Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: Sore throat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I received the flu jab back in 2006 and 2007 around October/November. Both years in December I ended up with tonsillitis and border line strep throat. I have never prior to 2006 experienced tonsillitis. I have never since 2007 got it again and I have never took the flu jab either.

Comment from: Emmy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had flu shot on September 30th and I still have muscle pain on October 7th. It appears to travel around the area.

Comment from: Amanda Cook, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was 9 weeks pregnant and got the flu shot and my baby died. Then I got red and had rashes.

Comment from: Momof4, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I got the flu shot for the first time and by the end of the day my knees were in so much pain. It's now been 2 days since receiving the flu shot and I can barely walk. I'm not sure if it's related to the flu shot but I haven't been in this much pain! I know I have early signs of arthritis in my knees but it's never been this painful since receiving the flu shot.

Comment from: Schmdley, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had the standard adult (I am 80) flu shot, and it hurts after an hour. This is not a problem for me, the flu is worse.

Comment from: Smileawhile, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

My husband decided to get the flu shot for the fist time on Monday afternoon. He got a headache Tuesday night and still has it this morning. He watched me suffer migraines for years and really couldn't relate because he doesn't get headaches. He told me this morning he is wondering if this is what a migraine feels like. Otherwise he has no other side effects.

Comment from: ibc warrior, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

Hi, I am diagnosed stage 4 secondary mets to the bone and I had my flu vaccination for the first time since being diagnosed with cancer back in 2005. I have sore joints, feet ache, redness at the injection site, sinus issues, malaise for last 2 weeks since injection. Only took the shot this year as I am travelling around Australia. The joint pain and tiredness is hard to contend with. Pain meds don't cut it.

Comment from: skategirl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have gotten a yearly flu shot for years and had no problems. However, this year I was given the flu shot for seniors (I'm 68). I had a number of side effects with this one, including nausea, severe neck and shoulder pain on my left side. The neck and shoulder pain lasted for about a couple of weeks. I began to do some gentle exercise again after that, and the shoulder pain came back. It was severe and I was only able to sleep 4 or 5 hours at a time after taking Ibuprofen. I couldn't eat much because of the nausea and pain and lost weight. The second episode of shoulder pain also lasted two weeks. I also had tingling in my left arm and hand. I was given the shot in my right arm. I haven't had any pain in three weeks, and the tingling is almost gone now, so hope I'm over this. I'm not aware of anything I did to cause the pain, so believe it was the flu shot. It was scary as I'm not a sickly person & had never had anything like this. I'll never get another flu shot!

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.