Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: KM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I received the preservative free flu shot in October and my upper arm/shoulder has been very itchy ever since. No itching anywhere else. I get the preservative free shot, as I am allergic to Thimerosal. Several years ago I had a reaction to the flu shot that had this preservative in it. The left side of my face (the side where I received the shot) experienced drooping and numbness (Bell's Palsy).

Comment from: Farm mom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

On day two after my flu vaccine, I had muscle aches, was tired and had a headache; not severe, but enough to go to bed early.

Comment from: Lori, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I had a flu shot on October 22 and have had arm/shoulder pain ever since. I've also had headaches off and on (I very rarely experience headaches). I get a flu shot every year and have never had problems, still not sure if this is something to worry about.

Comment from: Emmie, Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

My 13 year old got his flu shot, and he was aching, sore, felt sick to his stomach, vomited, fainted twice, and had a terrible headache. He is feeling better after 48 hours, but it has been a tough two days.

Comment from: Angela, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I received a flu shot 7 weeks ago in my right arm and had a tetanus shot in my left arm. Now seven weeks later I still have a lump at the site of the flu injection with lots of soreness and pain. Quoting the nurse, “I'll give the tetanus shot in your left arm because the flu shot won't affect your right arm.” I have never had an injection site that caused so much pain and lasted for such a long time.

Comment from: SM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had the flu shot and shingles shot on the same day. The next day I woke up with severe dizziness that lasted 24 hours.

Comment from: Sore throat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I received the flu jab back in 2006 and 2007 around October/November. Both years in December I ended up with tonsillitis and border line strep throat. I have never prior to 2006 experienced tonsillitis. I have never since 2007 got it again and I have never took the flu jab either.

Comment from: Emmy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had flu shot on September 30th and I still have muscle pain on October 7th. It appears to travel around the area.

Comment from: Amanda Cook, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was 9 weeks pregnant and got the flu shot and my baby died. Then I got red and had rashes.

Comment from: Momof4, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I got the flu shot for the first time and by the end of the day my knees were in so much pain. It's now been 2 days since receiving the flu shot and I can barely walk. I'm not sure if it's related to the flu shot but I haven't been in this much pain! I know I have early signs of arthritis in my knees but it's never been this painful since receiving the flu shot.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with flu shot.