Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

Comment from: Baileyg, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 24

I got the flu shot, mandated by my employer on 11/5/15. My arm hurt for about 3 or 4 days. I have been more tired than usual, feeling exhausted after working all day. This is very unusual for me. Today, 16 days out I started with pain in my hips, and then weak legs. I have indigestion, feel weak, achy, headache, and fever of 99.7. My arm is very painful suddenly at the injection site! It feels like someone punched me. This is so strange, I am positive this is an extended response to that flu shot.

Comment from: fred, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 24

I had 2 deep vein thromboses in my left calf 7 years ago. I did the Lovenox shots for a month then Coumadin for a year. On May 14, 2015 I felt like I had pulled a muscle in my left pectoral. I then had headaches, body soreness, and really tough workouts. Energy zapped, and blood pressure 175/159 sent me to the emergency room. I had pulmonary embolism in both lungs, and a 6 mm nodule. Treatment was Lovenox shots till blood thinned, and now I am on 3 mg of Coumadin forever. I feel good most of the time, but I get down physically and emotionally from time to time. I am a 63 year old gym rat and jeweler.

Comment from: FLU VACCINE, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I got the flu shot for the first time last year and have not been the same since. I was sick to my stomach and extremely fatigued for at least two weeks after. My left arm where I got the injection was extremely painful and every time I would eat eggs I got shooting pain from the injection site up the back of my arm into my neck and head resulting in a horrible headache. I thought I developed an allergy to poultry products because it would start after eating chicken or anything with chicken broth, eggs, etc. Allergy test came back negative. Then the extreme joint pain in fingers and toes began. I thought I was getting rheumatoid arthritis. Then the irritable bowel syndrome began and I still have that. I still cannot eat eggs today without feeling terrible and now I even get small pimples around my head and neck every time I do. I will never get flu shot again. I think a lot of the autoimmune diseases today are a reaction to the flu shot. Not everyone can take the same medication, I don't think we can all get the same flu shot.

Comment from: baj ulf, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had the flu jab four weeks ago. I've been having them for years and never experienced any side effects, but this time I had a swelling around the injection site, then I got mild flu symptoms and have suffered from extreme fatigue and body aches since then, plus returns of the mild flu symptoms. I feel under the weather all the time and had a faint 2 weeks after having it; something I've never experienced in my whole life before.

Comment from: Pjs jj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

My husband and I got flu shot on November 4, 2015. Next day we both experienced soreness and redness at injection site along with low grade fever, runny nose, sore throat, and body aches. My husband, who has asthma, has very bad cough and lung congestion and going to the doctor today. We both have gotten flu shots every year for past 20 years and this is our first time to have a bad reaction. I am not sure about getting future flu shots.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

I had the flu shot five days ago, and I have been experiencing muscle twitching in the upper arm where the vaccine was administered.

Comment from: dv, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 03

I waived the flu shot for 20 years. But was forced to get annual flu vaccination or face termination from my employer. I am a healthcare worker. I have received the annual flu vaccination for the last 3 years and each year within hours I begin to feel very fatigued and achy. This has gone on for 6 days now and I have had to take a personal day off today to rest. Of course the workplace does not admit a connection between the flu vaccine and my symptoms. I know from 20 years of waiving the flu vaccination, that my current symptoms are a result of the annual flu vaccination. It has always passed within a week, even 20 years ago; this episode is typical in my experience.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.