Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: Bev, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I received a flu shot in 09 just about killed me. I was passing out on leaving the exam room. I was wheeled back in the exam room where I felt extremely hot, a burning back up my back as if I was on fire. I was in terrible pain to the point of crying. I have a high tolerance for pain but this was something horrific. My heart was racing extremely fast my blood pressure dropped to almost nothing. I was given an injection to counter act the adverse reaction. Within 20 minutes I was feeling better. Months after this I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis though no one in my family has had this. Now I read it could be linked to the flu shot. I am need of surgeries for knee replacements, I have pain in every joint in my body from the R/A. I have not taken a flu shot since but will regret doing so for the rest of my life.

Comment from: waycoolnursee, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 07

I work in Health care for the past 23 years, I've always gotten the flu shot and still every year get some type of upper respiratory illness but usually get better in a wee, This last Thursday I got the shot and by Saturday I felt weak by Sunday night I had a horrible headache that lasted 4 days Then I felt a burning in my chest and came down with this respiratory and bronchitis and have coughed so much I had to go to the hospital and get antibiotics. I think I've had an adverse reaction or hardly been exposed to the flu prior to getting my flu shot, I have been miserable, also have rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes, maybe my immune system was weak to begin with.

Comment from: sandy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I am a 69 yr. old female and had the fluvac plus six weeks ago. I'm usually very active and healthy. My arms started to lose their ability to lift laterally. More on the right. This progressed to acute pain in both shoulders and upper arms. One trip to my Dr. She gave me a shot of depomedrol which helped for 9 days the pain is back worse than ever. One recent ER visit shows no shoulder breaks. Waiting for MRI and going back to Dr. today. I'll never get the flu shot again if I get better. No sleep, tons of Advil, Tylenol for too long. I'm much worse than this note depicts in the pain and arm use dept.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I received the flu shot on Saturday around noon. By 5:00 I had severe chills and general malaise. I took ibuprofen and felt better shortly, but this cycle repeated Sat night, all day Sun and Mon and again this morning (Tues). I ache and when I swallow I feel a burning sensation in my upper chest. I don't believe I have a fever - at least not a high one. No nausea - just aches and chills, and the stomach/chest thing. I am NOT a happy camper.

Comment from: Mary Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I received my flu shot about a week ago; I had just the typical soreness at the shot site. Now, with this particular shot, my arm is sore in the crook of my elbow. I've never had this before, and hope it is a normal reaction. And the shot site is still a bit sore! P.S. I am a 54 year old woman and healthy.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I had a flu vaccine on Wednesday. Later that night, I had loss of appetite and nausea after eating. Today, I went to an orthodontist appointment and was fine, but when it came time to be dropped off at school, I found myself nauseous and unable to go. When I got home, I developed fatigue, an extreme headache, and a low fever (99.1). It is nearing 24 hours after the vaccine and everything but the headache is starting to fade. Glad I'm young.

Comment from: Sunny, 65-74 Female Published: October 13

Had the flu shot three days ago. The next day could barely move my arm, pain from neck, shoulder down to elbow. Could not sleep the pain was so intense. Now can move the arm better, but still having pain now also in the shoulder blade and down the side. At least I am not alone!! My husband had the headache, fatigue and generally not feeling well, he is getting better now.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.