Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

Comment from: Treyce, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

Thank goodness I have never had the flu from the flu shot. I just had my flu shot on 10/12/15 and I feel fine.

Comment from: dg, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 13

I had the flu shot on 10-6-15, as required by my job. I never had a problem before, but now I have extreme neck, shoulder and arm pain. I have been taking 800 mg Motrin every 4 hours with no relief. It feels like I tore a muscle or my rotator cuff, ice not helping, heat not helping, and it's getting worse.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I had the flu vaccine for the first time in my life on September 28th as suggested by my doctor. Since that day I have experienced severe muscle pain, especially in my left knee, the same side I received my shot. My wrists, ankles and muscles are aching severely. I felt perfectly fine prior to this flu shot. It has now been 7 days and no relief yet. I have called my doctor and waiting for his return call. I hope this is temporary; at least the flu eventually goes away!

Comment from: OLDFIELD, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I received the senior extra strength flu shot on 2/29/15. My arm around the shot site really hurt. During the night the fingers on my right hand were hard to bend, with excruciating pain. Today one day later I am sweating and the lymph nodes under the right arm hurt. I ache and have general malaise and will just lie around today.

Comment from: michelle, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 01

I received the flu shot on Friday and this is Tuesday and I have what feels like a full blown case of the flu; fever, chills, aches, and fatigue. I am a nurse and am required to have this shot. I don't know what I will do next year, I have to work but I do not want to go through this again. I hope I feel better soon as I have to take care of patients when I feel like I am sicker than they are. Before my shot, I was going to the gym and being very active. Now it is all I can do to drive home from work.

Comment from: Annie52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I had the flu shot as prescribed by my general physician (although I very seldom get a cold or flu). However this time, within a week I was so sick, sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, aches and pains and coughing up so much mucus. I was in bed for 5 days before I felt well enough to get up! No I do not smoke. I wonder if I was run down to get so sick after finally having the flu shot.

Comment from: Flip, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had the flu vaccination shot on the 14/4 and ended up as a result, having an adverse reaction. Pulse rate 137, SpO2 92 percent, temperature 38, I have rigor, am unable to breathe and have aches across shoulders and down arms. My eyes are exuding green muck. Within 30 hours I had a heart attack! I have had previous reactions before, only to be told it was coincidental. It is not! I have still had some of the medicos state the same this time, but am fighting to have the truth acknowledged. I am not saying don't have it if it hasn't affected you. I'm saying they need to start acknowledging the side effects instead of covering it up!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 12

At age 64 I got a flu jab because I am my husband's caregiver so it wasn't the first time. I got the flu vaccine late October and still have a red circle with itch over where the jab was given. It's enough to drive you insane at times.

Comment from: Mama WOLF, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had flu shot a couple months ago and now wish I had gotten the flu. My left arm is in extreme pain with swelling of joints. The back of neck has stopped hurting but my arm is not ok. I will go to a doctor soon if it does not clear up.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.