Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: MomInNC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I received the flu vaccine yesterday at 1:00 pm. By 7:00 pm, I experienced chills, low-grade fever, pain in my neck and upper back, watery eyes, cough, runny nose, and joint aches. I am feeling better this morning, but still have pain at the injection site (which covers my entire upper arm muscle), runny nose, and general weakness.

Comment from: puppup21, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I just got the flu on Sunday and I'm 26 years old. I got it last year without any bad reaction so I decided to get it again. About a day and a half later, and got a mild sore throat. The next day my sore throat got worse, I got a runny nose and then a stuffy nose. I had aches and pains, hot flashes, chills, and a bad headache. Two days later, add a cough and extreme tiredness to the list. Today, I'm feeling miserable. I have a cough, stuffy nose, I'm very achy, very tired, have the chills, and am irritable. I'm usually really healthy, but this shot hit me like a bomb. I may not REALLY be sick, but my poor body THINKS it's sick.

Comment from: KM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I received the preservative free flu shot in October and my upper arm/shoulder has been very itchy ever since. No itching anywhere else. I get the preservative free shot, as I am allergic to Thimerosal. Several years ago I had a reaction to the flu shot that had this preservative in it. The left side of my face (the side where I received the shot) experienced drooping and numbness (Bell's Palsy).

Comment from: marjorie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had my flu shot on Monday, February 3, and by the time I got home that same night, I had the chills, and the next day I started to feel sick. This was the worst flu, or reaction to it. It"s now Sunday and I just barely started to feel better.

Comment from: Farm mom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

On day two after my flu vaccine, I had muscle aches, was tired and had a headache; not severe, but enough to go to bed early.

Comment from: Lori, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I had a flu shot on October 22 and have had arm/shoulder pain ever since. I've also had headaches off and on (I very rarely experience headaches). I get a flu shot every year and have never had problems, still not sure if this is something to worry about.

Comment from: Emmie, Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

My 13 year old got his flu shot, and he was aching, sore, felt sick to his stomach, vomited, fainted twice, and had a terrible headache. He is feeling better after 48 hours, but it has been a tough two days.

Comment from: Angela, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I received a flu shot 7 weeks ago in my right arm and had a tetanus shot in my left arm. Now seven weeks later I still have a lump at the site of the flu injection with lots of soreness and pain. Quoting the nurse, “I'll give the tetanus shot in your left arm because the flu shot won't affect your right arm.” I have never had an injection site that caused so much pain and lasted for such a long time.

Comment from: SM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had the flu shot and shingles shot on the same day. The next day I woke up with severe dizziness that lasted 24 hours.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with flu shot.