Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I got the flu vaccine on Thursday. By Friday night I had dizziness, aching and a sore throat. Saturday morning I woke up with a lump under the arm that I got the shot in and a feeling similar to the feeling I have when in contact with a lot of cats. My arm is swollen and sore midway down my arm. I'm not going to get it again. I had severe reaction 20 years ago and was told it was because it was the live vaccine and I should not have a problem with this vaccine. I've been reluctant to get any vaccines as I have Epstein Bar virus. Now I know I won't be getting any vaccines at all again.

Comment from: Sleepy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I felt perfectly healthy, aside from having rheumatoid arthritis, prior to getting a flu vaccine. Within 3 hours of receiving the injection, I developed a headache and extreme tiredness. The headache only lasted about 16 hours but I continue to feel tired and all I want to do is sleep. In the 2 days following the injection, I slept 20 and 18 hours, respectively. This is day three and all I want to do is sleep. I'm wondering how long this will last. I want my old feeling of health back and I want to hear if others have experienced this.

Comment from: Pattianne, Female Published: September 28

I had my first flu shot last year (October 2010) in the late afternoon. In 3 hours, I developed a sore throat, cough, and general achiness. Then 2 hours later, I spiked a fever. All symptoms lasted until the next morning. I thought it was a fluke so I got a flu shot this year. Again, within 3 hours I had all the same symptoms. I am so tired and drained. If this is what the flu is like, I don't want it.

Comment from: Jean, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I received my influenza vaccine as I have many years before, but somehow developed night sweats, and fever (99.9) within 8 hours of the injection. I felt terrible in the morning with body aches and a continued low grade fever, with lightheadedness and fatigue throughout the day. The only thing different this time was that the nurse inadvertently injected into a vessel which caused and immediate involuntary muscle response. Ouch!

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I had the flu jab on the 11th of this month and this Monday I am getting bad muscle pains in my legs. After work I can hardly walk, it's like I rode a bike up a hill, I am not sure if this could be due to the flu jab or not.

Comment from: Laurel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I got the flu vaccine 2013 six days ago. I have had a persistent headache ever since.

Comment from: DF, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

It's 24 hours after I got my flu shot I have a 100.6-degree fever, chills, body aches. I have been getting the flu shot for years and this is a first.

Comment from: Bimbadeen, 55-64 Male Published: May 01

I got the flu shot for the first time. After a few days, I developed a sore throat. It turned into a respiratory infection requiring antibiotics. I have not been able to sleep at night because it brings on constant coughing. This is not what I was expecting and I am unlikely to get the flu shot again.

Comment from: Helpmewiththispain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I got a flu shot at the end of 2012 at Walgreens. That night I had severe knee pain. I have been to the orthopedic doctor three times and have had two cortisone shots. The pain has now moved to the back of my knee. He seems to think its ostearthritis. It is something really strange. I cannot get rid of the pain. I've never had a reaction to the flu shot. I want to know what this year's immunization had in it that was different than all others?

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.