Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

Comment from: Lorie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

We are forced to submit to flu shots because of our employer (hospital). This year I struggle with joint pain in my hip and femoral bone pain, as well as heartburn and indigestion. These symptoms presented the day after my shot and after a week, and it's not getting any better. One of my co-workers has identical symptoms that also presented within a day of getting the shot.

Comment from: christy1976, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

Within 1 hour of the flu vaccine injection I began having pain in the side of my neck on the same side of the injection. Another hour later I was face down sweating profusely nauseous. I will never get one again. I was weak the following day.

Comment from: Nanny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I received the over-65 flu shot yesterday afternoon. Only effect was very minor soreness at the injection site, until this morning. About 18 hours after receiving the shot, I had a sudden fever, headache and diarrhea which lasted about 2 hours, then subsided. I am feeling very tired, I slept soundly for 6 hours then awoke feeling fine.

Comment from: Treyce, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

Thank goodness I have never had the flu from the flu shot. I just had my flu shot on 10/12/15 and I feel fine.

Comment from: dg, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 13

I had the flu shot on 10-6-15, as required by my job. I never had a problem before, but now I have extreme neck, shoulder and arm pain. I have been taking 800 mg Motrin every 4 hours with no relief. It feels like I tore a muscle or my rotator cuff, ice not helping, heat not helping, and it's getting worse.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I had the flu vaccine for the first time in my life on September 28th as suggested by my doctor. Since that day I have experienced severe muscle pain, especially in my left knee, the same side I received my shot. My wrists, ankles and muscles are aching severely. I felt perfectly fine prior to this flu shot. It has now been 7 days and no relief yet. I have called my doctor and waiting for his return call. I hope this is temporary; at least the flu eventually goes away!

Comment from: OLDFIELD, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I received the senior extra strength flu shot on 2/29/15. My arm around the shot site really hurt. During the night the fingers on my right hand were hard to bend, with excruciating pain. Today one day later I am sweating and the lymph nodes under the right arm hurt. I ache and have general malaise and will just lie around today.

Comment from: michelle, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 01

I received the flu shot on Friday and this is Tuesday and I have what feels like a full blown case of the flu; fever, chills, aches, and fatigue. I am a nurse and am required to have this shot. I don't know what I will do next year, I have to work but I do not want to go through this again. I hope I feel better soon as I have to take care of patients when I feel like I am sicker than they are. Before my shot, I was going to the gym and being very active. Now it is all I can do to drive home from work.

Comment from: Annie52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I had the flu shot as prescribed by my general physician (although I very seldom get a cold or flu). However this time, within a week I was so sick, sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, aches and pains and coughing up so much mucus. I was in bed for 5 days before I felt well enough to get up! No I do not smoke. I wonder if I was run down to get so sick after finally having the flu shot.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.