Patient Comments: Flu Vaccination - Side Effects

Did you have any side effects of your flu vaccination?

Comment from: Tracie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I got my flu shot yesterday morning. Oh my, I did not sleep last night at all because of the terrible aches and pains in all of my joints, the sinus pain and pressure and the head ache. I do not know if this is attributed to the flu shot since I have had them before with no issues but, my gosh, I sure feel like a truck ran over me.

Comment from: Eva, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I just had a flu shoot on Monday and after I got home, the left side of my face has swelled to the point I cannot get my contacts in. It is red under my eye, looks like I have been hit in the face. The area where I was given the shot is hard and the size of an orange. The doctor called in a prescription for Bactrim and now wants to see me today because the swelling is not going down. I would like to know what happened, I had no problems with last flu shots I have got. But this is my last one.

Comment from: Tish, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 01

I had to get flu shot because I'm a health care worker, required as of this year. I am strong, healthy, vegetarian, a runner, and juicer. Five to six days after the shot, I developed swollen glands and throat. I thought I might be getting a cold. Next day I had fever, stuffy head and worst head/ face ache I have ever experienced which lasted about 2 and a half days. I could hardly move my head, thought I was going to die. I think I would have if it had lasted longer. I had a temperature of 101 and couldn't eat, it was a horrible experience! I don't know what I'm going to do next year.

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

After getting my 2013 flu shot (same evening) I starting getting chills, coughing and headache. Over the next week I had nausea, vomiting and diarrhea in addition to the earlier symptoms. Now it is over two weeks later, I still don't feel well.

Comment from: jenny, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I got the flu vaccine on Wednesday and began having neck pain later in the day. It got so bad later that night I couldn't sleep. I was so stiff in the morning I needed help getting out of bed. It hasn't gotten any better yet. Wish I didn't get it this year!

Comment from: Lancs1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

The day after my flu shot I started with stiffness and pain in my neck and shoulders and a really bad headache. That was one week ago and I'm still getting a headache from morning till night every day. I've never had symptoms with a flu shot before, but I won't be having one again. These headaches are really bad.

Comment from: toogoof4u, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

It's been two weeks since I got the flu shot. The first three days I experienced a severe migraine, one of the worst ones I have ever had. Nausea for two more days. My goodness, my arm is still sore, I could not move or touch it for days. After a week I am getting excruciating pain at the injection site when I move my arm a certain way and it is 3 days now. Today I started getting an ache in my ribs, when I breathe. I am not sure if it is related but it feels like the same ache as in my arm. I have had lung problems and one removed so this has me worried. I may be taking a trip to the emergency room tomorrow.

Comment from: oliviacamron, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 28

This is my 5th time getting a flu shot. This time, 10 minutes after the shot, I had a numbing sensation in my arms and legs. My brain felt funny. My brain still aches in a strange way and it's been 72 hours since the shot. I have been sweating constantly and feeling extremely tired. Today I woke up with a sore throat. I thought the side effects only lasted 2 days but they are getting worse. I have had a bad temper also.

Flu Vaccine (Flu Shot) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with flu shot.