Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

Comment from: DeAnn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I got the flu jab on October 17. I had an allergic reaction. I have red and purple hives. I went to urgent care. Medicines did not help. Today I went to the emergency room. I still have these things. This has never happened before. Now I have another bill. I am feeling angry.

Comment from: Shirley, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I got the flu shot about 2 weeks ago. A week later I went to doctor for 6 months check. I was perfectly healthy. Everything was normal. The next day, I got very sick, sore throat, coughing, fever, fatigue, wheezing and incontinence. I was in bed for 4 days. Then I went to the doctor and diagnosed with acute bronchitis. I hardly ever get sick, little cold or bronchitis once in a while. Otherwise very healthy. Always got flu shot and never had a problem. So I wonder if it was the flu shot that made me so sick. I believe so.

Comment from: Bob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 26

I got the flu shot on a Thursday and started feeling poorly the following Tuesday. I woke up with a rash resembling the measles on Wednesday, also suffering from aches and pains. I've missed two days of work from it.

Comment from: Social Worker, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 26

I had the flu shot a week ago. The day after the shot I started having cold symptoms (low fever, very sore throat, runny/stuffy nose, cough, chest congestion and aches). This is my first time for the vaccine. Of course everyone is telling me it had nothing to do with the shot, but every other season I am usually the last one to catch the flu (usually March). So, I am miserable one week later, sore throat, burning behind my eyes and nose. I will ride this out, but confused whether to get it next year if I am not forced to by my employer.

Comment from: Tania, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I am a retired teacher and have had the flu jab for more than ten years with no appreciable side effects. This year I had the jab on 19th October and since then have had pain in the left arm, which goes into the neck, under the arm, into the breast and is worse around the elbow. I did not expect this reaction and was interested to read the similar experiences of your contributors.

Comment from: Loulou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had the flu jab last Thursday. Today is Tuesday, and I felt weak, had chills, I am feeling hot at night, have muscle aches in hips and stabbing pains in arms and legs. I am not sure, in all honesty, if I would have had the jab, if I had known I would feel this way. Also I feel very tired and I felt well leading up to the jab.

Comment from: HighDesertSage, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I had the flu vaccine (Fluarix) on Saturday, October 17, 2015 because all hospital volunteers are required to have it. My upper arm was moderately sore for a day or so. By evening, I was feeling extremely tired with malaise and weakness. This lasted until today Monday, and I'm just now starting to feel better. I think anyone who has survived a serious case of influenza would much rather put up with these mild side effects than have a case of the flu they might not survive.

Comment from: laura, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I had a flu shot on Tuesday and next day had a raised rash on the upper front of that arm. On Saturday my torso looked like measles. I had very mild itching. Never had anything like this before. I have been on diltiazem for about a month for heart attack caused by vasospasms so I don't know if it's a rash from that and just coincided with flu shot.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.