shot was given; 9 days later. I could not lift my arm at all for 3 days. I also got weak and almost passed out about 4 hours after the shot, proceeded to have chills for 3 hours after that. I have had flu shots since my 20s (now 67) and never had a reaction like this. I am very worried about the pain in my upper arm/shoulder, it almost feels like a torn muscle or worse; something wrong in rotator cup.

Comment from: Marta, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I had a flu shot on Monday morning, and by afternoon I was shivering and running 100.4 fever, headache, and the injection site was very sore with a red disk about 3 inches in diameter. The next two days I had a fever of 102.9 and 102.7 and was very sick. The fever finally broke on Thursday, but I'm still not feeling very well.

Comment from: No more flu shot, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I started waiving the flu shot in 2009. For the two years previous I had bad muscle pain for months, and in 2008 I couldn't use my arm for nine months, it kept me awake at night and I couldn't lift it above my waist due to pain and weakness. I now work in healthcare and today I was told if I didn't get the shot I'd have to wear a mask every day. So be it. I'll get one for every holiday. I did try to report my adverse reactions to the flu hotline and they made it impossible. The shots were received at flu clinics so I couldn't supply all their information they wanted so they wouldn't accept my report.

Comment from: VA in PA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I received my annual flu shot from my employer on 9/23/14. On 9/24 the injection site was inflamed and swollen about 2 inches in diameter. On 9/25 I then experienced joint pain and headache. On 9/26 my hand on the side that I received the dose was weak and painful (I do have degenerative joint disease in this hand). Normally, with past inoculations I had one day of feeling. I will continue to get flu shot 4 days are better than 2 weeks or even 3 months that I have read for patients dealing with H1N1.

Comment from: deeabee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I received the flu shot at work, and now I wish I hadn't. It's been one week since the injection, and I have such severe muscle pain in my shoulder and arm that I can't sleep on my left side. It's so painful to try to even pull a shirt over my head, and the pain sometimes goes down to my hand and fingers. I was perfectly fine and had no aches and pain like this before that flu shot! What a mistake, but this never happened before the other times I was given the flu vaccine. I will never get another one!

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.