Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects from your flu vaccination?

Comment from: bobsmith, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I had the extra strength flu shot (Medicare wouldn't pay for the normal strength shot for me). That night I ended up in the emergency room with uncontrollable shaking and fever. I recovered, but I will probably refuse any future flu shots.

Comment from: Kim, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I received the flu shot along with pneumonia shot yesterday. My arm and neck are aching, I feel lethargic and very cold. I feel like I am getting sick. I had some sinus pain and ear pain along with it. Yikes, this is awful.

Comment from: Chatty, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 14

My husband and I had the flu jab on the 12th of November. It took just over 2 weeks before any symptoms appeared for the both of us, and I was worse than him. I started to shiver and had to go to bed for 24 hours. Then 3 days later my arm started to get slightly painful. This got worse the next day, and by day 3 I could hardly lift my elbow off the side of my body, it was very painful. I am hoping this does not last much longer. My husband had the same symptoms but much milder and is back to normal.

Comment from: Steve, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I got my annual flu shot two months ago. The moment I got it a weird sensation went through me like an electric shock. I had a large bump at the injection site for a while and now it's a scabby, itchy little rash. My arm is still sore at the site. I never had a problem before.

Comment from: Rita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I got the flu shot on Monday, November 2. By Friday, I was getting really sick. Too sick to move and go to the hospital. By Monday, it was full-blown pneumonia (I had a pneumonia shot six months ago). The doctor gave me Advair, Z-Pak, and more. My lungs cleared some but my sinuses and throat are raw. I keep getting bouts of fever. Body hurts badly. And I'm so weak, I just want to sleep. That was a month ago. If I ever feel normal again, it will be a miracle. I've had flu shots before but never got sick. And I've had the flu before but never felt this awful. I know it is a bad reaction to that stinking shot. My doctor said a lot of her patients are going through this this year.

Comment from: Fluffy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I got my first high dose flu shot 3 days ago, previously I only had regular shots. I woke up next morning tired, cranky, achy, with a slight nausea, and a red and painful injection site. I rested most of the day, I had no energy. I took lots of Tylenol and fluids. The 2nd day after was worse, I was unable to do anything but rest, eat, sleep and had the same other symptoms. On the 3rd morning after 12 hours of sleep, I was fine, arm aches gone, and I was back to normal happiness. Doubt I'll take the high dose ever again, as I've never had a reaction to the regular flu shot in my whole life.

Comment from: DeckerNC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I do have COPD, but when I went in get flu shot on November 18th I was in good health. Two days later I was suffering from a scratchy throat, hacking cough, fatigue, upper respiratory problems and mucus production. I could barely get out of bed without using my emergency inhaler. After suffering for 2 more days I went back to my doctor and was diagnosed with acute bronchitis and received prednisone and Virtussin syrup. I am still one the mend, but so far have had symptoms for 5 days; anticipate having to put up with problems for at least a 3 more days before I feel like I did before I got the flu shot.

Comment from: Huntwc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I got the flu shot on a Friday. I woke up the next day very nauseous, headachy, and lightheaded. It's been over a week now and I still feel awful. I can't think of anything else that could be causing these symptoms. I felt great prior to getting my shot.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.