Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: Jubie63143, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I got a flu shot day before yesterday and I have had a weird allergic reaction. I never had any problems before with flu shots and have no allergies. My symptoms are: day of shot stung a little, very sore the rest of the day. Next day I was very tired, arm sore, and muscle aches. Third day big red round spot on my arm, which is hot to the touch and feeling like a burn. The spot is still very sore, tongue is swollen a bit, have a sore throat, and eye vision a little blurry. I will be watching this very close and hopefully it will get better within the next few days. I will also post if anything gets worse!

Comment from: Omahagal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I had a flu vaccine on Wednesday, October 15, 2014 (mandatory for work). About 6 hours later, I suddenly became achy all over and had to leave work early. I went home to bed and suffered with terrible aches all evening and night. I felt like even my skin ached. I was in bed for 14 hours, tossing and turning; I was miserable. I went to work on Thursday and seemed a little better however about 4 pm it hit me like a brick wall again. Terrible aches all over, the feeling that my bones ached and even my teeth! I was in bed 10 hours that night, tossing and turning again, have never ever ached that bad. Friday morning, I called my doctor and asked for 800 mg ibuprofen for the aches and he reluctantly gave it to me, acting like he was just humoring me, stating it was a 'dead virus' in the vaccine and that it does not cause aches. I heard the same thing from my supervisor however I know what I know; and this is no coincidence! This is from the vaccine and I will have to truly consider if I want to ever take it again. It's been awful.

Comment from: Lewis, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I got the extra strength flu shot for elders on September 20 (approximately). I had a sore arm for about 3 or 4 days, then a sore throat for about 10 days. Now, I have felt tired and sleepy for the past several days. I hope this goes away soon, as all I want to do now is sleep.

Comment from: bo freakshow zellmer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I received the flu shot yesterday and was woken up out of my sleep with really bad chest pains and muscle pain in my arm and neck. I literally cannot move them. Along with this pain I've got a brutal headache, bad sweating, and bad stomach pain to where I can't stand up straight. My eyes are swollen and my ears hurt and I itch all over. I'll never get another flu shot, this is horrible and it is only day 2.

Comment from: Freda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I had the flu shot for the 1st time a week ago, it started off with my entire body being sore, breast, chest, arms, and legs, and then I ran a fever and broke out in hives for 2 days. After that subsided, my face continued to itch, eyes and cheeks, until I scratched so much that I broke the skin. I will never take the flu shot again, hopefully this will all go away and my skin will clear up.

Comment from: Momel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I got senior flu shot on Thursday October 10, 2014. By that evening I had bad headache, extremely warm skin to the touch, no appetite, shivering, and very sore arm. I could hardly sleep that night, but by next morning was much better and totally fine by 24 hours later. I never had any reaction to the regular flu shot and will not take senior again. Also, the shot burned a great deal when injected. I looked up senior shot and it is 4x as strong as regular; too much for me.

Comment from: Hemant, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

I took flu shots in the years 1994, 1995, and 1996 and each time on the 7th day from the respective dates I was laid up with severe fever, body aches and sore throat for a week followed by at least a week of weakness. So I decided to stop taking shots and at 82 now I am quite healthy taking regular exercise and watching my life style.

Comment from: Ka, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 14

I got my flu shot on Friday afternoon. I have had a headache since Friday night; stiff and aching neck and all of my joints hurt. I have low grade fever and my sinuses are tender/swollen. I have also been sneezing off and on all day today (Sunday) and my throat is itchy and sore. I do have allergies, but this isn't usually the time of year I have symptoms. As I have to have the flu shot (working in the health care field it's required) I don't have much choice but to get the vaccine. Ugh. Enough said.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the flu shot.