Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

Comment from: FLU VACCINE, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I got the flu shot for the first time last year and have not been the same since. I was sick to my stomach and extremely fatigued for at least two weeks after. My left arm where I got the injection was extremely painful and every time I would eat eggs I got shooting pain from the injection site up the back of my arm into my neck and head resulting in a horrible headache. I thought I developed an allergy to poultry products because it would start after eating chicken or anything with chicken broth, eggs, etc. Allergy test came back negative. Then the extreme joint pain in fingers and toes began. I thought I was getting rheumatoid arthritis. Then the irritable bowel syndrome began and I still have that. I still cannot eat eggs today without feeling terrible and now I even get small pimples around my head and neck every time I do. I will never get flu shot again. I think a lot of the autoimmune diseases today are a reaction to the flu shot. Not everyone can take the same medication, I don't think we can all get the same flu shot.

Comment from: baj ulf, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had the flu jab four weeks ago. I've been having them for years and never experienced any side effects, but this time I had a swelling around the injection site, then I got mild flu symptoms and have suffered from extreme fatigue and body aches since then, plus returns of the mild flu symptoms. I feel under the weather all the time and had a faint 2 weeks after having it; something I've never experienced in my whole life before.

Comment from: Pjs jj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

My husband and I got flu shot on November 4, 2015. Next day we both experienced soreness and redness at injection site along with low grade fever, runny nose, sore throat, and body aches. My husband, who has asthma, has very bad cough and lung congestion and going to the doctor today. We both have gotten flu shots every year for past 20 years and this is our first time to have a bad reaction. I am not sure about getting future flu shots.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

I had the flu shot five days ago, and I have been experiencing muscle twitching in the upper arm where the vaccine was administered.

Comment from: dv, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 03

I waived the flu shot for 20 years. But was forced to get annual flu vaccination or face termination from my employer. I am a healthcare worker. I have received the annual flu vaccination for the last 3 years and each year within hours I begin to feel very fatigued and achy. This has gone on for 6 days now and I have had to take a personal day off today to rest. Of course the workplace does not admit a connection between the flu vaccine and my symptoms. I know from 20 years of waiving the flu vaccination, that my current symptoms are a result of the annual flu vaccination. It has always passed within a week, even 20 years ago; this episode is typical in my experience.

Comment from: Peaches, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I had my flu shoot on November 01, 15. My arm is sore and I am having a burning sensation in the area of the injection. That evening I had a really bad head and neck ache. Also it felt like I had a sinus infection with congestion causing pain on the right side of my face with pain in my ear and teeth. I still have the pain this morning and aspirin is not working.

Comment from: Lesley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I had my first flu shot on Thursday 29th October. Yesterday, Saturday 31st October, my throat was incredibly sore. Today Sunday, I still have a sore throat, a cough has developed, I ache and am extremely lethargic. I didn't wake up till mid-day when I am usually awake at 7.30 am. Not impressed.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.